Dawn or Dusk?

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 19. Mar 2012, 15:26 in Community Chit-chat archive
I'm sat here watching the daylight fade, and thinking that it is attractive in its own way, but that I actually prefer dawn.

We have trees opposite our house, and as the sitting room is on the first floor (it's not posh just necessity as my 'office' is the usual ground floor front room) I can see the fading colours of the sky, the skeletal outline branches of the trees (just in bud) and the birds flitting here and there (it's lovely if you ignore the traffic noise) but I prefer dawn. I guess it's the promise of a new day, rather than the loss of another. Spot the optimist, yes? :) What about you? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hah! I always thought there was something of the night about you! :) Actually mate, that is a good thought, it is a time to review, isn't it? And I've just reviewed. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I love both but think I agree about the promise of a new dawn. I still remember my first dawn, travelling towards Cornwall for a holiday. I love sunset on the beach and another that stays with me is a freezing cold day on top of the moors where the clouds were pink and purple. Magic.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :lol: Actually, it was in Cornwall that ours blew away. That was just after we woke up to find we were afloat on our airbeds.
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Both I guess but like Len seldom see a dawn these days, I use to love seeing the sun rise when I was cycling home from my night shifts at the old power station in the summer before I had my knees fecked up, there was a part of the 7 mile route where I'd be truly off road for a good mile on a bridle track you could often see deer out grazing before to many flippin humans were about, well all except me, that is.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    watching dawn at the beach is heaven but sat watching sun go down with drink in my hand not far behind i love both the magic is there and well worth seeing val
    val
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I adore both, they are just so lovely. I always just want time to stop sometimes so I can set a camera up and capture them. Alas, the dawns I do see here are the ones after taking J to work, and I'm usually in way too much pain to think about stopping the car and stepping out.. There is a bridge that I drive over on a morning and although underneath is the manic M1 motorway it has a certain appeal, especially when the sun is just at the right height and you can ser the power station in the background, not something you associate with a lovely photo but again, out has a strange appeal and I reckon one day I'll make a half decent photo from it..

As for sunsets, I love them in Spain, sat on the beach ignoring the people walking by behind me on their way to alcoholic oblivion.. Let them bugger off to the bars etc, I'd much rather spend the time sat listening to the ocean watching the sun sink into it on the horizon.... Truly magical.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    As for sunsets, I love them in Spain, sat on the beach ignoring the people walking by behind me on their way to alcoholic oblivion.. Let them bugger off to the bars etc, I'd much rather spend the time sat listening to the ocean watching the sun sink into it on the horizon.... Truly magical.

Oh come on! There's a lot to be said for alcoholic oblivion - especially after one has spent 'time sat listening to the ocean watching the sun sink into it on the horizon....'
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Personally I just usually need to pee :shock: :lol::lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh I feel all relaxed after reading this, I love Dawn in spring, just listening to the little birds talking to one another, we have fields at the back of us, and I love to watched the sun setting behind the trees..I would love to be able to take good pics I do try... :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    I love Dawn in spring, just listening to the little birds talking to one another

I find it amazing how, in summer, I can sit in the garden, chattering away to someone else, and be oblivious to the birdsong. If I'm on my own, and really tune in to it, it never ceases to surprise me how beautifully deafening it is.
    Steven Wright
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hey DD you should have been a poet thats a lovely post young lady
    If you dont mind ill tell you a short story about DAWN and what it means to me.

I spent a little time in the far east and back home in England we where having our first Child as it turned out our only child.
    When Mrs C came out of hospital she asked me to go and register the birth our daughter was to be called Sharron. On my way to the register office at 9am I passed an old Chinese Lady in the street and nodded my head to her She replied 早上好 translated is Good Morning 早 translated is first Sun a new day First sun of the day is at Dawn.
    Yes I got to the register office and as I was filling out the forms I could not help myself Sharron had become DAWN it was not until the christening that I was able to tell Mrs C what I had done. She was not best pleased with me at the time. But I live to tell the tail.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE