Yes or no.. would you work for free at Tesco

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 1. Mar 2012, 16:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
A multi billion pound organisation that makes £££££££££ per second.
Something doesn't seem to be right.
Would you work 40 hours free for them. mmmmmmmm
I'll kick it off with a no, because I'd feel cheated when the rest of the workforce got the pay packets at the end of the week.
Awaits reply off Del with baited breath. Alanthemanc

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    No

m04113.gif
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I think all work deserves pay at a wage on a par with other such jobs and on or above the minimum wage so no I wouldn't.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,931
    Options
    Hi Alanthemanc
    i would if i could be on the checkout as its some thing i would love to do.
    i'm happy going to the self service in sa******
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    I could do the check out £1 for tesco £1 for me £1 for tesco £5 for me no if you work you should get paid.
    I have worked since i was 15 i'm not getting anything i never paid for or paid into
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I would and have done with my own business. When parents have fallen on hard times I have continued tuition at no cost, and why not?

I've been pondering about this since Tesco withdrew their ad. People who work for free are usually called 'volunteers'. Their numbers are falling and this is probably the reason why, viz the notion of doing something for little or no financial reward is deeply, deeply unfashionable at the moment. Not all of us can earn mega-bucks being non-entities on the telly, or wizard surgeons, bankers, teachers, racing car drivers, Local Authority Chief Executives or MPs, but people could give a little of their time to help others. The term 'earning benefits' is widely used so let's start making that a proper reality. Right, I'm off to earn the meagre crust that keeps my bank account just in the black. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Options
    Del
    Sorry, not as quick off the mark as you, fastest thread maker in the west. I hate the Tesco in my town, they know they have a monopoly, so they rule our town council who are too scared to say anything bad about them. Alanthemanc
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hell No!! :lol:
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I assume this is to do with the esa work related activity group? I know they were on about making folks on there do this..

Put it this way, if I was healthy enough to do 40 hrs at a job then I'd go get a real job. I would really like to be able to go to work. As things are, I'm totally unable to do so. Plus I wouldn't do it for a major money making factory. If I was able to volunteer I'd rather help a charitable company out.
    I hate this disease right now, it's ruined my life :x
    I hate the fact that J has to work so hard while I am at home utterly useless... :x :x
    :x :x :x :x :x :x
    Not a happy chappy today, sorry...
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    instead of helping tescos get free labour and more profits cant there be work experience for jobs in public services so it helps the community...e.g. helping in libraries, helping in schools, etc... everyone is a winner but i dont think someone should work full week for no pay, just a few hours to get experience and sometiig to put on their cvs.
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    The time honoured Quote"Only Fools and Horses......" :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Yes i would do anything to help my country Why for gods sake i would even pay them whist i sat in the house.
    What if we asked the PM to do his job for nothing i bet he would jump at the oppertunity. dont forget you folks where all in this together. Come on now off you all go to work. Line the pockets of the already rich so they can screw us some more.
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • georgie66
    georgie66 Member Posts: 403
    Options
    hell no i would not work for free..
    only in a charity shop which i have done in the past..

and tony you are not useless..you have made me and a few i am sure feel a lot better just reading your postings and poetry.and your little man dancing .
    hope your having a better day today.
    georgie :)
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Would i do it NO
    My nephew has done several schemes like this and he is a hard working lad...and has it lead to a permanent job....ummmmm NO. I do believe that not only young people need experience but they should be paid for the work they do.. No such thing as a free lunch and people cannot live on fresh air..... Just cheap or should i say free labour ...great for the business that do it but that in turns puts paid people out of work... doesn't it?????
  • bounce
    bounce Member Posts: 106
    Options
    My answer would be a very loud NO.

Years ago I was in a scheme like this where you worked full time and the government paid the firm money for taking us on, no prospects of being taken on, even got told by the boss they offered us money to teach you stuff, I needed another pair of hands with the extra work we have on, and dont get comfortable here as when your times up you are out, I didnt last that long, as I tore my knee cartlidge walking to that flipping firm in the snow and ice. called me on the phone and told me dont come back youre out.

the government are putting people out on work experience or whatever they call it now just to massage the jobless figures,

Oh and by the way it was the last Tory government that kicked me in the teeth like that.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr Rant over.

These schemes never work in favour of the poor jobless people, it only works for the firms unfortunately. :(