Not sure how much longer I can work

Options
resusjan
resusjan Member Posts: 290
Hi Everyone,
I have RA, diagnosed less than 12 months ago, also have pernicious anaemia and hypothyroid. I am currently taking Methotrexate, Sulphasalazine, Planequil, Folic Acid, Thyroxine and B12 injections.

Just lately I am starting to notice that my symptoms are worsening - my hands are more painful, feet hurt causing pain when walking, shoulders are sore. I work full time as a nurse and we totally rely on my income to pay our mortgage - without my income our house would probably be reposessed. I am really concerned now - our mortgage has got 20 years left to run!!

Benefits would come nowhere near my income, I have thought about selling the house and renting but I think we are in negative equity so would still owe money on it. I work for the NHS so will get full sick pay for 6 months, then half pay for six months but after that would be relying on benefits.

I had an appointment with rheumatology in april so was hoping they may change my meds but they have cancelled it "due to unforseen circumstances". I have been internet searching permanent health insurance but think they would probably excude RA as it is a pre-existing condition. Really don't know what to do and the stress is probably not helping me at all.

Sorry to moan - really needed to get that off my chest and don't want to burden my husband and kids with it all.

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

I've just reitred on ill health from the NHS. I did get tier 2, although even though I do say so myself have really gone through the mill with the RA. On my 4th biologic, reduced my hours twice, tried everything to stay at work, got an electric wheelchair to help me around the ward.

Perhaps you could get a pension forecast for ill health, it will give you a bit of guidance of how much you would get. In the 6 months, I tried to save, pay things off to help. Your lump sum could help you to pay a chunk of your mortgage?

The last 2 years, Iwas off sick more than at work, I would be off for approx 3 months then go back on phased return, manage to work a few months until my treatment failed then go off sick again.

Imdon't know what else to say really, nursing and RA do not mix. The way jobs are as well, redeployment is hard to get but could be a possibility.

Please feel free to PM me

Janie
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Thanks Janie,

It helps to hear from someone who is in the same position as me. I have only been paying into the pension scheme for 10 years so probably wont get a huge amount. I'm doing extra shifts while I can to try and pay off some credit cards while I can still work. I've also started doing some bank shifts with the GP out of hours service - taking calls for the GP's and doing telephone triage in the hope that I may be able to get redeployed there if I can't manage ward work any more. Only problem with that is that its night shifts and the OH department say I shouldnt be working at night with RA.

Thank you so much for your reply, I really do appreciate it. Can't believe you used an electric wheelchair on the wards - there is no way they could ever say you didnt try your hardest to carry on working!!!

Jan
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Would NHS Direct be an option too? Once I decided to retire, I was so relieved but fearful for the future. Now I 've retired, I don't know how on earth I worked! Although I am still waiting for my pension to come through, the wheels of the NHS even turn slow in Pensions too it seems!

I would still get a forecast anyway, just to see what your options are, I only paid 6 but have 14 years on top for enhanced tier 2.

I hope you find a way through, try to look after yourself, and all these extra shifts can't be helping,

Janie