Sausages, and spuds etc

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 19. Mar 2012, 08:50 in Community Chit-chat archive
Just has some traditional local pork sausages seasoned with black pepper and bloody lovely they were, the best thing is there from the next village down the road so the pigs are raised right here in Oxfordshire, were in such a good time for decent British food round these parts, there's blue tin up in Ipsden the old village I was born in and so the food might cost a bit more but at least I know how the animals were kept, I wont touch anything Dansih as they use pig crates and having worked in farming I know what there like and I hate them I don't eat any intensive reared meat now I just east less and buy local, anyway pigs should be out rooting about on grass and not stood on concrete in a cage it can't turn around in.
i also use local flour for me bread making and our eggs come from blue tin, as you drive down the track to their little shop you go by the chickens who are all totally free range and have a big field to roam in the eggs are so good I'd never go back to super market ones. You can also see their pigs sadle back pigs out in the field and their Dexter cows fattening up on fresh grass.
Lastly, this is interesting, we were at a local farm shop the other day and you could buy spuds in 25kg bags for £10!, we normally get ours from supermarkets but if you work out what they charge you were being seriously ripped off big time, so now we buy a big bag and save a lot of cash in doing so.
Sorry rant over!.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I had a pig once, he cost £50 as a piglet, my mate Nigel looked after him, he was a Gloucester Old Spot and was raised in the great outdoors and ate an organic diet. The pork he yielded was fabulous so yes, we now spend extra to get a better quality of meat, bangers and we make our own burgers from good quality beef mince. I agree with you Mel, buy the best you can afford as better health is dependant on good quality food. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mellman01
    Options
    A woman after me own heart!, and it was nice of you to reply to my post DD I thought it was going to sink like a stone.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hi Mell yes good food is not cheap, i'm a borne and bred towney but you can tell the difference from home reared or home grown.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • mellman01
    Options
    Yeah I agree colin, we grow a few veg in the summer, broad beans runners tomatoes beatroot onions and lots of Chillies’ from the very mild salad type all the way up to Dorset Naga andt he bhut jolokia Ghost Chilli.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    I used to spend a lot of time in the lakes staying with some friends who farmed
    They ate all thier own stock and grew veg. If you wanted bacon and egg you just went out and picked an egg up. The bacon was cured and just hung in the kitchen you just cut off what you wanted. It took me some time to try it but when i did it was really nice.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Quality of life is achieved through hard work, we do indeed reap what we sow. My mate's ma has an allotment and the produce from that is amazing! It's tempting to buy cheap and live off ready-meals (don't get me wrong, they have their time and their place) but some of the best food I have ever eaten - and I swear I felt better for it almost immediately - was at the River Cottage Café. Supermarket fruit and veg are old when they get to the shop, at the RCC the stuff was as fresh as could be, OK it was limited in choice but SEASONAL and I think that is so important. Who the hell wants to buy strawberries in February? Farm shops can be better value but you have to choose wisely as they too vary in quality. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    quality counts that is for sure i buy less eggs and bacon now but what i get is good quality you can taste the difference a boiled egg with toast heaven
    val