kicking up a storm

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 9. Mar 2012, 07:35 in Community Chit-chat archive
Right all of you sky watchers out there the news in the soalr world is get ready for the Northern Lights, there's a rather nasty solarstorm going on and it's aimed this way, anyone well up North could stand a decent chance of seein them, there's also talk of an even bigger storm coming so keep an eye to the sky, just remember to go to a really dark spot and allow 20 minutes for your eyes to adjust, best time to see them is from 10 pm onwards but they can come at anytime.
The solar flare now going on can bee seen with the naked eye but you need to be looking through very very dark glass(dark green welding glass is good) to see it DONT look directly at the sun and DONT EVER use binoculars or any type of magnifier to view the Sun or you'll end up with a white stick and a dog so you've been warned, happy star gazing!.

Comments

• georgie66
    georgie66 Member Posts: 403
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    well i am down south so stand no chance in seeing them..
    but find it interesting to read all about it..
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    don't ya know we're all ard as nails up here.. When we look at the sun without glasses etc, IT flinches :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mellman01
    Options
    It's OK Len the flare will be fixed soon an Irish tarmac gang are going to plug the whole that's left, somone asked them if they were worried about the heat, they said they can handle it as their going to land at night!. :lol:

You knew that was coming didn't you!, hey back to normallity Len the 11M skip is strong right now, getting Eastern Europe coming in on FM all the way from 26Mhz right up to 28Mhz buggers wont DX though, I'm sure I'm getting out as I'm stuffing 80watts up a 3/4 wave dipole should make the hop no problem.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    did they say it was going to affect sat navs ??? will look later if can stay awake not got welding mask dad has but to far to walk up there for a just incase it not cloudy val
    val
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    I don't think there's much chance of seeing them here, so I've been watching on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBWPCvdv8Bk

Fantastic colours :!: I would love to see it in reality :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • valval
    Options
    it must be amazing to see it val
    val
  • tjt6768
    Options
    nobody need call them tarmac spreaders... I'll plug the giant hole in the sun. I've got some factor 30 somewhere.. Suppose I could put a drop of that on the extremities :shock:
    I've got a bowl of mi mum's shepherds pie, that's enough to block anything up :o
    Now all I need is a giant catapult to fire me up there.... Anyone?
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mellman01
    Options
    Bugger me Len you hear them as well!, I even had an argument with them and I lost and all!, tin foil is only any good if you also wrap your bum in a nappy of it, it's a bit cold on ya pecker but it woth doing, I find it oddly comforting not sure why, maybe I was a Chicken once?, and I do love stuffing!.
  • valval
    Options
    be carefull which you get some only for wrapping no good for heating so if it going to get hot you could be in the ****
    val
  • tjt6768
    Options
    then you'd better listen to them Len.. The last time I ignored them I had to chastise myself... A lot :o:o :shock:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    At precisely 1030pm last night 2230 to some of you I entered my observatory once again to some of you the loft or attic I sat in total darkness peering at the night sky through me velox window which was fully open. As I sat shivering in the dark and the cold my night vision got better and after a good hour or so I could see the sky beautiful moon lit night but alas no sign of any other activity a couple of aircraft went by I thought they might crash with the radio waves beaming down but they just passed by, I’m sure I heard the captain say look at that silly twonk down there sitting in the cold.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • valval
    Options
    i went to bad and forgot :(
    val
  • mellman01
    Options
    well I went outside and had a look around but the moon was way to bright and like del I could see Venus ans Saturn were to far south I think although they have said it's possible to see them in London, not sure how as you can't see start in the city the sky is all ornage(Theank God I live in a little village with no street lights), hey have you ever looked properly at Betelgeuse recently, really red, it's even orange when you look at it without any optical help. as you look at him this star it the top right shoulder of Orion, and if you look below his belt you might see his sword, it's a small globular cluster of stars, best way to se it is don't look directly at it look off to one side and it becomes clearer
    And don't forget the 6th of August is the day the curiosity lander gets to Mars.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Isn't Betelgeuse ( or Beetlejuice, as some prefer to call it ) going to explode into oblivion and become a supernova sometime soon :?: I think I read that it's shrunk and is heading for destruction. Now that really would light up the sky :!: :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif