De-caffeinated tea.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 20. Mar 2012, 18:41 in Community Chit-chat archive
We were close to running out of Tbags so I trotted off to a local store (the one where every little helps, but helps what I am not sure) to find they had de-caffeinated Totleys on offer (I am a great fan of the little tea men company :wink: ) so I bought some. I have the uncomfy habit of often lusting for a cuppa at about 10pm so I have one and then lie there feeling my thumping heart and hear my thoughts racing which is not good and I wondered if the de-caff version would help with that. They do. BUT.

It has no strength, no body, it takes much squishing of said bag to achieve any sort of reasonable tea colour and somehow the essential 'tea-ness' is missing. I found one of the old bags earlier so used it up and couldn't believe the difference. Mr DD has not spotted any difference (well, not so far) and I am getting used to them but oh boy, I do miss that little caffeine hit, especially first thing. I suspect, therefore, that we will soon have two tea canisters, one for AM and one for PM but I will try to get on better with the de-caff sort. It's just a habit, yes? Habits can be altered.

So have any of you tried it? This is not heresy, tjt, it's a reasonable question! :) DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    DD
    I dont do caffeine it keeps me awake.
    However so do decaffeinated because I find they tend to make me wee more!(during the night) Great for the kideys :D
    So Gin and tonic or water at 10pm may be the answer. :lol:
    Ruby
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Two cracking answers, thank you! DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    When my stomach was playing up (GORD) I tried decaff because my beloved tea was one of the worst offenders. (Luckily it would still take a glass of wine.) Didn't like it and I was no better on it. Then my son offered Redbush tea. It is decaff but naturally so and, more importantly for me, also tannin free. It is, as he said, OK as long as you're not expecting proper tea but, after weeks without any, it tasted good to me and it worked.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I'm with ruby 2 G & T sounds like a dam fine idea!.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I only drink decaff coffee as I have high blood pressure and the excitement of real coffee sets the heart racing ; I tried decaff tea but really didn't enjoy it , too tasteless . Maybe I should give it another try as I'm sure it's healthier . Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Red Bull? Surely it's cheaper to mix ten teaspooons of sugar into a glass of water, fire it through a sodastream and then drink.

Right, I am sat here, looking out the window at the sunshine (touch-typing to you lot) and sipping the first de-caff of the day and I have to say that suddenly it's grown on me. It lacks the bitterness that caffeine-rich (and possibly tannin-rich) teas can have. So, back we go and get another box or two whilst it's £1.50 off. Yes indeed, every little helps. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think you can get used to these things. I did with the Redbush and it tasted wonderful after weeks of water. However, since I was able to return to the real thing it has languished in the cupboard ready for next time.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    well not tried it but do not drink tea after 5.30pm if can help it and only drink earl grey as i drink it black plays havock with staining on teath dentist said only way to stop that is to stop drinking it no chance will put up with staining on teeth val
    val
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    As I lay here, in terrible pain from overdoing things, I asked a tear for the proper tea bags :cry::cry:
    If you're having a cuppa it HAS to be proper, none of this namby pamby stuff lol..
    :wink:
    I will however, forgive you my dearest DD.. For you are a lovely pal :D

Del, I'm with you, it doesn't keep me awake either.. So I might as well drink the 'ard stuff, lol..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Ldyalb
    Ldyalb Member Posts: 85
    Options
    I use ASDA own de-caff tea. I have Restless Legs Syndrome and have had it since I was 4 (almost 20 years) so decided to see if it helps. So far it has - I get less frequent flare ups and each flare up is milder than before. I just get the uncomfortable feeling of needing to move my legs, they hardly ever kick around of their own accord any more :D

I don't find the ASDA one too bad, you do have to stew the tea bag for longer, and give it an extra hard squeese (sp?!) but I quickly got used to it. Luckily I like milky, sugary tea anyway. My boyfriend has started using de caff now as well - he often gets a cuppa craving at 10pm and enjoys being able to indulge and not being kept awake afterwards.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's helped the restless legs? That's interesting, that crops up on the LWA forum from time to time and I don't think that's ever been put forward as a help! Thanks Ldyalb, I'll remember that! I can't be doing with milky tea (intolerant to dairy so got used to builders') but it is getting better, I have to say - in fact it's time for another brew! DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Camomile is good, Jasmine too, especially if it comes with the flowers! DD
  • Ldyalb
    Ldyalb Member Posts: 85
    Options
    My Rheumy said to try and reduce caffeine and I'd read online that some people found it helped their RLS so I thought it was worth a bash. I also have Fibromyalgia and I know some people with that have been helped by reducing their caffeine levels to promote better sleep.

I'm now able to drink small amounts of caffeine, even at night and not suffer too much for it. I figured I'd rather have de-caff tea, and still be able to treat myself to the odd coke now and then. Apparently it works by flushing the caffeine out of your system for a month or two, then reintroduce it slowly to find the level your body can cope with :D
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Hi

I have got used to decaf tea now and find marks and sp.....cers is one of the better/stronger brands... still like my gin and bitter lemon whilst watching Homeland on a sunday evening though...

marion
    X
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ah, we tried to get into Homeland and have so far failed but that is par for the course in this household! We 'do' things after all the fuss has died down but we do like the things that don't have the hype, e.g. 'Roger and Val' and (when it was about) 'Early Doors' and in my case 'The Closer' and 'Saving Grace'. I am sitting here with my de-caff tea, hoping for a better night's sleep. Yeah, that'll happen. :roll: It's been one of THOSE days. DD
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I hope you manage some sleep mi lovely friend :D
    We watched Homeland well before the hype and loved it.
    Think I'm gonna try now, sleep well folks.. Even those of you who dare to drink de caf drinks lol..
    :D
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Ah, we tried to get into Homeland and have so far failed but that is par for the course in this household! We 'do' things after all the fuss has died down but we do like the things that don't have the hype, e.g. 'Roger and Val' and (when it was about) 'Early Doors' and in my case 'The Closer' and 'Saving Grace'. I am sitting here with my de-caff tea, hoping for a better night's sleep. Yeah, that'll happen. :roll: It's been one of THOSE days. DD
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP