Must lose some weight!!!!!

Options
emsjane
emsjane Member Posts: 351
edited 19. Feb 2012, 09:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

Ive woken up this morning with a weird groin pain, which is probably to do with the arthritis in my hips!!

But it feels like the last straw this morning and i know that i really,really need to lose some weight and it will probably help with the pain not being overweight!!

Please, please, can everyone tell me how they have managed to lose weight successfully!! It has been a lifetime struggle for me and im useless at it. I know i comfort eat and the stupid thing is as my arthritis has got worse, so ive consoled myself by eating which in turn in probably making the arthritis worse!!!! Grrrrrrrrr
LOVE EMMA X

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,
    I guess lots of us are in the same boat- how do you exercise to lose weight when so much hurts? Every time I see a GP for a review I know the weight will be mentioned, and it doesn't help when you're struggling to get to grips with the enormous imapct that arthur has on every aspect of life.

If you have a solution please share it!!!!!!
    D :(
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    No solution , but I have lost weight in the last year ; 5 stone gone and changed from wearing size 24/26 clothes to size 14/16 . No magic formula , just eat less and as I'm a wheelchairer - forget the exercise ! Not easy to do and still struggling to avoid putting it all back on , but do try as you'll feel so much better both mentally and physically . Good luck . Jillyb
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi it is so hard when you are struggling to move but try to stock up on treats that you do not often have that are good for you and do not stop those you enjoy but are not so good for you going cold turkey on chocolate etc makes you crave them even more. so little and often now as for exercise well even just moving a little extra helps and as weather improves you will be able to move more and potter out side. get groin pain looked at mine comes from my knee so ask doc to check it out no good treating wrong joint and make it little steps do not try to push your self to fast or to quick you will be over whelmed good luck and support each other has been done in past and helps
    val
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi, I struggle myself, and am unable to exercise and do find it easy to comfort eat. I am on pred so really have to watch what I eat. I have found low carbs and more protein to really help me. No processed food, plenty of fruit and veg. I have a grapefruit for breakfast, which is supposed to help fat burning.

I wish you well, it isnt easy.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi emsjane

the docs in my area can pay for us to have 12 weeks at w*ght w*tchers free. Might be worth a try?? Just a thought.

Overall though l think jilly's plan is good my sis lost 6 and half stone this way. SMALL changes do make a diference over time.

Good luck

and love

Toni xx
  • Emily
    Emily Member Posts: 124
    Options
    At my local swimming pool they do exercise classes for disabled people and swimming has low impact on joints and does not damage them, it is very good exercies even if you do not swim you can do exercises at the pool. :x :x
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    A good friend who also has RA goes to aquarobics at her local pool, she says that she copes okay with most of the exercises and the bouyancy of the water takes strain off the joints. Unfortunately there aren't any classes near me, but maybe you could enquire around near you and give it a try?
  • emsjane
    Options
    Jillyb, i can't believe you have lost 5 stone in the last year!!!! That is amazing and well done to you!!!!!

Id like to lose 3 stone, i think id be happy then.

I will look into aquafit, as now im not working at the moment there may be a daytime one i can go to. I do walk my dog, slowly, around the park almost every day, so i do get some exercise.

It's mainly what i eat, i am a terrible comfort eater and i just eat too much food! Our diet is actually very good, no processed food. I am also a veggie at the moment. It's just the snacking i need to cut out of my diet!!!

I have been quite good today and am aiming to be even better tomorrow. Thanks everyone :D
    LOVE EMMA X
  • jayney44
    jayney44 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi. I've lost 3 stone after being referred to ww by the dr. Never hungry and if I do pick, the new programme means you can account for it.

May be worth a try.

Good luck with it. I've been a yoyo dieter for years so I know how hard it is.

