DIET

Options
Colin1
Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
edited 22. Mar 2012, 14:16 in Community Chit-chat archive
I tried all sorts of diets but I just kept overeating i was a heavy drinker and smoker gave both up not much problem one or two little blips but managed it quite well I think its been 5 years now. I still enjoy a drink perhaps once a month on a night out but its not 5 days a week like it used to be.

Now DIET thats a different story it is so hard I tried all sorts of diets but just kept over eating. I used steroids as an excuse and every other thing I could think of including “I’m not well enough to diet”. I resigned myself to being fat 14 stone 12lbs. To cut a long story short I was diagnosed with sleep apnia and had to go and see the consultant who said the reason you have this is because your fat. That done the trick with me I felt so bad I have always been able to do whatever I want when I put my mind to it but I was loosing with the diet. I felt really low for a couple of days (Oh yes I have to wear this mask when I go to bed) Anyway I got myself out of the rut but was unhappy about the way I am put it all down to age, steroids, lack of exercise because of the RA PA and every other thing. By the way I’m not going to charge you a penny for this information lol. I thought about the atkins diet but he killed himself with his. Then there was that French diet but you had to starve for that one. I came across the SLIMFAST DIET and thought I would give it a try, boy its so hard, anyway it 2 drinks and 2 energy bars a day plus one main meal. The drinks are full of things like vitamins but low in cals as are the bars.
This is how it works, You have one drink in the morning for breakfast and one for lunch. If you get hungry in between you have one of the bars but you can only have 2 a day. Evening meal example roast beef mash gravy and a ton of veg. Supper one of those low fat muller rice. You can find the diet on the net if you look. Anyway I’m eleven days into the diet and am proud to say I have lost 12lbs not only that but on Saturday I had a cooked breakfast and on Sunday I ate normal Sunday roast and some cake I also cut out bread from my diet but had a slice with the breakfast. Now if I can loose 12lbs you can to, Ill keep you updated as I go but warn you this is no place for mamby pambys or sissies if you want to join me you have to swear elegances to the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help us fat.
COLIN
WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    colin well done keep it up to be honest i not in the right frame of mind to go the whole hog like this but am turning things around slowly as i want to keep up a healthy diet long term and feel if i go for drinks i would have trouble with the meds i am on as they have to be taken with food or they cause me stomache probs.
    i wish you well and that those that can join you the cafe will be open for when you need a treat that will not affect your good work val
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Colin..you are a love
    My son is going through all this with the sleep apnia...he was appalled when they gave him the mask...but like you it was just the nudge he needed.
    I really do wish you well on your diet...just think in a couple of month we wont know you... :D
    And dont forget you can do it....
    Love
    Barbara
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Well done for losing the weight, Colin. :D

I'm still unsure about this type of diet though. I think it's probably a good way to kick-start weight loss, but I'm not sure whether it would be sustainable in the long run. The danger is that the weight piles back on again after a while as often happens because people become bored with it.

I know it's very difficult, but I prefer to eat a well-balanced diet with lots of fruit and veg, cut out the sweet unhealthy stuff and junk food, and keep a check on portion size. Easier said than done, I know, as I have a sweet tooth.

Good luck if it works for you anyway :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Well done Colin , but I agree with Joanlawson on this one ; to keep weight off you need to follow a diet that can be continued long term rather than quick fix ; and I do know what I'm talking about here having lost 5st in a year and managing to maintain it . I wish you continued success but not for me ; I enjoy eating real food ! Jillyb
  • Colin1
    Options
    Thanks Guys
    Joan, Jilly, I’m inclined to agree with you both, My wife and daughter say
    I’m not well enough to embark on such a diet however I intend to try for a month and then start a calorie controlled diet. Once I have got the wait down a bit. I was hoping to get down to 13 stone then change the diet but not sure ill make that but we’ll see what happens. Havent told MRs C about your replies or she will say I told you so. Thanks and take care.
    Colin
  • Colin1
    Options
    I have slowed down a bit but today i'm 13 stone 12lbs so i have lost a stone in four weeks.
    colin
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    colin well done i have started to eat much more fruit find in winter just can not face it so a much better balanced diet at moment feeling better for it keep up good work val
    val
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Colin,

