Which herbs/alternatives help the best?

Options
JoJo2012
JoJo2012 Member Posts: 4
edited 23. Mar 2012, 04:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello.

With regards particularly to OA, but also to RA, which herbal supplements or other types of non-prescribed pills/treatments that you have personally tried have worked the best for you? What do you recommend to others?

Personally I don't find any benefit from the usual types of supplements recommended for arthritis. I was wondering how effective apple cider is and also devil's claw?

I find that when I'm having a particularly bad day and feel like I'm swollen all over, if I take a bumper dose of calcium and zinc together it really does knock it on the head before the evening. Also, I've found that SBC arnica gel is fantastic.

Thank you.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I hate to sound negative but......none. I think there is some evidence that cod liver oil will help mildly with OA. It never did anything for me but, by the time my OA kicked in, I'd already had years of RA. Also, I tend to eat a lot of oily fish anyway.

Try whatever you think may help but, if you are also on prescription meds, make sure your GP and/or rheumatologist is aware of what you are taking.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Yes the arnica gel {for arthritis...not just for bruises} is quite good.
    There are other gels that do help a bit but be careful of other meds...eg if you are on antiinflamms. a lot of gels have antiinflamm properties.....Ibroprufen, naproxen and quite a few others will clash with certain meds so ask you doc.
    Devils claw is contraindicated if you have epilepsy....not suggesting you do but I do which is how I know that one.
    If you find anything that works and the GP agrees its OK to try.....go ahead and good luck
    Love
    Hileena
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Afraid I wouldn't recommend anything , I do exclude certain foods from my diet which helps me , but having tried loads of quack remedys over my 31 years of RA ; there's not one I'd suggest to others . Now I stick to traditional medecines ! Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If they helped none of us would be here. They don't ergo we are. I think they help those who like to think they have arthritis, but for those of us who actually do, well, I'd rather spend my money on things that DO help, like upgrading my tin opener or replacing a perfectly good iron with a lighter model. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben