widows hump

Options
valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
OK should have asked GP but forgot with everything else wanted to ask what causes it and what can you do to help or prevent it getting worse???? got inflammation arther some oa and damage to neck from fall but when she examined me she said was starting with widows hump ???and ideas where can look for advice val
val

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,495
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Val,

Sorry to hear about the widows hump, also known as dowagers hump or kyphosis, for more information you might like to look at this link: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Kyphosis/Pages/Causes.aspx

In your particular case it may be a s result of the cervical spondylosis ie. the OA in the neck. However you mentioned you have damage to the neck from a fall, did you have a fracture and have you been tested for osteoporosis? This is something to check out as you will see from the information from the link above.

Hope this is helpful.
    Best wishes
    Simona
  • valval
    Options
    thankyou did not want to google it as you can scare your self to death doing it lol will ask doc next time i see her to check things out val
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Val,

I getting one... its huge to me but only this big to others :lol:

Couple of things that do help is obviously posture and the other is try keeping the muscles (are they called triceps?) as un spasmed and relaxed as you can.

That bit or me now takes botox to do and yep tis wearing off but seriously posture is important.

I have trouble now raising my head up where t should be cus I get bad pins and needles down the shoulder and back if I do but thats what you should try to do is make your body be in the position it is meant to be in not the one its thinking it might like to be in.....

I was given some exercises 20 or so years ago and cus no one said stop I do still do them so thats another thing you could maybe ask about.

Hang in there Val my nan had the real one an bless her she always promised me it didn't hurt ..... for mine i think cutting my head off to relieve the weight on it would help but that might be a bit drastic......

Pain makes you hunch and so do the spasms so though you can't do much about the shifting and the inflammation the muscles an be helped. Leaving you a bucket of neck heal and shoulder mend as well as a ((((( ))))) Cris xx
  • valval
    Options
    thanks cris have been trying to be good and using wheat bag before getting things moving bit tight today but tomorrow another day will ask about exercises when go to doc next bet she sick of site of me always a long list for her val
    val