more joints joining in

purpleunicorn
purpleunicorn Member Posts: 67
edited 16. Feb 2012, 11:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone

I was wondering if other joints apart from the initially affected one can be affected within the course of days or weeks? My back has been a problem for a long time, but within the last few weeks my right hip has become more and more painful, followed by my right knee, and now my right elbow, both hands and a horrible sensation in my left arm which today made my arm feel like it didn't belong to me, sort of numb and then hot. My fingers also felt swollen.

My GP suspects arthritis as do I, but x rays of my hip showed nothing wrong.

Does the speed and symptoms fit arthritis in your experiences?

Thanks

Aly x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    They don't fit my experience, sorry! I now have about 38 affected joints and it all began with just one 1997. I have both an inflammatory arthritis and OA - the OA appears to have occurred more rapidly (over a period of about four years, I reckon, only confirmed last April via Xrays). Every single one of us is different in how we are affected and how rapidly - and what one might think is an arthritis-type ache or pain could be caused by the rest of the body being thrown out of kilter as we try to protect an affected joint (or joints). It's not easy sometimes distinguishing what is what! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • purpleunicorn
    purpleunicorn Member Posts: 67
    Thanks DD, and sorry you have it so widespread. I am getting quite unnerved by the numbness in my arm, and am wondering if it's something else entirely. I have GP on Saturday morning so will see what he says then.

Thanks again

Aly x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's just one of those things hon, arthritis spreads and for some it spreads faster than for others and for a few it really doesn't ever get properly going which must be nice! I hope the GP can help with the numbness thing, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben