advices about methotrexate

serah24
serah24 Member Posts: 34
edited 18. Feb 2012, 06:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello again, yesterday i have seen my rheumy and as i was expecting,she gave me methotrexate as a base medicine again(P.S: i have been took it since 7 years and my ex rheumy stopped it without mentioning a reason,maybe it wasn't effective enough).So, now this Dr. wants to try it again as a base to slow down the progression of the disease.her plan is to take methotrexate for 3 months alone at first,with having a test done each month, due to my previous liver failure with arava,and then after the three months if it shows that it's effective with relieving the symptoms and preventing the damage,then there will be no need to take a bioilogic,however if it doesn't,then we'll try enbrel as a combination with MTX.this is the new plan!..well i would like to get some advices about methotrexate since i've forgotten how it works lol! it has been 6 years since i stopped it, and also i want to know if any of you had stopped it and then retook it with successful outcomes or no..
Note: i am taking with it folic acid with a dosage( 3 pills of mtx one day per week ,followed after two days by 3 days of folic acid) to prevent drugs from working against each others,that's what my Dr said.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have been on a combination of meth (injected) with humira (also injected) since July 09. Meth is often used to support a biologic/anti-TNF treatment so this is not an unusual situation. We are all different in what works, in how much it works and for how long it works. I have to grudgingly admit that this combo has 'worked' for me in that my PsA is well-controlled (for the most part) but due to the presence now of OA in my knees and ankles pain levels have risen and the crutches have been replaced by a rollator. Never mind eh? At least one problem is kinda sorted and I should be grateful for that.

As to how it works well, I have no idea as it never helped when I was on it before. :) I guess it is like the others of its genre, it's meant to control the inflammation by reducing the immune system. When on it you must be conscientious about your blood tests and my hospital always told me not to take it if I had a sore throat or temperature as these things would indicate an infection was present. I wish you well and I hope it works for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Sereh

funny how they seem to have assumed you know all about this medication because you have been on it before, but as you say thet was a good bit back :wink:

I am not on mtx myself so can't help you much, but it does look as though you have a 'plan' there!!

Just wanted to wish you luck and offer my support

Love

Toni xx
  • serah24
    Thanks Toni and DD for your replies..well i know that methotrexate doesn't seem as a very effective or new drug for me and i know it might not work either as i wish..but since i failed with the rituxan with previous many failures and allergies with most of the biologics and DMARDS , and since i am still dependent on the prednisone which i hate the most, then this seems as something to hope for maybe..if not then the enbrel might help..if not then God may help!! :lol: today i took my first pill( i am dividing them 3 times per day,each time 5 mg so the total is 5 mg to decrease the chance of side effects)...i really don't know if it will help or no,all i know is that i took it many years ago,and now i am retaking it and till now i haven't heard anyone here having a similar case..
  • georgie66
    georgie66 Member Posts: 403
    would be interested to know about anyone on methotrexate as my rummy wants me to try this and i am afraid to go on it.
    i had such bad side effects on salfrasalizine .
    can it be taken tablet form as i don't fancy injections either..

have to see rummy in two weeks to decide..
    georgie
  • serah24
    Well yes georgie it can be taken in oral pills or injections( i have tried only pills when i was 14 years old) and now i am retaking them.maybe you had some researches here and you know that methotrexate works differently with each body.it had great benefits with some people and lead into remission,on the other hand, some others had no improvement with it,so it depends, but it's a medicine worth trying since it is a basic drug for RA. i would advice you to ask your rheumy(if he or she doesn't already prescribe it with MTX) to take folic acid while taking it to prevent its side effects.good luck
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    georgie66 wrote:
    would be interested to know about anyone on methotrexate as my rummy wants me to try this and i am afraid to go on it.
    i had such bad side effects on salfrasalizine .
    can it be taken tablet form as i don't fancy injections either..

have to see rummy in two weeks to decide..
    georgie

Hi georgie
    I have been on methotrexate (5x2.5mg weekly + 1x5mg folic acid 24hrs later) for several years.
    Fortunately,to date,have suffered no side effects and has given very good control of my RA.Have bloods done every 4-5 weeks.
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Hi,

Hope you find some releif with the methotrexate. I have been on it since I was diagnosed with RA last year - I am now on 20mg once a week along with Sulfasalazine and Planequil - so far, I have had no ill effects from any of the meds apart from ocassional bruising. I had to have blood test weekly for the first 2 months but now have bloods done once a month. Really hope it works for you this time

Jan
  • georgie66
    georgie66 Member Posts: 403
    oh thanks for all the reply s..it has been helpful..
    i have had RA for 10yrs and for the last 5yrs OA has set in ..

i think i will try methotrexate and will definitely ask about taking folic acid while taking it serah..next week when i see my rummy..

have to try something as i seem to be having more bad days than good these days..
    thanks again
    georgie
  • lorraines
    lorraines Member Posts: 77
    Hi, I am on methotrxate and enbrel both of which I inject twice a week I have been on them for the past 2 years and the relief when I started them was amazing and do keep my PA well under control ,like you I couldn't tolerate sulfazasline of many other medication I tried ,that was why I optedf or injections I don't get the nasty side effects of taking tablets. I am a coward and the thought of injecting myself scared me but honestly it doesn't hurt I inject in to my stomach for one (plenty fat there :D ) and my leg for the other one (again plenty fat) and I just tell myself couple of seconds a week for the relieve it brings well worth it.
    I hope this helps and you get sorted soon
    Take care x