decided im going to tell my rheumy to start on methotrexate

Options
tilly87
tilly87 Member Posts: 5
edited 20. Mar 2012, 08:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
i know this isn't the most important thing, but can i drink at all still?? im in my twenties, i want to go out and have a drink with my friends sometimes!! i actually enjoy alcohol aswell it's not to get blind drunk.
as if this hasn't taken enough from me, i have to be stone cold sober through it all aswell?
life sucks

Comments

• tilly87
    tilly87 Member Posts: 5
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    only reason i'm agreeing to the meth is because my rheumy seems to think it's the best one for me. ive heard sulfa and hyrdo isn't as good.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Tilly

This question has been asked quite a few times on the forum. If you do a Search (top of page) and type in Alcohol Methotrexate there are about 6 pages of members views.

In the end you have to make up your own mind of course and I can quite understand that at your age or any age, if you like a drink or two it must be horrid to think that you must not. I would hate that! It would appear medics have differing views on this subject too. I am sure I read somewhere that it is not adviseable to have a drink on the day one takes the metho and that spirits are not a good idea. Don't you have regular blood checks if you are on metho too? Why not ask your rheumy what he advises.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Choosing a DMARD is a big decision when all you have to go on are the leaflets. Mine were chosen for me and maybe that was an easier way. I think you’re still struggling to accept your diagnosis, Tilly. And, who wouldn’t? It is, as you realise, a life-changing one. I may have got this completely wrong, but I think that’s what’s really upsetting you, not just the potential lack of alcohol.

It might help if you were to go back to your previous post in which several people dealt comprehensively with both the alcohol issue and others. Read them again slowly and realise that we’re all on your side in this. We know first hand how rubbishy this disease can be and we’ll try to help you through it.

There is a thread on here called ‘Acceptance’ and I’ll bump it up for you. It contains a lot of wise words and a lot of humour. If you read it you’ll see none of us just meekly roll over and accept arthritis. We rail against it, often in stupid ways, but we are still the same people we were before diagnosis.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The current thinking is that yes, alcohol is still on the agenda but it is wise firstly to give your liver a total break from it when you begin the meth. I was on two-weekly blood tests for years (thanks to my drugs cocktail) and I hope that you too will be regularly monitored. Allow yourself at least three alcohol-free months (meth can take anywhere from 2 -12 weeks to 'kick in') as your liver is the organ that excretes the nasties from it, so it is kindest not to add to its load until you know (and it knows!) how it's coping. 'Three months!' I can hear you shriek - it's almost three months since Christmas and I reckon that time has flown - it will pass, time does.

Arthritis does change our lives, the expectation of what our lives will be, the actual living of our lives but there is room to still have fun and let rip because what it cannot change is US. You are still the same person you were before this struck, I am still the same person I always was, it's just that now I have to make allowances for the condition and you will learn how to do that over time. I learned from Sticky that mostly it's me that bosses the arthritis, not the other way around. And that I boss it with the help of the meds. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi Tilly

Thats was one of my concerns with methotrexate but my rheumy doc said as long as I was sensible and nothing showed up in my blood tests that I would be fine to have a few drinks. Have been on mtx for 2 years now and touch wood I have been fine.

Good luck

debs