can emotional stress make symptoms worse?

Options
L1985
L1985 Member Posts: 120
edited 20. Mar 2012, 17:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi everyone

At my last rhuemy appointment i was given a steriod jab to help tide me over until i see my new consultant to start some trwatment for behcets in a few weeks.

Last time i had thus steriod in december it wored a treat but this time im still in alot of joint pain but i do have more energy. Im very emotinal this time too and my periods are all over the place again i think its due to the steriods.

My grandad died five days ago and im obviously very upset but seem to be very emotinal about itmore so then whars normal for me. I dont meanthat to sound uncaring towards my grandad just mean im normally quiet private in showing my emotions.?....hope this is making sense,

Do u think this the steriod doing this and is it possible for it not to effect your mood on one occasion and really effect it another?

I feel very on edge but cant really think y

Also when im getting so upset where im just sobbing and cant stop my joints are really hurting? Does this happen that emotinal stress can flare up your joints?

I do have more energy so the steriod has done something but dont feel its helped my joints like before.

I have two weeks until my next appointment which is really close but also feels a lifetime away

Thanks

Lulu x x x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lulu. The simple answer to your question is a definite and resounding 'yes'. If you are under stress the joints are likely to be bad. If the joints are bad you are stressed. It's a vicious circle.

I would doubt that it's the steroid jab causing your emotional upheaval though it could be. However, it seems to me you have ample reason for feeling so emotionally up and down without the steroid factor. Your Grandad has died. That's a big thing even if you weren't close. Also, this is a time of uncertainty about your future health. You would be made of stone if you didn't feel quite swamped by all that's going on.

Maybe you're trying too hard to 'be normal' when, inside, you feel anything but. Just be you. At least on here. You should know more in two weeks.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • L1985
    L1985 Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Hi

I was very close to my grandad i just seem to be getting more upset about it then i thought i would, we have known he was dying so it wasnt a shock it had happened more a relief he wasnt suffering now. I can normally keep a grip on my emtions and dont openly cry like i am doing at the mo.

Mayb your right it is a mixture of everything thats going on at the moment and im been too hard on myself

X x x
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Hello , Lulu , so sorry to hear you've lost your grandad ; agree with Sticky completely . Stress of any kind can make a big difference to arthritis of any kind . Be kind to yourself and try to relax . Jillyb
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Lulu
    Im so sorry for your loss & know & understand what your going through
    I lost two family members within 5 months last year
    Yes stress does make Arthritis worse
    Try & keep strong my thoughts are with you
    Maria
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    stress makes arther worse but not sleeping very well and constant pain makes us emotional just look at the numbers of us who suffer depression it all goes hand in hand and can make things different to how you would imagine they would be good luck and give your self time to grieve val
    val
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    I'm with the others on this its a vicious circle as val says stress causes more pain more pain causes more stress. stay strong and be kind to yourself.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    If you’re by nature a stoic, maybe your Grandad’s death, however much of a release it was for him, has resulted in you feeling able to cry, even though you’re still trying not to. You have much to cry about, Lulu. Don’t be so hard on yourself.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello Lulu,

It's a cycle not a circle.
    Stress is a definite component on the symptom cycle
    which forms the basis of the self management programmes
    delivered by AC and EPP and each symptom can attack and
    set off any other symptom.
    Sorry about your grandad.
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Options
    Stress definitely makes Arthur worse! Ive been very stressed over the last few days and i really noticed it had got worse!!! :(
    LOVE EMMA X
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Any form of stress does make things worse, and grieving is so difficult, it's a long process. I think that maybe for us there are two grievances, the death of a loved one plus the grieving for a life we feel we no longer have. The former can prompt the latter - well, it did for me in 2002 when my Pa died and I was five years into this ghastly journey. I am so sorry for your loss, this is indeed a stressful time. Come and talk to us, we can listen and will do our best to help. Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben