organizing an awareness day

Options
suncatcher
suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
edited 7. Mar 2012, 18:50 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi i am organizing an awareness day and am asking what would you like to see at an awareness day if you were to go to one. any ideas welcome thank you Joanne
Joanne

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    well done you.. Erm.. Good question..
    Maybe, available treatment info?
    Basic facts for none arthritis sufferers so that they can have a little understanding.. Fatigue etc..?
    Sorry, im stuck, lol
    I'm sure folks will be along though.

Don't think that you are around this area? West Yorkshire?
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • suncatcher
    Options
    Some good ones there I was also gonna include maybe how to care for someone with arthritis as everything is aimed at sufferers i wont everyone in family to be considered. thanx
    Joanne
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hey Joanne well done to you.
    I think its good some great things will come out this post. I think that includeing how to care is perhaps the wrong wording and might be the affects of Arthritis on those who care for us. I could give you some good examples on that one.
    Another good one i think is stigma the way we look , how we walk, the effects of 24/7 pain, and the meds we take, how people dont see sick people when they look at us. I call it an invisible illness.
    Another good one would be an explination of RA and the autoimmune diseases Max would help out with that one. I think its a great idea and you will get so much from it yourself. You have to tell us all where and when and what made you think of it.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,410
    Options
    Hi Joanne

some A/C volunteers do these don't they? l only ever went to one and REHAB was on the information stand :shock:

So l have no idea what he had....leaflets l think??

I like the idea of something for those who care about us though Joanne...leaflets - a book list printed off?? Info on the courses A/C run like managing your long term condition???

This time l WILL come along if l can?? Let me know as soon as poss if l can be of help because of the kids.

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Good on you, Suncatcher. I'd like to see much, much more awareness of arthritis affecting small children and how their parents cope.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • suncatcher
    Options
    I am gonna hold back on the date for now as i have a meeting on that one soon. I have the rooms booked. I have loads of ideas but wished for some opinions ideas from you. I can make sure there is something for everyone there on day and also there will be a few things on leading up to that event that week.
    I wish it to be informative, sign post people to help, organizations in area which can help them. I would like it to be positive.

Colin sorry for wrong wording wrote it last night when exhausted you are quite right there :oops: and if you have any ideas i would be most welcome. :D

I am asking for poetry and personal experiences to be shown in the library maybe shared by readings out. They will be getting hold of every book available on the subject and associated subjects info in the library
    the local branch of arthritis care are coming to my meeting. frog morton but would welcome a visit from the mighty rehab as he lives in the west midland area ands it would be nice to meet others also. will give out dates etc near time.

I will see if there is any info or a talk about children to include on day sticky wicket.
    nras are included in event details still to be decided.
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Joanne

sounds like a lot to organise there.

Well done you :)

Love

Toni xx

PS l will watch this space :wink:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Joanne

some A/C volunteers do these don't they? l only ever went to one and REHAB was on the information stand :shock:

So l have no idea what he had....leaflets l think??

I like the idea of something for those who care about us though Joanne...leaflets - a book list printed off?? Info on the courses A/C run like managing your long term condition???

This time l WILL come along if l can?? Let me know as soon as poss if l can be of help because of the kids.

Love

Toni xxx
    Oh how I remember that, was it really funny or what, my boss did not know what the hell was happening between us :D

still regret not being able to get there would have been so good to see our god in the flesh might get there one of these days

what would i like to know it a hard one you do not want to scare any one but also they will need to know who what and where help is available would love to have one near here just to find out which swimming baths are arther friendly and warm, who to see when you need help and who can explaine to mum she does not have to panic lol well done it a great idea good luck what area are you in i have forgotten??? val
    val
  • suncatcher
    Options
    Old bury in west midlands
    Joanne
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    For me, as I have no idea and mymhubby would be supportive of me doing this. Some exercise tips, not the gym or swimming, but exercise I can at home. For example stretching, as I have no idea at all. It would be benficial for me and I'm sure for others too.

The west midlands eh? Toni, I may have to tag along with you on this one :D

Not too far away for me

Janie
  • Compositor
    Compositor Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Hi All,

I have had some experience of doing these Awareness Days with AC, I assist the AC North West Region at their various venues. Some of these are not neccessarily organised by AC...usually some other charity/support groups and AC if they was to participate on the day. As with all areas, we have some great volunteers for AC, and, usually people from differences branches (volunteers) to assist one anothers AC Awareness. I can't speak for other Regions, but, our North West Region are extremely supportive, providing banners/leaflets and their knowledge AC, which in turn help the people who are helping on the day to gain exerience for future events. We had one locally at the end of January, there were stalls there from Well Women/Age UK Wigan/Carers Association/Active Living Wigan Borough to mention a few, and, the benefit most people got on the day was information and connections with possible organisation that may help them personally. I've always found it to be a pleasurably day, it can be worked in shift form to make easier for everybody so as not to put too much on people generally. I wish you good luck with it, please come back to me if I can help with any information (not saying I know all), but, I would certainly get Region on board, although recent cuts by AC may be a problem.

John xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    [The west midlands eh? Toni, I may have to tag along with you on this one :D

Not too far away for me

Janie[/quote]

Good idea Janie...and Rose too?? You think??

love

Toni xxx

As for me and Rehab...it gets worse...Katekelly was there too :shock:
  • suncatcher
    Options
    pm sent to you frogmorton. It would be nice to meet you what will you have to identify yourself pm for that one.
    Joanne
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Joanne,

Wish I was nearer as I would also join the girls and come give you some moral support.

There are some good advice above and I can't think of anything to add to it but just wanted to say well done and good on you. Cris xx
  • suncatcher
    Options
    not to well today and family. got virus did some bits towards it today but mostly rested. im excited want to get on with it. I have pm tony i am just wondering what she will look like i am looking forward to meeting the girls maybe one day i will meet you :D joanne
    Joanne
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Joanne,

At the risk of embarrassing her Toni is brilliant and she is good to her word as well so that might help give you some added confidence.

Rose is also by the way though, like me, she has to have tea so make sure you have some kind of refreshments available :lol:

I haven't met Janie but know she is lovely as well.... hey all 3 of them will be red faced seeing this :wink:

Hope the virus will back off and you will all feel better and just keep saying to your self both with this and your speech 'I can do it' Love and a ((((( ))))) Cris who got 6 new chicks and hope they really are all girls xx
  • suncatcher
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Joanne,

At the risk of embarrassing her Toni is brilliant and she is good to her word as well so that might help give you some added confidence.

Rose is also by the way though, like me, she has to have tea so make sure you have some kind of refreshments available :lol:

I haven't met Janie but know she is lovely as well.... hey all 3 of them will be red faced seeing this :wink:

Hope the virus will back off and you will all feel better and just keep saying to your self both with this and your speech 'I can do it' Love and a ((((( ))))) Cris who got 6 new chicks and hope they really are all girls xx

congrats for baby chickens. I have refreshments organized. i am looking forward to seeing the girls i am sure they are brilliant :D Joanne :D:D
    Joanne
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Joanne,

Flower you going to be fine and they will come along if they can I am sure,. Wish I was nearer but its a good 4 hours away if you hoof it.

Hey I didn't hatch them... i got them from someone else who did hatch them in the incubator. I am wary of hatching eggs cus of only being able to keep one cockriel and they come from eggs while hens tend to beam in from another planet....

Hey I do get time out soon.... actually getting away from here :D mind how far the unseen umbilical cord tween me and her Ladyship will stretch i am not sure....... its got to do some miles for sure :lol:

Be thinking of you now planing and getting it all sorted and hope the virus will leave you all alone soon. Cris xx
  • suncatcher
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Joanne,

Flower you going to be fine and they will come along if they can I am sure,. Wish I was nearer but its a good 4 hours away if you hoof it.

Hey I didn't hatch them... i got them from someone else who did hatch them in the incubator. I am wary of hatching eggs cus of only being able to keep one cockriel and they come from eggs while hens tend to beam in from another planet....

Hey I do get time out soon.... actually getting away from here :D mind how far the unseen umbilical cord tween me and her Ladyship will stretch i am not sure....... its got to do some miles for sure :lol:

Be thinking of you now planing and getting it all sorted and hope the virus will leave you all alone soon. Cris xx
    thank you cris. it is a shame about cockerals. They do have a bad press tasty though :D joanne
    Joanne