Charity Bags

Options
prefabkid47
prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
edited 20. Feb 2012, 09:43 in Community Chit-chat archive
If you are like us you'll no doubt get 'charity bags' coming through your door asking you to donate unwanted clothes,bric-a-brac,etc.
It is always advisable to read the small print on the bag if you want it to go to your chosen cause!
We were going to fill some bags for a cancer charity,a cause we support for family reasons.We assumed it was for cancer research in the UK,on reading the small print both the collection company and the charity were registered in Lithuania.The collection company would donate a portion of the proceeds of the sale of donated goods (which I calculated to be less than 10%) to a screening programme in that country.
I'm not saying the charity wasn't genuine but how would this be monitored?We had other bags,this time from 'Cancer UK' which we filled!
Has anyone similar experiences or check the 'small print'.
''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I always check the bags, if I don't like what I read I add whatever I can to them then take them to the local Hospice shop. We go through phases here, none at all for a while then one every day for a week or so! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I never give anything away in these bags as to me it sounds like a right racket. The person is paid to push the bags through the door, the van driver and helper(s) are paid in some way too.

I take my "stuff" to local charity shops where they are priced and put in their shops and no one has been paid a dime to get them there.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    We get so many of them here. I won't use any of them. It's usually some scamming shifts who then sell the clothes at car boot sales etc. anybody can print s logo on a bag.
    I always take our stuff direct to the places I want them to go to. It's a shame because there are genuine ones...
    Del, like the idea of using them for bin bags. We usually just throw em straight in the recycling bin. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP