Revision Hip Replacement

bonnychuchu
bonnychuchu Member Posts: 2
edited 4. Apr 2012, 06:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I am new to the forum but thought I would join in hope of finding others who have had revision hips to share their experience. Due to arthritis I had my first hip replaced 25 years ago aged 25 and my other hip 5 years ago.

On both occasions these were great and I was soon back on my feet again. Just over two months ago I had my 25 year old hip replaced, but I am finding it very hard to get myself mobile again. I am walking on two crutches but cannot progress to one or a stick. My consultant says it may take longer but even though I do plenty of walking I do not seem to progress. Have any of you experienced this with hip revisions.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Karen

Comments

• daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,
    sorry I cannot help you really. I had a revision in September last year but it was complicated by a bone graft so I was non weight bearing for 7 weeks.

I have heard that a revision does take longer than a normal hip replacement as they have to disturbed everything more just to get the old hip out in the first place.

Take your time and take it easy, it will be right, its major surgery so don't rush it.

Take care
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Karen and welcome to the forum. Like daylily, I’ve had a knee revision but both my THRs are still in there.

My gut feeling is that, if your consultant is happy with your progress, then things are probably OK though, in your situation, I’d be very frustrated too. I’m wondering what’s preventing you moving on to one crutch or a stick – or even two sticks. Is it pain? Or is it that the hip collapses? What does your physio say? (They’re sometimes more clued up than the guys who carve you up.)

Part of me feels it’s a long time to be on crutches but the other part is aware that one of my own hips gave way, due to tendonitis, nearly two months ago. I couldn’t walk at all without a zimmer at first and, even now, if I manage 5, pathetically short, straight leg raises per day I feel I’ve done well. Do you find your OK with the exercises? Is it just the walking that’s the problem?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bonejoint
    bonejoint Member Posts: 1
    Well I guess you should take it slowly and improve incrementally. It will get better!
    Direct hip replacement Michigan
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, poor you, I can feel your frustration! I think that a revision is pretty major surgery so no doubt they have been in, rummaged, rummaged some more, got the Black and Decker out, sawn, hammered, screwed and generally shoved stuff around like we would not believe. It does take time to recover after such an assault and - dare I say it - you are now a little older than when you had the first lot done. Healing takes longer the older we are, sad but true. I think you should carry on as you are, walk as much as you can with the aid of the crutches as they will take the strain off your newly-fixed hip, rest, do your exercises and I am sure that, given another couple of months or so of general all-round care you will soon be skipping around again like before. Sometimes we just don't realise how far we've come in terms of progress because we are in the middle of it all. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    THIS POST HAS BEEN RESURRECTED BY A SPAMMER.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Thanks sticky - I was only half-awake this morning! :) Guess who went to the hospital to collect her meth only to find she'd gone a week early? Yup! :D DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Thanks SW must say I dont always look at the dates...
    Love
    Barbara