Good luck again

Jayney. xx
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    My main problem is snacking and comfort eating too.
    As I struggle not to snack, I have changed my type of snacks.
    Nuts and grapes, occasionally a couple of squares of chocolate with the nuts.
    With chocolate I find it better to keep a large bar of Cad***ys in the fridge and just break a few square off when I feel the need for a sweet treat. It is much less than eating a Ma*** Bar or Sn****r Bar.
    I have cut out the crisps too which is one of my downfalls and don't eat many biscuits or cakes. When having sandwiches I have celery or radishes to satisfy the need for something crunchy.
    We use Virgin Olive Oil for greasing pans etc, have poached eggs instead of fried and try to eat more white meat than red.
    Try to cut out as much fat as you can, only eating lean meat and not frying foods. Most processed meats and cheese are bad too.
    As someone has said small changes can make a lot of difference, but you don't have to cut out completely everything that you like, just be careful how much of it you eat.
    Good Luck with the weight loss, I hope I have given you a few good ideas.

Polly
    ps I, too weigh more than I should too. I am a size 16-18 and 5' 6" tall.
  • emsjane
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your help and advise, i will take it onboard!

I had an ok ish day yesterday, so im just aiming to be a bit better today!

I want to lose weight so much as i know i will be in less pain if i do!!!!

Keep up the good work all those who are dieting too :D
    LOVE EMMA X
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I cant exercise much......the most I do is getting the chariot out {rollator} and going for a bit of a walk.,...not very far.
    I go to sl***ning Wo**d...... Their advice is not to cut things out altogether....because then you will go on a real binge.
    The idea of it is that apart from free food etc you have syns for the day.
    What one member suggested was day by day......sort out your syns, chocolate {certain amount} or savoury if that is what you prefer etc etc and put it in a lunch box and go to it every time you feel hungry or peckish.....or sort a weeks syns out....it doesnt matter then you have a choice of what to snack on that day.....as the box gets emptier you have to remember thats it for the week :lol:
    Having said all that it usually works for me.....but I'm comfort eating at the moment because of problems.....but I knows I will have to go back next Tues to get weighed so it doesnt get too out of hand.......but I'm not getting very far very fast thatis pas couple of weeks.
    Good luck
    Love
    Hileena
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Reading everyones posts reminded me that I do " treats " too ; I keep a box of after %s in the freezer and have just one if desperate for something sweet ; grapes , celery and carrots are also good stand bys . Jillyb
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    Hi emsjane,
    My sis lost couple of dress sizes with the help of slimming world. She was quite big for her height after the baby and the dieting really helped her as she has no time for exercise with a toddler around :). Now she looks nearly as good as me :wink:
  • jan50ish
    jan50ish Member Posts: 47
    Options
    All my adult life I have been over-weight,managing to lose a stone or so then putting it on again. I went to SW about three years ago and lost 4 stone. Iam still a size 16 but I feel comfortable with my shape so am trying to maintain this weight. I still go to group but do not pay now because at my target; sometimes I go a bit over,(xmas,easter, and hols.) But get straght back on diet for a couple of weeks. There plan really suits me and I have made some lovely friends. The only hard bit was walking in for that first time but after that its a piece of cake, low calorie of course. Most of the big slimming clubs have their own magazine,they are full of recipes and indiviual stories from members, maybe worth buying a couple to see if there plans would suit you. Good luck!
  • jan50ish
    Options
    Also ment to say SW has a plan that is really good for veggies,that is the one I followed!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Just to add to your post....its excellent for veggies
    I only do green days....thats what I got to target on.....know nothing about red days or this new plan :lol:
    Good especially in the winter....all that stodgy FRRE food you can eat.....baked pots. pasta etc etc

Love
    Hileena
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hi Ems its a bit of a catch 22 loosing weight when your not well is so difficult. I seem to be on a diet all the time i avoid sugar, fatty food and snacks. i try to eat plenty of vege in place of spuds and eat Salmon twice a week. Then on Sunday i eat normal. I, 14 stone always been 10 stone 8 pounds. No mater what i do i just cant loose weight because i dont get enough exersize. I think the same as you if i loose weight ill feel better and wont hurt so much but alas i'm still a little fatty but iol keep trying
    Take care
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • jan50ish
    Options
    Don't tell my husband this, with the exception of his packed lunches and occaisional bag of nuts in the evening, he is also following the plan. Losing a pound here and there. He has lost about a stone and needs to get some smaller jeans!!
  • emsjane
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I have been on the WW diet for a long time and it did work for me. I haven't tried the SW diet, but i now feel like i know exactly how to diet and actually my main meals are very good, it's just the snacking i need to get my head around!!

