o/a in lower back now xray for pelvis?!

Options
vwkamper
vwkamper Member Posts: 132
edited 17. Apr 2012, 09:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

Well i went to see my orthopeadic surgeon about my lower back and he said as much as your screwed but as we talked he seemed very concerned about my right hip, he thinks i might have o/a in there and said treatment will have to wait for my back untill i have my pelvis e-rayed.

He said i can replace a hip but not your spine!

I left there in shock not what i was expecting at all :?

So monday morning i'm going straight to x-ray to get that out the way.

vwkamper.
P.M.A Positive Mental Attitude.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh VWC

you must be in a state of shock :shock:

Such a good thing that they are looking at your hip for you...oddly enough a lot on here who have had hips done did get some back pain too.

Even if he reckons he can't fix your back...fixing a hip might go some way to relieving some of your pain.

All the very best and dont forget to let us know how you get on.

Love

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I agree with frogmorton, vwcamper. It must have come as a shock to find you had a problem in an area you thought was OK. However, as the man said, hips can be fixed (Both mine have been) and fixing the hip may well help a lot with the back. Hope things go well in X-ray.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi vwkamper
    I am sorry you had bad news, I am sought of in the same place, aI have oa of my hips and spine, and the hard bit is defining where the pain is coming from..it not easy.
    But like the others have said there are quite a few on here that have had THR and have done really well.
    I do wish you well with everything, and please let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi vwkamper,

That's a shock and no mistake but he presumably is arranging a hip xray as well?

I just wondered what treatment for the back was he talking about cus some say the back comes first and others the hips for some reason. I think the 2 tend to be a job lot as the back being duff alters your gait and stance and the hips seem to often be the next thing. The other way around the hips go first and that also alters the gait/stance so takes the back with them.

Mine was the back and then the hips though.

I hope your feeling a bit better and less shocked now? Leaving a cyber ((( ))) and a hope. Cris x
  • vwkamper
    vwkamper Member Posts: 132
    Options
    Hi all,

Well it turns out the hips are fine, great in fact so i'm well happy with that :D

Turns out that all my pain is spine related i have 2 spots where there is pressure on my spinal collumn i have to go into hospital and have dye put into the base of my spine to see if i can have a cortisone injection. I've been told this will only help with my leg pains and that my back is screwed.
    And it's working it's way up deep joy!!!

So my out look is pain clinic and dealing with the pain.

So now i know i have to get my head round it and help myself.

lexy.
    P.M.A Positive Mental Attitude.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I'm glad the hips are OK. Not good about the spine but you do seem to have an excellent, positive attitude and I'm sure that'll help a lot. I hope you can have the steroid injection. I've heard only good of the Pain Clinics. Keep us informed please.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright