emotional flare up

Options
flossy47
flossy47 Member Posts: 171
edited 16. Feb 2012, 12:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm having a wierd flare up at the moment. I had a visit from my husband's support worker this morning to discuss how he is getting on at the care home. I haven't visited him for about 2 months as he tends to get angry with me which is very upsetting . Every time I see his support worker I seem to end up crying but I don't know why it still gets to me. Anyway after she left my hands started to swell and every part of my body has started to hurt. I'm now stuck downstairs as I don't have the energy to try to move. Do you think that flares can be triggered by emotions?
I just hope things have calmed down before my docs appointment tomorrow or I might have to cancel it.
Moan over
Flossy

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Flossy poor poor you :(

l personally do believe that stress upset etc has a definite bearing on how l am. I can totally imagine that this visit would have upset you enormously and seems to have reminded you of all the emotional stuff in connection with your husband.

I hope the news from the support worker was good and that he/she is happy with how he is doing?? You can take comfort that they are looking after him for you and them visiting you is very good practise

You should rest up downstairs for now and do your very best to distract yourself if you can, unless the loo is upstairs going up can wait until much later.

Take your anti-inflams is you haven't already and watch some TV/ read and have something you like to eat.

Thinking of you

Love

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Flossy

I am so sorry to read your posting. Yes, unfortunately, I believe that emotion/stress can definitely aggravate symptoms.

I hope you do not have to cancel your gp appointment. Perhaps it may help to have a chat with your gp as to how you are feeling both emotionally and physically at this time.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Oh dear Flossy, that must be such a struggle.. I'm really sorry that you are going through this, but I'm certain that emotions can cause flare ups. I'm pretty sure that the one I'm having that started yesterday is caused by the whole ATOS stress rubbish...

I really wish you all the best mi dear...

Blokey hugs on the way (these are not just given out willy nilly you know :wink: )

[[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • flossy47
    Options
    Thanks everyone
    I don't have any anti inflamms as I can't take them. My toilet is upstairs so I will have to find the energy soon. My book is also upstairs and afternoon tv is rubbish. I'm still trying not to cry now and she left 6 hours ago. Husband is doing well as far as I can tell and they have even found something that he enjoys doing. I know they have changed his medication so maybe his mood has changed but I'm frightened to go and see him.
    I think this flare is just going to get worse unless I can stop feeling guilty for something I couldn't prevent.
    Well I'd better try to pull myself together. I just feel so low at the moment.
    Flossy
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Flossy, emotions defintely cause flare ups. It must be a very distressing situation for you, and the visit probably bought back memories for you.

I think even if you are unwell, you should try to make the gp appt, he needs to see how bad things are, and it will do you good to talk to him about how you are feeling. Even if you make it a phone appt, or ask him to visit you.

Take care now, rest up, and watch tv and relax.

(((hugs)))
  • flossy47
    Options
    Doesn't help.that I was so wound up about her coming that even with the amitriptyline I couldn't sleep last night.
    I will try to get up to the docs tomorrow. Appointment is in the afternoon so I can rest in the morning. Ironically I actually came off my anti depressants just before Christmas as I felt I was coping with everything quite well. Don't want to go back on them so I will probably not tell the doc about how I feel.
    Flossy
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    For sure Flossy, what a time you are having, sending hugs in abundance. Stress certainly causes a wide range of problems and whatever is a weak point seems to go from bad to worse in no time at all. I remember my Cardiologist saying to me "no stress, keep relaxed" :shock: that was when I was managing at least 3 wards, this was years back, now retired, but both GP and Consultants all say to keep things as stress free as possible. Easier said than done I know.

As Tony said, the stress of assessments and the like, from ATOS, are enough to knock anyone flat to the floor, just the words DWP send me into a terrible state.

Try and keep your appointment with the Dr and tell him exactly how you feel. Maybe he can offer some advice and or treatment that will ease things for you. Pills are not always the answer, but they do have their place.
    Wishing you well, take lots of care. XX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • flossy47
    Options
    Thanks bubbles. I know exactly what you mean about dwp as we had to fight to get my husband dla. That is another reason why the support worker came to see me. Apparently I was still on the claim as my husbands appointee even hour he has been in the care home for nearly a year now. The support worker suggested that I should make a claim for myself but after reading through the eligibility info and various posts on here I don't think I would get it. Maybe I'm just being stubborn and pig headed thinking that I can still manage to do everything like I used to.
    My docs don't believe in counselling so I think she will just put me back on the anti d's if I mention my emotional state.
    Flossy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh you poor thing, no wonder you are feeling so rough. Stress definitely affects matters (arthritis feeds on stress, worry, pain, tension, fear, all are meat and drink to it) but sometimes we cannot help but feed it as life can be so overwhelming at times. Your doc should remember that YOU are the patient and as such YOUR needs and wants are paramount, not what SHE thinks you should have. She is supposed to be helping - just remind her of that, yes? :wink: There are times when we have to find it within ourselves to be forceful about what we wish to happen and not allow ourselves to be fobbed off by someone's prejudice or pre-conceived notions about a course of action of treatment. We will be behind you, Flossy, supporting you all the way, remember that. (()) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • flossy47
    Options
    Well I've made it up the stairs so I'm going to have a long soak in the bath and see how I feel after that.
    Once again thanks for all the support.
    Flossy
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Enjoy the soak mi dear.. Hope it helps.

X
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • flossy47
    Options
    Long soak over. I look like a prune now.
    Just taken my meds and adjourned to my bed. Having a feeling that I will be asleep very soon. Listening to gold radio and singing along. Only problem is they keep playing songs that remind me of husband so I might have to turn it off before I start crying again.
    Once again thanks to everyone. This forum is a godsend when I'm feeling down.
    Flossy
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hi Flossy,

I hope you've managed to get a good sleep. Hope you feel better in the morning and can manage to your drs appointment.

Take care,

Magenta x
  • flossy47
    Options
    Morning folks.
    Well I sort of slept I suppose. 2hrs then awake for 3, then off again for about 3. Been awake for about 4 hrs. Hands still swollen, hips and feet painful.
    I should be able to get to the docs as it is only up the road. Shame there's a bit of a hill to get up though. Still feeling a bit emotional but I will just have to find something to take my mind off things. Not sure what though as my hands are almost useless. It's just taken me ages to type this.
    Flossy
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Flossy, I fell asleep on the settee yesterday and when my husband came home from work he woke me because I had tears rolling down my cheek, I had started crying in my sleep because of the pain. So I believe emotions can trigger a flare up.
    I truely hope you feel better in your self soon, and I hope the doctor's appt went well.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hi Flossy sorry to hear your having so many problems
    take care and i hope things get better for you
    Danny
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    let us know how you get on at the Dr's, they really cannot refuse to refer you for counselling. Anti depressants do help, both with helping to lift mood, but also for pain relief, dependent on your diagnosis. I would definitely ask for further support. Take lots of care, XX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • flossy47
    Options
    Back from the docs. I didn't mention my emotional breakdown as I feel alot more positive today. I just have to accept that hubby is in the home and will be staying there. I am fine with this as long as his support worker keeps away.
    My amitriptyline dose has been increased to 20mg. I am giving naproxen another go this time with lansoprazole twice a day. Hopefully this will dull the pain enough. Got to go back in a month to check how I'm getting on.
    Flossy