my OA and its pain

Options
only49
only49 Member Posts: 1,207
edited 20. Feb 2012, 16:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
afternoon all.

i been told my OA in my knees, as i was told i had this back in 2008, now in 2012 i am still having the pain and all that goes with it, but i noticed something, before my knees start hurting, i get a cold feeling in my thighs above the knees, then my knees start hurting, its like my legs have got cold that sort of feeling, BUT how can they as when i go out i wrap up warm, i got some ski pants, ( i call then snow trousers ) they are really cosy cant even feel the cold when i out, sheer bliss, but i still feel cold on my legs when i am inside, and when i rub them its feels sore a bit like you touch a bruise, sort of feeling, i hope i decribed that right, my rest of the body warm enough and the house is not cold, am i imagining it, but just thought i ask, and pick other peoples brain.

thanks
sylvia :)stern02.gif

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't know the answer but I wonder if it is to do with circulation? That is what springs to mind Sylvia.

I also get that bruise feeling when rubbing the thighs so know how you feel.

And my right hand is always cold yet my left is okay! I'm sure it has something to do with the circulation but maybe someone can enlighten us?

Hope you are coping up in Scotland! Also hope your birthday went well.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Both my knees are constantly like blocks of ice, feet too but have had tests for circulation etc, all came back ok..
    I was on holiday in Spain the other year, laid on the hot sand in the blazing sun with skin blistering, knees were so cold that I covered them with the hot sand, lol..
    Have had OA in knees for about 30 yrs now (God, when I read that back it just doesn't seem real :? ) and more recently have been diagnosed with RA in them too.. The cold feeling has been there for many yrs so I've always related it to the OA..
    It's something that you should mention to your Doctor though.

Best of luck...

e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Sylvia

someone else on here has mentioned this icy feeling kind of numb l think he describes it.

Keep those warm trousers on up there.

Love

Toni xxx
  • only49
    Options
    I was wondering that my self, but then I thought no cant be surely, oh well keep thinking and let me know what you think it.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi Sylvia sorry to poke my nose but can I ask you do your feet sometimes feel kind of clammy when it happens? , also do you ever get a kind of light numb almost tingling feeling in your lower legs and or maybe even in your feet from time to time as well? , also when it happens/ becomes active do you find within a few days of it setting in you sometimes get an increase in general OA pain, and or do you ever get another different pain that only comes when your have the cold feeling.
    Lastly when your having the cold feeling do you also sometimes get a sickly kind of discomfort or pain that comes on slowly when you get up and move about to much.
  • only49
    Options
    hi mellman

no its starts out cold feeling first, in my thighs and knees and then it starts hurting in my knees followed by the thighs, heat the hotter the better is all that stops it, feet are ok, i been thinking about it, i think its more nerve pain/ muscles also just thought of something, when its doing its worse, i feel very tired.
    the more i do the more it hurts, how can you pace yourself with something like this.

is that any help.

thank goodness i am not going mad heh,
  • cinders65
    cinders65 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi Sylvia I think I have mentioned this before but it could be nerve damage. I get this in my thigh. A tingling, numb, cold, feeling then the pain

My GP says it is nerve damaged caused by the OA in my hips.

Gave me gabapentin but couldn't cope with it so stopped it.
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    I suppose it could be down to some sort of nerve damage. I get a feeling as if I have cold water in my shoes before my feet play up and I know I have nerve damage in my toes from a disc problem years ago.
    Mention it to your doctor when you go again if it is worrying you, he/she may know.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    High Sylvia now then this is the most important question, do you find any analgesia works when it's like this or not?. If not then it's a neuropathic pain problem and you'll need other drugs like Pregabalin or Gabapentin or one of the 16 types of Nortriptyline to block it as normal pain med's are useless against the neuropathic pain pathways, my pain goes through Tramadol like a knife through butter. I have it in both knees from OA of the Patella, it kicked off post op 4 years ago, drove me mad as no one had any idea what it was, I finally had a consultation with a Neurologist 3 years after the OP, and who said my experience was fairly common and that I wasn't going crazy as pain meds are useless so what I was saying was correct.
    Also working through it will only make it worse, you can't do the normal thing of working through OA pain it will just make it get worse until you have no other option to rest, for me it can take days to go and it leaves me totally drained much more that the OA pain does. As pain goes it's a different breed altogether a real Jekyll and Hyde character and one I am still fearful off even now.
  • Puschinka
    Puschinka Member Posts: 176
    Options
    Hi Sylvia,just read your post. Re the cold feeling - I get that too. Some nights, even though I always heat my bed via electric underblanket before I get in, my legs and feet are so cold, its like my very bones have turned to ice.I was told this is down to poor circulation. Whenever I do go out in the cold, I always put on my 'kneejumpers',as I call them affectionately. My Mum sent me these from Germany ( am sure they must sell them here), they are made of very warm angora wool, no thicker than a tubigrip but not as tight and uncomfortable and they really do keep my knees lovely and warm. Apparently this helps the circulation aound the kneejoints which in turn keeps the knees warm and lessens the pain. Sometimes.
    Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.