New visitor

Options
fergyflo
fergyflo Member Posts: 3
edited 25. Mar 2012, 10:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
I do hope you will bear with me as I have never done this before and being 70 years of age its all a bit new to me.

I will try to be as brief as I can and explain as much as I can about my condition.
I have suffered with pains in my back for perhaps 30 years and was told then that the discs at the base of my back were fused but not a lot could be done. The pains seemed to come and go and had heat treatment, accupuncture, and took co-proxamol. I worked in a junior school and bending over small desks certainly did not help. Anyway it was always manageble then.
I am retired now after being made redundant in 1995 and was never able to find further employment.

Life went on until about 5 years ago and I had problems with high blood pressure. I spent many months back and forth to the GP's surgery and various sorts of medications but it refused to come down. Then 3 years ago diagnosed with angina, more medication.

January 2010 slipped on the ice, fell on back. Didn't go to A&E as the weather was so bad and elderly husband did not want to drive the 12 miles. Did go next day to GP surgery. He looked and felt back and said he didn't think there was anything and would get better, just take cocodamol. Continued monthly visits to surgery to monitor blood pressure and each time I saw doctor told him my back was still painful, and he continued to say it would get better eventually but when you ar elderly it takes longer. Anyway long story short eventually I was in surgery and back was so painful I got rather upset. Outcome he decided to send me for MRI scan. This was done in the October 9 monthes after fall! Saw consultant for results - was not even asked to sit down, was told that I had fractured T7 nothing could be done only pain management clinic.
Along with the fracture the arthritis in spine had got worse.
I have had 2 lots of trigger point injections, last about 3 weeks and then as bad as ever. Its very painful along with pain in lower back and top of spine.
Have been seeing podiatrist also because of pain in feet, but treatment has not been much use, she want to give cortisone injections in toes, but am not too happy with that.
For the last nine months or so my knees have been so painful and swollen and now find great difficulty in getting up stairs. Also find getting in and out of car most difficult. Getting out of the chair is so difficult too. If fact life is getting just so hard. Then to top it all I had a dexa scan 9 months ago and have osteopenia. Also have Kidney damage stage 3.
The pain and mobility problems are really getting me down as there seems to be no-one who can offer any advice, like getting in and out of car getting up and down off the loo, getting out of chairs, going up stairs.
I'm sorry this is such a moan, but just hope there is someone out there with some suggestions please. Also have pain in tops of arms and elbows.
Will go now and look forward to hearing from you all out there.
Thank you so much for reading this
Paula

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Paula and welcome. I'm so sorry about all the problems you've had with your back for so long. Other bits joining in must have seemed like the final straw. I can't say much about backs. Most of mine isn't too bad. However, I'm sure there'll be people along soon who will, the the very least, commisserate.

Most other bits of me though are affected. You don't say whether yours is Osteo or Rheumatoid. Mine's a bit of both these days. I'm guessing yours is osteo because you only mention painkillers (or paindullers as some of us here prefer to call them). They, and surgery, are how osteo is treated. If current pain levels are too great there are different ones that can be prescribed. If yours is rheumatoid, you should have seen a rheumatologist. There are more meds for the auto-immune varieties of arthritis.

For the practical problems there are several things you can do. Firstly, you can ask to see an Occupational Therapist. They will sort you out with any equipment you need to make your home a little easier - raised loo seat, grab rails etc. They are very, very helpful people. Secondly, you'll see a thread towards the top of this page called 'Simple Ideas....' where we have all contributed ideas on what we do to help ourselves. Thirdly, Arthritis Care also have a series of booklets will deal with many aspects of this disease and how to handle it. Go to the 'Publications and Resources' button at the top of the page. Fourthly, keep talking to us because, even when we can't help, we can still sympathise as we know how it is.

I've had steroid jabs in
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi welcome paula you have been through so much and sound a very strong person wheat bags are a must i have three or four different shapes depending on where they are needed have you had blood tests to rule out autoimune arthers good luck stay intouch val
    val
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Paula

I am sorry to read your posting. You sure have a lot going on and other things just seem to be adding themselves on, don't they? I do have back problems, but no pain now. I had an operation and go tomorrow for my 6 months check. Walking outside is not always that good for me! I can sympathise with you and back problems. Like you I fell on black ice and finished off my rotator cuff well and truly with an inoperable massive tear so I really can commiserate with being told there is nothing to be done.

I will say that pain clinics are great - well the one that I have been to is. The jabs I have had in my lower back and shoulder (just had another shot two days ago in my shoulder) have lasted me a few years at a time and given me good pain relief. I also get sympathy from the medics there which does not seem to be offered much these days to OA patients.

I have not had to call on the OT's yet but my mum has been given lots of gadgets ie perching stool, walking frames, raised toilet seat and trolleys to help her out. We have put the grap rails around for her but an OT will provide them. An OT will come and see you in your home and see what you need.

