How do I cope till my appt??

suzygirl
suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
edited 18. Feb 2012, 04:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, sorry to bother you, when I know so many are suffering. I am in a lot of pain and wondering how to cope till my ortho referral comes through.

Anyone with experience of back/spinal/neck issues, would be much appreciated. I am in agony, but life needs to go on, and I can't put everything on hold till my appt, so any coping tips would be appreciated. Greatly!!!

I am trying to keep active, but rest, impossible balance at moment. How did you manage??

Help appreciated.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi do not have a great deal of experiance of this but wheat bags, ice warm shower non weight bearing exercises(gentle stretching) what ever you find right for you have you got memorie foam topper???? mine helps a lot. extra strong deep heat type rub keep pain meds topped up do not go to long with out or takes couple of doses to kick back in not good. distraction play games listen to music read???. some one will be along who can really help good luck
    val
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi suzy

I have pain in the top of my spine/neck where i had the discs fused. I do the chores I have to with lots of rest in between. I sit with my neck pressed into the back of the sofa and wear a scarf while resting.
    I try to keep my back and neck as straight as possible because slouching is more stress on the neck.(it is hard)
    Keep up with the pain killers too, even if they only take the edge of the pain.

Hope your appointment comes through soon
    Love & gentle hugs (((((((()))))))
    JUliepf x
  • suzygirl
    Thanks Val, I do use distraction, I play silly games on fb. I also read when I can focus.

Julie, I sit with my neck pressed into the back of the sofa as well!!!! I think trying to keep my posture correct is really hard at the moemnt. I seemm to have aggravated othe rparts of my spine by trying to ease the lower back.

I shall carry on pottering then, to try and keep my level of activity the same, as I dont want to get weak or put weight on.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Julie, do you mind if I ask you a bit more about your neck problems? Which level was it and what did the op involve etc???
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You will cope as you always do my girl, with grit, determination and your core of inner strength (you may not feel it's there at the moment, but I assure you it is). I sincerely hope they can sort something out for you which will be of real benefit: in the meantime keep up with all the meds you can to help (dullers especially) stroke your moglet and be kind to yourself. I am thinking of you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi Suzy

My neck problem was the c4/c5 disc that was touching the spinal cord. Over the years the discs had moved. This meant they had to be fused together to align them again.

I don't want you to think the same is happening to you, in your case your pain may well be treated with physio and medication.

Just keep doing what you are to relieve and cope with your pain, you seem to have a plan.

Take care
    Love & hugs
    Juliepf x
  • suzygirl
    Thanks DD, my precious Izzy has been with me constantly the last couple of days. I am sure she knows I am not well, and she is a great comfort I must admit. Thanks for taking the time to encourage me, when you are struggling yourself, its not always easy to do.

Julie, I have had this problem, for a long time. It will flare up, then settle. This time it hasnt settled and I have a new numbness in the other foot. I have foot drop and weakness in the right leg and have had for 5 years. I also have shoulder weakness and numb fingers from my neck. I was told I have nerve involvement from the start, and had mris. They suggested surgery to me and I refused. However, I think now something has moved as it has all suddenly got a lot worse and is just not settling.

Its the thought of living like this for months that is bothering me. Legs are really playing up and giving way more than usual, and the pain is making me want to be sick. The gp did say the name of the possible surgery but I cant remember. I am hoping I may just need injections etc, I shall see what they say. I am sure it will be another mri first before they decide, so thats more delays.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi suzygirl

As you probably already know l have cervical spond in the neck and have had back surgery too.

I suggest: l use heat on both areas. Do not sit at computer for too long at a time(sorry it makes me lean a bit forwards :( )

. If l can l get up and walk around and lie down too sometimes. l take my meds as prescribed...overlap them if l can...eg. anti-inflam then two hourse later painkiller and so on.

When sitting sit upright l have plenty of support behind my lumbar...when lying on my side l have a pillow beteween knees lying on back one under knees.

Lying down try no pillow, one pillow or rolled up handtowel in neck between shoulder and head.

Oh l wish l could help more Suzy my heart goes out to you hang on in there

love and hugs

Toni xxx
  • suzygirl
    Toni, thanks for the great tips. I shall try the rolled up towel, that sounds really good. I have been having hot water bottles on both areas, and am maxed out on painkillers. I have been trying ot get up and walk round every now and then, but the ppain from standing is excruciatingly unbearable and I have to sit down, which then causes another pain somewhere else.

Do you find it get worse as the day goes on?? By the evening I am climbing the walls and my legs are so unsteady.

I feel so guilty as poor hubby is doing everyhtting, and as I cant drive and its half term, he has been taxi. Cooking, cleaning, and working, poor man, I feel really bad for him. He is so good and doesnt complain, the boys have pitched in as well.
  • frogmorton
    Hi Suzygirl

yes backs do seem to get worse as the day wears on i'm afraid :( Sometimes all you want to do is for the day to be over so you can get into bed and try to sleep....then in the morning you can't wait to get OUT!!!

you sound to be doing all you can though...until you can see someone at least. Out of interest have you tried any walking aids?? walking stick(s) have helped me a little in the past?? Might be worth a try??

Your husband might be doing a bit more than you want at the moment, but Suzygirl...you are still the kids' Mum and you hold all the information needed to keep the home running in your head :wink:

Take care of yourself please and l hope you get some help very soon.

Love

Toni xx
    (did some retail therapy at the end of the road yesterday :wink: )
  • suzygirl
    Thanks Toni, I am using my zimmer frame to get round the house, if I lean forward it eases it slightly. The gabapentin increase is helping the neck pain, but not the back pain. Well, it has slightly dulled the back pain, but to be honest , that is so bad, I don't think anything would touch it.

I am glad you had some retail therapy, did you buy good things?? I miss being out, will make up for it, when better!!

Take care
  • frogmorton
    Suzy

the zimmer is a good idea a very good idea. The problem with back l always think its they are right there bang in the middle of us! Almost everything we do from laughing to stadning uses your back...sigh

Yes l did buy something nice!! Some cushion covers for the lounge which we are about to decorate :D

Love

Toni xx