Where I am up to with benefits

Options
PollySid
PollySid Member Posts: 343
edited 27. Jun 2012, 09:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Things seem to be moving quicker than I anticipated.

I was finished work on medical incapacity 1st February.

Applied for DLA, ESA, Council Tax rebate and Working Tax Credit (Mr PS works 30hr week).

Have had letter to say getting initial payments of £67.50 ESA, until proper assessment done.

Had letter saying getting £0 Working Tax Credit based on 5/4/11 year so rang them and told them change of circumstances (not working now etc).
Waiting for them to process new information.

Rang DWP about DLA yesterday and was told they had all the details they needed (Drs letter I presume) and my case was being looked at yesterday so if I hadn't heard by 10 days to give them a ring.

The local Council rang today asking for income and bank statement details re Council Tax rebate.

So far my income will be the princely sum of £67.50 per week, rising to £71 in April when the Government increase starts. I presume the JSA will go up to the same amount?

With all the form filling, telephone calls, filing etc it is like working in my own little office here at my bungalow. :lol:

Comments

• vwkamper
    vwkamper Member Posts: 132
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

I know the feeling one always follows the other chasing someone getting copies for another never getting an answer allways having to wait and in the mean time we live off bread crumbs.

Good luck with your new job ha ha ha

lexy
    P.M.A Positive Mental Attitude.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Polly
    They do make life hard work, has though you dont have enough on, its not has though you are not willing to work, talk about making you jump through hoops...anyway it seems you are getting there slow but sure, and I do wish you good luck with it all.
    And please let us know how you get on with it...you must be an expert on it all by now xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Polly,

I hope you will hear from them soon and that everything will come together right as the additional worry you don;t need. Hang in there and really hope it will go well. Cris x
  • mumoftwoboys
    mumoftwoboys Member Posts: 24
    Options
    hi. i was self employed but didnt do that well and didnt pay NI or TAX. i applied for ESA last year (feb/march) and was paid over a £1000. untill they came to a decision. Then in april i was told that i wasnt entitled to anything as i hadnt paid enough tax (contribution based) and that i wasnt entitled to anything (income based) as my husband worked. he only works 18 hours.
    I went to the job centre to see if i could get JSA and was told i was entitled to that as my husband worked.
    I said it was me looking for a job NOT my husband and i was told ..because we are classed as a family unit i wasnt getting a penny.
    ITS CRAP..
    I have a job now but its killing me. i work 3 days but its 9.5 hours a day. i had a sick day last week and got a right gob full of the others saying i was letting the team down and i wasnt bothered about the job. I hate it. I went in to see them and clear the air and i just cried so this made it worse. I really dont want to go back and they dont really want me there but i need the money.
    Im soo down at the noment...
    All you looking to claim DLA, ESA or other benefits GOOD LUCK and my fingers are crossed for you
  • Saphire
    Saphire Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi Polly,
    I too have just taken I'll health retirement which finally went through in March. The entire benefits system is like a job in itself! Am slowly working my way through too. good luck!
    Saph x
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi Polly,
    The world of the DWP, Jobcentre Plus, ESA replacing incapacity benefit et al. I have a cupboard full, must be several trees, of paperwork, all relating to the above. I have posted a lot, in the past, about the frustrations and long winded applications, appeals, results. It often seems a battle, some are won, some take a bit more time and you sometimes feel that it never ends, with goalposts moving at every turn.
    Always get as much information from every health care professional, as you can, keep copies of everything that you send off, if you are unhappy with any result, question it straight away and ask your Drs for more supporting evidence.
    I know that the system has been abused and needs tightening up, but, people like us, who have long term and progressive problems, should not have to jump through hoops to get a result.
    Don't let it get you down, it is just a long winded process, that is itself in a state of change and chaos.
    Take care, XX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Gosh Polly!

ALL that work - form filling and information gathering....for £67!

I am not surprised it is like an office at your place :roll:

I do hope all your efforts and hard work pay off and you hear GOOD news about the rest of it very soon.

Love

Toni xx
  • cindyjonas
    cindyjonas Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Hi, so if you are self employed you not likely to get anything?
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Probably only with difficulty Cindy. Most benefits are either contribution based (you've recently paid enough NI stamps to qualify), or income based (you haven't got two pennies to rub together).

If you have a partner and they are earning it is unlikely that you could get income based, which is what happened to Mumoftwoboys.

I am getting (I use that term loosely as they have just stopped it) contribution based ESA as I was working and paying NI stamps prior to claiming. If I were to go on JSA now I would get contribution based for 6 months then, as Mr PS works 30 hours a week I would get nothing.
    Luckily I get my retirement pension in 8 months.
  • cindyjonas
    cindyjonas Member Posts: 31
    Options
    it is terrible !! is like someone did say, it is you that is affected not your partner. I am self employed and honestly will not be able to carry on my profession if the pain carry on like this. pfffffff not right, they ask people to work but when they can't they don't have any help, not right at all.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Like you my life seems to resolve around form filling nowadays!

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein