babytiger Member Posts: 360
edited 27. Feb 2012, 17:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone know how do I go about getting a different consultant/surgeon as I really don't want the one I have, to operate on me again (as doc on thurs. said X might operate on me again Thanks


  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm not 100% certain but a few yrs ago I wanted to get a second opinion from a different consultant, my GP sorted it for me..
    Best of luck :D
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi babytiger
    Im not sure what you go, but I do know that quite a few people have asked for different surgeons, I do hope some one comes along very soon with some awful when on top of everything you dont have faith in your surgeon.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,204
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Babytiger l quite understand how you feel.

    I know you can google consultants, but after that l think you would probably need to ask your Gp to refer you to the one you have in mind :?

    In your shoes l would make an appointment to see your GP as soon as you can to discuss. I am sure he/she will understand.


    Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,684
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    In your situation, babytiger, I wouldn't let him anywhere near my knee again.

    I, too, suspect you need to go through your GP. I know that my own Trust has a list of consultants, under their various specialties, on their webpage.

    It might be that, if you change consultant, you will need to change hospitals.

    Why not ring your local PALS (Find the number by googling it) for advice?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • babytiger
    babytiger Member Posts: 360
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks for the replies,might give the doc a call tomorrow for appointment
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Its not a problem just tell him or ask your GP
    they understand.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I totally understand how you feel about this particular surgeon going anywhere near your knee. He could not even be bothered to do much when you went back to see him the first time post op with your concerns. He has been abysmal with regards to your post op care. Grossly negligent even.

    You need to be referred via your gp to see someone else. If you have no idea who is good then hopefully your gp can help you.

    The surgeon who did both my knees at separate times is listed here :D

    I wish you all the best with this.

    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

    If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.