Well done, I tried slimfast a few times but could never stick to it.
    Jan
  • Colin1
    Options
    Hi Jan yes its really hard but i decided to only do it monday to fridayand its working great. I tried all sorts in the past my problem is i eat foe eating sake. I gave up **** and booz about 5 years ago after a heart attack. I think i ate to feel better LOL but i'm glad i seem to be getting some contro;e back
    Colin
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Oh, me too - I don't eat because I'm hungry, I eat just because I can. So bad :oops: . I gave up smoking a few years ago too and since then have been trying to stick to a diet. I'm considering trying slimfast again - your monday to friday plan sounds quite good. Keep us posted on how you get on. Does it interfere with any of your meds? I'm on methotrexate, sulphsalazine and planequil. Do you have the pre mixed cans or mix your own. I found the cans didn't taste as nice as the powders but they may have improved since I last tried them. Are you having just the two drinks each day and an evening meal or are you having any of the bars or soups. All these questions --- sorry ---- just nice to find out how its working for someone else.

I hope your success with it continues
    Jan
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Well done Colin. You are doing very well.

I used to use the milkshakes at lunchtime as it was easy. I got bored with them after a while and prefer to eat salads at lunchtime now. It is possible to eat real food around the same calories as the slimfast meals, shakes etc. Salad has very few calories so you can eat loads of it. Just don't load it with mayo or salad cream. Veg soups are good. Boil up any veg and whizz it in the food processor. Veg is low cal and very good for you. Think of your usual meals and swap fried for grilled, cut down on sugar and salt (salt makes you retain water which makes you weigh more) and perhaps smaller portions if need be. I also found eating 5 very small meals instead of 3 larger meals helped a lot.
    Christine
  • Ldyalb
    Ldyalb Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Well done on losing a stone in a month - that's amazing!

My Mum's doing quite well on the Slimming World diet, she's lost almost a stone in 3 weeks. My Aunt twice lost 11 stone with them but put it back on when she stopped the diet. She just reverted back to her old ways. She's lost a lot of weight now for the 3rd time and has been keeping it off for several years by doing it slowly and making changes she can stick to.

I struggle with my weight but have found a veggie diet helps, it's helped to keep me from gaining too much weight when I've been unable to do much physical activity. I just have to be strict about chocolates and biscuits etc. A lot of Veggie meat substitutes like Quorn are very low in fat, they're one of the things the Slimming World diet lets you have a lot of so Mum's still been able to enjoy the same food as before, like chilli, curry, bolognese etc just with substituting fatty meat with a low fat meat replacement and veg. They're worth a try if you're a fan of things like bolognese, especially if they mean you can have a bit of cheese on top :D
  • Colin1
    Options
    Hi Ldyalb Thanks for that
    I have now gone to a five day diet and still loosing waite as for CHEESE god i miss that so much lol. My problem was i ate the correct things but to much, i dont do much sweets and chocs i just ate large amounts. I now have that under controle or should i say Mrs C does. Its hard because i feel hungry all the time and sometimes a wake in the night wanting food LOL, Lack of activity doesent help but i'm making a big effort in that department to. I understand what you say about your Aunt the ladies here say if you losse it fast you gain it fast. I think dieting is the hardest thing i ever done but ill keep it for as long as i can. I think dieting is for life and i'm not sure i want to go down that road but dont mind doing it part time.
    Thake Care
    Colin
  • Ldyalb
    Ldyalb Member Posts: 85
    Options
    That's my parents problem - the right food but too much of it. I've had the same problem but before I was a poor student and walked everywhere to save on bus and taxi fares. So I was slim purely because there was no way I could eat more calories than I needed unless I lived off chocolate. Now I'm not so mobile I have to train myself to eat less.

My Mum losing weight has spurned me on though, my Dad would tease me to death if she became slimmer than me :lol: . My problem is lack of discipline, I always eat a massive breakfast but I get up late - so at 9-10 I have enough food that I'm not hungry until 3pm. Then I have some fruit or toast, or a yoghurt. Tea is at 7 but inbetween I end up getting so hungry I just eat anything quick and available. Which at the moment is mini eggs. I've got to sort out my routine and have a smaller breakfast so that I'll need a normal lunch like beans on toast or a sandwich and don't crash and need a quick energy fix. Getting up late means it's over 12 hours since I last ate - no wonder I want a massive bowl of cereal!

