Options
2»

Comments

• barabrith
    barabrith Member Posts: 17
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi all

It was lovely to log in and find further replies - thank you all, it is so nice to feel supported.
    I had the confirmation letter from the hospital a few days ago and it says that I've been booked in for 5 nights, I was only expecting 3 or 4, so that was a disappointment!
    I've been really good about doing the exercises set by the hospital only to find this has caused a further problem - shin splints. It seems to be the "Ankle Pumps" that are causing this.
    I had previously had burning pains in my shins from time to time but this has got worse. I saw the podiatrist last week about my foot problem (OA in a couple of toes plus entrapped nerve) and he said the shin pain is due to my tight Achilles tendon. He suggested reducing the number of ankle pumps from 20 to 3. I'm seeing my physio on Wed so I'll see what she says.
    Unfortunately, my daughter doesn't live with us - she's currently training to teach English as a second language and will be working abroad in the near future. Also, my younger son is living in Australia. My elder son lives an hour away from us but is very stressed with buying his first house at the moment. I don't say very much about my arthritis to any of them, which makes the support and kind words here very reassuring.
  • macri
    macri Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi
    I am having my first Hip replacement next week, having waited a full year(3 cancellations) and ended up getting so bad that I can no longer walk without a roma trolley, indoors, and am in a wheelchair outside. You are very lucky that you are being offered a replacement so quickly. Also I have not been given any excercises to do!! :? anyway it is up to you, but I wouldnt wait too long, I was walking without aid 1 year ago, look at me now.
    Good luck whatever you decide. :D
    Macri
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Barabrith, I think it's quite likely that the 5 nights is a guesstimate and, if you're well enough to leave beforehand, they'll be happy for you to go. However, don't rush things. It's better to stay as long as they want you there and get all the physio and advice you can get. Even when you feel ready for home, it's amazing how different you feel once back there. Oh it's good, in so many ways (Your own bed for a start) but you soon realise that in terms of ease of access to stuff, it's nowhere near as simple as in hospital. I'm sure you'll be fine but don't forget we're always here for support.
    macri wrote:
    I have not been given any excercises to do!! :?

Try here, macri http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement/Healthylifestyle
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh that's good news, barabrith, I am pleased for you. Have you looked at M J King's thread about tips for going into hospital? It's a permanent one at the top of this forum's index page - it might be worth a read-through. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben