Amoxicillin & Sulfa

Options
Katiebelle
Katiebelle Member Posts: 12
edited 23. Mar 2012, 08:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

I'm currently taking Amoxicillin to get rid of an infection in my wisdom tooth, it's an ongoing problem and I'm waiting to have it taken out at the hospital.
I take Sulfa for my PA (2000mg per day), just wondering if anyone had experienced feeling strange whilst taking these two meds? I feel a bit odd and distant almost like I'm stood next to myself and everything is happening to someone else! I know that may sound strange but it's the only way i can explain it!!
Also i'm feeling very tired and my one hand is aching so I suspect a flare might be heading my way :(
Your thoughts are appreciated!

K xxx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't take sulph. I'm on meth and I always remind anyone who's prescribing me antibiotics as there are several kinds one shouldn't combine with meth. I can't remember if amoxycillin is one of them. I never take that anyway as it messes with my stomach.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi,
    Have you checked with your rheumy nurse that you can take both together? I've been through a year of frequent chest infections and had to stop my sulfasalazine and plaquinel whilst on any antibiotics.
    Hope the tooth improves soon.
    Deb x
  • Katiebelle
    Options
    I don't have access to a rheumy nurse, have phoned rheumy dept before and the receptionist\secretary was not too helpful and it has put me off calling again but have called my gp surgery and am waiting for a call back, they are usually very helpful to me! I finish the anti biotics on sunday evening and my tooth is so much better today!! Very, very pleased about that!! Still feeling a little starnge tho but don't mind putting up with it for a few more days if the tooth stays better!!

Thanks for your help! :D

K xxx
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    I cant see any reason to stop the anti biotics when on sulpha because as far as i am aware sulpha does not alter your amune system. However you should phone your GP or rheumy nurse for guidence.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Katiebelle
    Options
    Thanks Colin, I may be wrong but i thought that Sulfa suppresses the overactivity of my immune system to reduce my flares? Or something along those lines?!

K xxx