Mum can only have like 30g of cheese. She weighed it out and everything, made us laugh. But it's worked and she's still able to enjoy it as a treat. I think the best motivation for losing weight is that when you've lost it you can enjoy the odd treat without feeling guilty. When I was a size 8 I loved the occasional pudding as I knew I could have it. Now I'm a 12 I just feel guilty! :(

But this thread has inspired me to get back down to a healthy weight (FYI I know a size 12 isn't fat but I'm very short so it's large for my frame. I was misdiagnosed as a child with stunted growth, my final adult height was predicted as 4"9. I'm 5"1 :P I do love proving Drs wrong)
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Well done Kevin
    Like yourself I have tried every single diet out there :!:
    Lost lots but put it all back on again
    Arther has a lot to do with it as not as agile as I was in my youth :)
    Ive lost 3st in 3 years without using a proper diet & its staying off at last just 3 more stone to go & Ill be a happy lady
    I tried slimfast but it didnt work for me I had violent headaches Im so pleased its working for you
    Keep up the good work
    Maria
  • Colin1
    Options
    Hi LDY
    I know this is serious but MINI EGGS made me laugh, getting about and being mobile is so important and I am exercising in my own way through dance music LOL you should see me go. The kids thought it was funny at first but they then found it difficult to get through themselves. I cant do it all standing but I do get through it and I do get that feel good factor when its done and I get my breath back. I have been active most of my life and the last 6 years have been awful but you learn to make the most of things. I know it sounds soft for a man but I want to feel attractive I have so many suits and cant get into one of them. My neck has gone from 16 inch to 19inch. 6 years ago I was 36 waist when I started the diet I was 44 waist. I blamed everything but myself for being overweight, The steroids, my lack of mobility, packing in smoking and drinking, every excuse I could think of. I’m not going to say I wont slip back but I’m doing my best and my mind is set on getting to at least a 38 waist. Its hard to make diet change because you get comfortable with a way of life and I really enjoy my food. I think its safe to say I will eat anything LOL. But I never used to be like that. Talking of poor and uni I remember so much in my younger days being so hungry and having no money, those days when it was a boiled egg for your main meal, I do go on don’t i. Anyway I really hope this thread has given you the inspiration you needed but hey size 12 I’ll bet your a little beauty. The other thing I find hard is keeping away from the scales I have decided to weigh myself on Mondays now because if I get weighed to often there is no change. Take Care and thanks let me know how your getting on
    If you want my dance music ill post it on here for you its a great work out.
    Colin
  • Colin1
    Options
    Thanks for that Dom
    Colin
  • Colin1
    Options
    Lock up your pets if you live in my area dont let them out, i'm so hungry i could eat a mangy cat.
    Just to clarify im not an eater of cats and dogs its just merely an expression
    And I wont come charging down your hall looking for them, does anyone have a lobby
    Its just me being light hearted at the start of another day of Dieting in order to help myself
    I love animals especially roasted, there I go again its just a joke.
    Colin
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    So glad im not in your area my cat is out :!:
    Keep up the good work
    Ive managed to drop 3 dress sizes & got in to a size 16 :!: I havent been that for 18yrs :!:
    Decided to lose weight according to dress size not weight As in the past got so hung up on how may pounds i was losing I got disheartened & packed it in :!:
    Maria
  • Colin1
    Options
    He Maria your doing really well I have always given no thought to people who diet but having tried it i admire anyone who can lose weight, its so bloody hard to do, I'm having a bit of a flair so its hard all round at the moment but i just cant give in to the diet. My old suit pants now fit although a little tight i think the tummy needs work as well as diet but its dropping of my face and i am starting to look a bit like the old me. My MRS doesent diet and she is so trim its annoying, I'm off out now to look for your cat LOL Keep us up to date Maria if your trying you may have some good tips.
    Colin
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    An old flatmate of mine used to call it 'Bored Teeth Syndrome' and let's face it, it's easy to pick at things when you're tired, in pain, housebound. I lost 1.5 stones in stopping the pred and now I am trying to change the type of foods I eat. I am sticking to the plan of 'eat less and move around more' - OK the moving around hurts but that's just too bad. Luckily I love veg, fruit is a huge disappointment, so often it looks good and tastes horrid, I am battling with the cheese thing at the moment (I have an on-going affair with extra-mature cheddar but am currently playing-away-from-home with Cheshire :oops: ) It's not easy Colin, but well done mate, I think you're doing great! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    nice one Colin. Keep it up matey..
    I've got the whole family on mi case cos I'm not eating due to the sulfa, might try selling it as a slimming aid :? :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Colin1
    Options
    Wish i could stop the Pred DD just cant get off them, after 2 years cutting down from 25mg to 10mg they just put me back to 15mg but hey i'm still loosing some waite and i'm made up
    Colin