Claiming DLA as well as Carer's Allowance

Options
emsjane
emsjane Member Posts: 351
edited 26. Feb 2012, 13:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

My situation is this:- I have a son with Autism and claim DLA for him and Carer's allowance for myself caring for him, he is 15 years old.

Now, my arthritis is getting worse, i am considering claiming DLA for myself. If i do that, will i lose the Carer's allowance i claim for caring for my son???????

It all seems very complicated, im sure they do that on purpose!!! Also, im not severely disabled yet, but i feel working might not be an option for me anymore and walking is a problem for me, also my hands are affected a lot, which makes any job difficult, that's why im considering claiming DLA, but i don't want to be worse off financially. My partner works and earns a reasonable wage, so im not sure how much that affects what im entitled to.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks :)
LOVE EMMA X

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm in exactly the same position. I get MRC and HRM DLA for myself and claim carers for my Son (with autism). I spend a lot of time in pain having to follow him around and clean him up.
    If I didn't claim carers I would get more on the tax credits as carers is a taxable benefit.so I'd be no worse off.Carers also goes towards N.I contributions for pension which as far as I am aware stops when a child reaches 13(?) with child benefit.

The answer is you can currently claim both as long as you qualify for carers(you cannot earn more than £100 p.w, etc) but there is talk it may change in the future.

Hope you manage okay. I know what it is like.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hi Ems not much help with this sort of stuff Elizabeth seems to know her stuff. if you get stuck i would talk to the CAB they are pretty good with people.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • tkachev
    edited 25. Feb 2012, 09:54
    Options
    I'm referring to HRP credits towards the state pension and that stops when a child reaches 12 but not for those who care for a severely disabled person for at least 20 hours per week At this point I do not know what counts as severely disabled but intend to find out on Monday as my youngest child that qualifies for child benefit has reached 12. This is important to know if you intend to give up work and have not got enough qualifying years towards the state pension.

Your Son has to be receiving middle or higher rate care for you to get carers on his behalf but you already get that. You cannot receive carers if your earnings are over £100 (after deduction of certain expenses)

Being in receipt of DLA will not stop you from getting carers on someone elses behalf.

Thought I'd put this all up as you are thinking of giving up work.

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Colin1 wrote:
    Hi Ems not much help with this sort of stuff Elizabeth seems to know her stuff. if you get stuck i would talk to the CAB they are pretty good with people.
    Colin

I'm going through a financial sort out at the mo! Had to do a lot of reading.

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • emsjane
    Options
    Elizabeth - do you also claim DLA for your son with Autism too??? That means having two lots of DLA coming in and carer's allowance??
    LOVE EMMA X
  • emsjane
    Options
    Thanks Colin, our CAB around here is an absolute nightmare to get an appointment!!
    LOVE EMMA X
  • tkachev
    Options
    Yes I get 2 lots of DLA.Plus I get carers for my Son and OH gets carers for me.

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I have looked at this post with interest as i am awaiting a decision on son getting dla and then i can apply for carers. if i get turned down i am off to tribunal. I should find out soon what is happening. He has dyslexia, dyspraxia and high functioning autism. Hope you get some ideas of others im a novice on this subject sorry Joanne
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    emsjane

l know some who do claim both so suggest you go for it!

You caring for them doesn't mean you don't need care.

Good luck

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    Options
    Currently people in receipt of DLA for themselves are able to claim carers on behalf of someone else. However it is 'being looked at' so there is a possibility it could change in the future.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • emsjane
    Options
    Thanks for info everyone! :D
    LOVE EMMA X