I know what to do, it's just finding the willpower to do it and stick to it for life! Im such a yo-yo dieter!

I am desperate to lose weight!! Hopefully the willpower will kick in soon, lol :lol:
    LOVE EMMA X
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    How is it going? I lost 4 stone. I wanted for a while to go back to being veggie so that helped. Also eat your 5 a day (I never bother calorie counting fruit and veg). By the time you've eaten all that you won't need filling up! Its a way of life - some of us will only have to look at food to put weight on. If it helps its not a diet, its the way you eat from now on. So don't ban anything (just have a smaller amount). All best wishes..Mxx ps porridge in the morning now its cold is brill and fills up your tum till lunchtime.. (& you can add some fruit)..
  • Firemanphil_39
    Firemanphil_39 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    I firmly believe in lower carb... I got down to 10% body fat. ( from about 18%)
    And that was before Arthur, when I was training for ironman triathlon!
    I read 'primal blueprint' (paleolithic diet in an attempt to heal my symptoms) it's basically about controlling insulin ( it inhibits glucagon, that's role is to releases fat stores for producing energy)

Higher protein and lots of fat... Sounds scary cos we are told fat makes you fat! It doesn't... Theresca film/ documentary called 'fathead' it's the opposite of 'supersize me' a bloke eats fast food for a month and drops weight AND body fat... Some days over 50% of his calories came from fat!

Good luck!
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I've never been able to diet as such as I'm such a fussy eater. Don't really do veg or the other stuff that's good for you, lol.. Apart from fruit, love fruit..
    I was up to 13.5 stone, way too much for my height as I'm only a short ****.. Now I'm just over 11.5 stone, that's in just over three months... Secret? Bloody meds, lol.. Since I started the sulfasalazine my usually crappy appetite has totally gone. Usual daily diet now consists of a few nectarines, some satsumas, maybe a small account of chocolate and a bowl of cereal.. Not exactly the healthy way to lose weight I know.. I was exactly the same on the hydroxy too... I'm not too worried yet.. Another done and I'll be happy. Lol
    My rheumy appointment is next month, first time seeing them since started the sulfa. Will tell them why I've lost the weight when they weigh me, see what they say. Don't wanna stop the sulfa though as it's been great for my stomach problems and skin. Has eased the wrists & hands a bit too..

Good luck with your weight loss mi dear..
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • jan50ish
    Options
    Hi Emma,
    Its hard isn't it....as soon as I think diet, I develope cravings, red wine, cheese, chocolate,clotted cream. Oh the list is endless. I didn't ban these completely, but tried to incorporate them in to a healthy eating plan, I found the Slimming world plan really suited me, but I only ever set myself small targets. The thought of having to lose 4 stone daunting, wow that is 56lbs!!! but 7lbs, yes I can do that and then on to the next. As much as I could I would plan ahead, making sure I had loads of fruit for snacking, and if the choc pangs became overwhelming I found the sachets of hot choc drinks hit the spot....allowing myself one real choc treat a week. My main downfall is alcohol, a glass of red goes straight to my brain and causes my willpower switch to get stuck on off!
    Hope you find your willpower soon,
    Jan
  • emsjane
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

It's Monday tomorrow and diets always start on Monday's!!! LOL :lol:

So i will think positive thoughts today and try and be good!! It is a struggle, but i do really want to lose weight! :x
    LOVE EMMA X