Hi, I'm new

Options
Kazbit
Kazbit Member Posts: 6
edited 23. Mar 2012, 14:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
I have just been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis and put on mtx 10mg. It has taken months to get to this point and am almost constantly in pain. It is affecting wrists, hands and fingers on both sides and boy are my fingers sore atm. I am struggling to cope with everyday simple things like lifting a kettle, food prep and cooking etc. The frustration of not being able to do the little things is worse than the pain!
I am also off work and have been since xmas eve, with long periods of absence the last half of last year. They are being mildly supportive in that they haven't dismissed me but they are being not very helpful in finding me alternative duties. I work for a major supermarket and am usually on a checkout, which because of my hands being painful and loss of grip etc I can't do. OH have been brilliant but the managers don't seem to be listening to them, it's like just because I can't go on a checkout then there's nothing else for me to do. They seem to be blocking me working when it's only checkouts I can't do. Anyway I am dreading telling them what my OT and rheumy nurse said last week because they will see it as the excuse they need to dismiss me. My OT told my that I will probably never be able to go on a checkout again unless they can guarantee me a break every 20 mins, when your lucky to get a break every 4 hours. i am putting off calling work, or putting off the inevitable, I can't decide yet.

Oh dear this is a long post just to say Hi. I think I may have needed to let it all out for once.

Kazbit xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Of course you need to let it all out and here is a very good place to do just that. It's lovely to meet you and I emapthise with the inflammatory arthritis as I too have a version of that, which now affects 38 joints. It's rough on a day-to-day basis and I'm trying to emerge from a flare - I don't have the energy though! :)

How long have you been taking meth? From the level of the dose I would guess it's not been that long but I hope it is beginning to help matters. Have you been given anything else adn are you getting your bloods regularly tested? As for work, well I am not clued up about such matters as I am self-employed but there is the Working Matters forum so posting on there might yield some information. Another source of information is the CAB, they are a knowledgeable bunch and I am sure they would be able to tell you what is what. I am glad you have found us and I hope we can help with encouragement and support. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Options
    Heya kazbit and welcome.

I'm fairly new here too but already feel at home. You will find everybody is lovely and helpful and not judgemental at all.

Fols x
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the site. You are having a rough time, I hope the meth helps you.

With regards to work, maybe you could call the CAB or a disability organisation to advise you of your rights. You are covered by the disability discrimination act, so are entitled to protection and certain reasonable adjustments.
  • Kazbit
    Options
    I have only just started the meth, have to take folic acid too. I get naproxin and co codamol for the pain. I have got my blood tests booked for every 2 weeks.
    it all seems a lot to deal with. You fight for so long for a diagnosis then have to keep fighting just to be heard.
    It was my OT who told me about this place, she rocks!
  • iamme
    iamme Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi Kazbit

I also am very new here, the response I've had has been outstanding - such a wealth of info, such support.

They really do care - keep posting!

J x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi, welcome from me too. Hope that you're not suffering too much today..
    I can't advise on the work front but just wanted to wish you well. Hope you find this pace as helpful as we all do :D
    You've definitely come to the right place for support etc..
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Welcome from me too, kazbit. If you've only just gone onto meth I'm afraid you have a bit of a wait before you'll see any results but hopefully, in a few weeks, you'll feel a lot better.

I agree, it's often the little things that get one down. I can only lift a kettle if it has a side handle (not a top one). I also hold the opposite side with a thick cloth (sponge scrubbers are ideal) to help balance the weight. Knives, forks etc are easier with thick handles. You can buy spongy things from disability shops that you push the real handle into. There are lots more ideas on the 'Simple Ideas' thread towards the top of the page.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Kazbit, Wanted to welcome you to the forum, and you can post rants or what you want whenever you want! Hope you enjoy the forum and lookforward to reading more of your posts in the future! :D
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Hi kazbit and welcome to the forum.We are a supportive and caring crowd here and have knowledge gained from personal experiences.
    I am on methotrexate (12.5mg weekly plus 5mg folic acid 24 hrs later).
    Have been on this several years with no side effects and has given good control.Have bloods done every 4-5 weeks.
    Hope you find us of help and keep posting there is always someone there willing to listen.
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • Kazbit
    Options
    Thanks all for the great welcome.
    It has been a bad week with my fingers being really swollen and painful, even the husbeast has noticed how bad the swelling is, my fingers on my right hand are twice the size of the left. I am slowly coming to terms with what's happening and am so glad of the help and support here.

Again thanks for the great welcome xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There is a good thread on here called Acceptance, it's a useful read and currently not too far down the page. Another one you could googbyngjeevask is The Spoon Theory, that is a very visual explanation of how our energy levels can (and indeed do) fluctuate. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jaja
    jaja Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi..kazbit...welcome to the site...sorry you had to find it!...im quite new but there is a good bunch on here and we'll all try and support you if we can....JAJA
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Kazbit
    And a warm welcome form me, It must be so hard when work isn't very helpful,
    But now you have us lot to let off steam to
    I do wish you well with everything xx
    Love
    Barbara