What's your speed and distance?

Options
PollySid
PollySid Member Posts: 343
edited 27. Feb 2012, 05:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
One of the questions on the DLA form asks about how far you can walk and how long it takes you.
I found this one particularly difficult to fill in.

I can walk round the block (don't know how far it is though) with my stick and slowing down considerably the further I get round. I am leaning heavily on my stick and dragging my leg by the time I get home.

I do better in town, about 30 mins is my limit before I slow right down. I think it is easier shopping as you tend to walk slow anyway when you are browsing in shops.
As long as there is not a long wait at the till where I have to stand still for any length of time, because that is very uncomfortable and has me jiffling to try to stop parts of me aching.

Walking back to the car after 30 minutes round the shops is another ball game altogether. Husband sometimes has to bring the car to me. Supermarket carparks are not usually a problem as I can manage that length, it is just town carparks that can sometimes be quite a distance.
(I've just read that through and wondered if it is time to apply for a Blue Badge)

These are all on reasonable days, on a bad day I would struggle with any length of walking, even from my armchair to the kitchen. :(

I have OA in various joints, mainly spine and legs, and I think I am still in denial about how much it affects me.

Have any of you ever worked out how long it takes you to do, say, 500yds?

Comments

• CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi PollySid, is that how far without severe pain and discomfort. I put 0 as although i walk there is always pain but on a bad day , when i would fill form in, it is severe pain so 0metres , very slow .

Remember most people are being turned down, so ask them to reconsider if this happens.

Take care and good luck x
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • PollySid
    Options
    I find this severity of pain question very difficult. I had a bad disc prolapse a few years ago so I tend to use that as a guidline for severe pain.
    If I had what I would call severe pain when I was out I would not be walking at all, just trying to crawl and screaming at every movement (that was how my disc prolapse was).

In comparison with that, I tend to call my OA discomfort or hurt. Severe pain to me is not being able to sit up, move from A to B or even stand upright.

Any walking causes me discomfort, it turns into hurt and pain the longer I am on my feet or doing anything (ironing springs to mind).
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I can walk for about five minutes with the crutches, then I need a nice sit down. With the new rollator I can manage about eight minutes, then I need a nice sit down (which I can easily do as it has its own seat.) Without either aid, I can go about two paces and stuff twinges, eight and it's really hurting and by the time I've done about fifteen all hell breaks loose. When I have to fill in my repeat application for the BB I do time myself, it serves as a useful measure of how things have deteriorated over the years! :) Just be honest, that's all you can do. Walking is not supposed to hurt, that's the rationale behind this I suppose. DD

PS I iron sitting down now, it's hellishly awkward but it stops the knees, ankles and toes exploding, it's only the sacro-iliacs that complain.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • PollySid
    Options
    What's sacro-iliacs?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    They are the bony joint in the pelvis which join the sacrum to the ilium. They connect via strong ligaments and you can feel them in your bottom when you are sitting (and in my case standing and lying too). DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I find ALL the questions difficult Pollysid!
    Good luck with the claim, best say you have pain at all times if that is the case.If it starts well for a few metres of walking say that.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    Options
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, and please don't quote me, but, I've heard that the new guideline is that if you can walk 70 yards/metres without difficulty you won't qualify. Whatever you tell them, make sure you tell them how it is on your very worst day. Good luck xx
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Cloud 9. i think it is 50 metres.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Speed and distance ? Depends on the fitness of the person pushing my wheelchair ! Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    :wink: Nice one Jillyb! DD
  • mimiofdc
    mimiofdc Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hello PollySid,

I recently received my blue badge. I have ankylosing spondylitis, and osteo, primarily in my hips, knees, etc. and have for decades.

I had a lot of trouble with that question also. But in reality every single step is painful and difficult and requiring a walking aid, so in the end it was 0 for me.

My husband convinced me by pointing out how many things I had given up by not being able to walk much (shops, post office, school run, etc.). My GP was also supportive although he had warned me they weren't handing them out easily these days.

It took a little pride swallowing first to apply, then to use it. But after just a few weeks using it, it has improved my quality of life, as I don't have to rely on hubby or someone else to run some of the errands that I couldn't manage.

I wish you good luck!
  • Puschinka
    Puschinka Member Posts: 176
    Options
    For me, after 100 yards of walking ( only able to take very small and sow steps!) with a cane or crutch, discomfort in my worst knee goes to pain, with intermittent agonizing stabbing pains and the knee feeling really unstable and wobbly.My 'good' knee then also starts to hurt and wobble. Yesterday, as it was such a glorious day, I was determined to have a 'proper' walk, and forced myself to walk through the pain, cane on one side, boyfriends' arm for support on the other side. At snails' pace.After 20 minutes I was completetly done in. This was with frequent stops and sitting down on a bench for a few minutes. I paid the price all evening and hardly slept all last night... But at least I got some sunshine on my face and felt the spring in the air, if not in my step. But oh - how depressing to think that only 3 months ago, my fella used to say to me when we were out walking "will you slow down!? We're not in a race!" As I always used to love a really brisk walk and never enjoyed a slow stroll. :(
    Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.