Blood test results

Aimer66
Aimer66 Member Posts: 50
edited 25. Feb 2012, 13:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

Been to my GP this morning for the results of blood tests earlier in the week during a substantial flair up and as suspected they are "not normal".

Very high CRP 120+ and very abnormal liver function ( she did say what but I was lost at that point).

Now I have to try and get another appointment with the consultant and have more blood work done.

Feeling like sh1t at the moment :(

Are abnormal blood results common with arthritis or does it depend on the type? I do know I am sero neg.

Thanks,

Mark.
Want what you have.

Comments

• Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm not going to be much help here but yes your bloods can be up and and depending what meds you take they could be even more so.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah, abnormal bloods. Amongst other things they can show whether the arthritis is active and/or whether the meds are harming the liver. My ESR and CRP used to be in the 160s-170s but the right combo of meds has reduced them to very very little. Enbrel tried to explode my liver (ALT around 685) but I felt fine, I had no idea anything was wrong. What meds are you taking? I hope you can get an appointment soon with your rheumatologist - does your hospital have a rheumatology helpline you could ring for advice? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Aimer66
    Aimer66 Member Posts: 50
    Just on Arcoxib at present as it been relatively stable.

Was offered Salasazaprine (?) but as I as quite "normal" didn't bother.
    Want what you have.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think you mean sulphasalazine? Salazopyrin? It has a number of names! It is one of the 'milder' DMARDs, (disease-modifying things) so it was probably suggested to help support the Arcox (I think that is an anti-inflammatory). The sulph affects the immune system by suppressing it so that the arthritis is denied its fuel, and it is often used in conjunction with an anti-inflammatory and/or methotrexate.

When an arthritis is an auto-immune type I know the drugs are not a wonderful prospect but they are necessary to help fight the progression of the disease. Sulph was my first one and I have been on it for ten years now (but arthritic for fifteen). It keeps the psoriasis part of my PsA at bay (although that has never been a major factor) but did not affect the arthritis as I began it too late. I know that taking medication long-term is not everyone's idea of fun but I firmly believe the sooner one starts the better one's chances of not letting this disease get too much of a hold. Everyone's arthritis is different, everyone is different in how and at what rate they are affected, but I firmly believe that the earlier one can have the meds the better one's chances of a better outcome. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben