Combining NSAIDs with Turmeric and topical Aspirin?

MickyLuv
MickyLuv Member Posts: 35
Hi Helpline Team,
My doc prescribes me a gram of Naproxen per day. Being a child of the 60's and 70's I'm not particularly drug averse and I find this NSAID very helpful during the bad times.

I do often stop taking the drug for several days or a week though having read of the bad long term effects on the kidneys etc. This in the hope that reduced intake will be proportionally less damaging ultimately (especially since having just read on this site that NSAIDs only treat the symptoms and have little or no effect on joint deterioration).

As I mentioned, I'll take pretty much anything in moderation, which usually means in as small amounts as possible. To this end I've been grinding up aspirins with olive oil in a pestle and mortar (not a particularly fun Arthritic activity) :-) and applying it topically to my wrists as an alternative to the Naproxen. It does seem to help.

I also swallow a gram of ground Turmeric in milk per day as a parallel treatment.

My main question is: Does the combination of chemicals in the various methods of treatment I use cause any known metabolic problems?

I'd also appreciate any helpful comments on the information I've given here.

TIA
Mike
Kind Regards,
Mike

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    MickyLuv wrote:
    Hi Helpline Team,
    My doc prescribes me a gram of Naproxen per day. Being a child of the 60's and 70's I'm not particularly drug averse and I find this NSAID very helpful during the bad times.

I do often stop taking the drug for several days or a week though having read of the bad long term effects on the kidneys etc. This in the hope that reduced intake will be proportionally less damaging ultimately (especially since having just read on this site that NSAIDs only treat the symptoms and have little or no effect on joint deterioration).

As I mentioned, I'll take pretty much anything in moderation, which usually means in as small amounts as possible. To this end I've been grinding up aspirins with olive oil in a pestle and mortar (not a particularly fun Arthritic activity) :-) and applying it topically to my wrists as an alternative to the Naproxen. It does seem to help.

I also swallow a gram of ground Turmeric in milk per day as a parallel treatment.

My main question is: Does the combination of chemicals in the various methods of treatment I use cause any known metabolic problems?

I'd also appreciate any helpful comments on the information I've given here.

TIA
    Mike

Dear Mike

Thank you for your posting. We are not medically trained so are not qualified to answer your question and it is best to talk to a pharmacist who will be the expert in drugs and their combinations, you could also talk to your GP. Our ‘Coping with pain’ booklet looks at the drugs used for arthritis and also different methods of managing pain that may help. You can access this on the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/main_content/Copingwithpainbooklet2011.pdf. I hope this is helpful.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    As with the Team, I'm not medically trained, but I am concerned by you using two different NSAIDs at the same time. I'm relatively sure that if you are taking one orally you should not be applying one topically as well. You risk overdosing on NSAIDs that way. It should be either oral or topical but never together. I'm afraid I don't know about the tumeric.

Take care.
  • MickyLuv
    MickyLuv Member Posts: 35
    Thanks Dawn and Scattered for your responses.
    I don't know if I'll need to ask these questions in a Pharmacy forum or over the counter at Boots. I'll try both and see what happens.

Regarding NSAIDs and topical Aspirin. I tend to use the Aspirin when I'm giving the Naproxen a rest, though there might be a small overlap sometimes.

The Nurse at the GPs surgery suggested I take the occasional Aspirin whilst on Naproxen. The Pharmacy (assistant?) said NEVER do.

Sorting out the Nittty-Gritties isn't easy but I'm sure any progress in understanding will be helpful.

Mike
    Kind Regards,
    Mike