My problems have and are all osteo arthritis related which I think may be your problem too. I have painkillers but have no need to take them now but I do take anti inflammatories daily. I have had both my knees replaced.

Have you been offered physio? They could help you with things like getting in/out of the car/up and down from a chair and perhaps give you some exercises to do.

Chin up, I am 62 at the end of the year so not that far behind you in age and it has been going on since my very early 40's.

Chin up,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi from me too... That's an awful lot to contend with... I've had the osteo in my lower spine for many years and I know it's no fun...
    As my dear friend Sticky has mentioned, get your gp to refer you to an occupational therapist, they really can help... There are allsorts of gizmos etc designed to help..
    This forum is a great place for support and advice, I hope you find it as helpful as we all do..

Best wishes mi dear :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Fistly, it's lovely to meet you and I am pleased that you have found us as I am sure we can help with support. Secondly, what a smashing job you did with your first post! You rock, girl! :) (I understand that is a somewhat passé term for well done). Thirdly, I second what eveyone else has said (and yes, that does make sense!)

Now, the practicalities. For the getting out of a car seat and/or a dining chair I use either a swivel cushion or a plastic bag. The latter is not as elegant but it works, you sit on the bag then when you need to rise you turn easily and can use the table for support (as long as your arms are not too sore). Rising from my sofa is a little more problematical as there is only one arm to my right side but having the seat raised can help. This can be done by either adding an extra cushion to sit on or by placing cups under the furniture legs (if it has legs). Not tea cups tho, these cups are specially designed plastic thingies! I also always sit with my legs supported on the footstool, with a pillow underneath them. (My knees and ankles are a misery.) I was given a raised loo seat by Social Services in 2002 and it is a god-send. I have bought suction grab handles which can then be removed - I prefer this option as I don't usually need them but if I do then they are there. Social Services also installed a better banister for both flights of stairs but maybe a stair lift could be on the cards for you? Our stairs don't permit such a thing, so I continue to haul my arthritic carcass up and down. Ouch.

I think it is indeed time for your GP to put you in touch with OT (occupational therapy) or at least to give you their details, I contacted my Social Services off my own bat. I wish you well and I am pleased you are here. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Paula, Firstly welcome to the forum! I'm so sorry that you have such a serious injury to your back and on top of that to have Arthritis in back as well. I hope you find the forum surportive and helpful to yourself and look forward to reading more posts by yourself. Oh and finally, you have every right to have a moan! We all do it! :D
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi Paula,
    Welcome from me too. I hope you continue to post here as they are such a helpful, caring and most importantly understanding group of people.
    All the best .
    Numpty
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Hi Paula
    You have been given some good advice I would like to add my tuppence worth. You may already know of these but it won't harm to mention just in case. It sounds very much like you would qualify for Attendence Allowance which is non-means tested extra money for you to spend as you want, (you do not need someone in attendance for you.it is a long drawn out form so I suggest you get help with it (ageuk are good with forms and will help if you ask). A Blue parking badge if you don't have one, from your local county council will make it easier to get around. You mention one of your main problems is getting in/out of the car, there is a sort of lever which is very easy to use and just hooks into the car door closure thing on your left and side so you can help push yourself up with it,(sorry not a very good discription) dissability shops sell them I think @ £20. Definately contact Occupational Therepy via GP/Social Services/County Council for gadgets to help around the home. Also of course as someone has already advised the 'simpe ideas' thread on which lots of people have shared ideas to make things a little easier. Good luck!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Paula
    Its lovely to meet you, I am glad you have found us...only sorry you had to look in the first place
    You will gets lots of support, and it the best way to get answers because has you have found GPs dont have much time.
    I suppose the others have said it all, but I use a plastic carrier bag on the car seat, it helps me swivel in...and I have a raised toilet seat..wonderful
    I do hope you stay with us, at least you can talk to people that understand some of what you are going through.
    Hope to hear more form you very soon xxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi Paula,

How nice to meet you. It sounds like you've had far too much to deal with recently. I can't really add much more than the rest of the lovely helpful people on here except to second the advise to speak to Occupational Therapy, they have helped me out lots over the past year.

Welcome to the forum - look forward to getting to know you better
    Jan xx
  • fergyflo
    fergyflo Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi all

Thank you all for your replies, its nice to know there are so many careing people out there.

Just one question at the moment, if the Occupational Therapist makes suggestions as to various equipment to make life easier, do I have to pay for these things? Only I have no savings at all and my pension is just over the threshold so cannot claim any benefits, I would not be able to pay for anything that was suggested.

Hope I will be able to get some help.
    Paula
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Paula
    Welcome to the forum...sorry I'm late with this post.

If the OT advises anything its free.....you dont have to pay.
    Nor do you have to go to your GP to get referred.....you can self refer.
    As far as I know in most areas....certainly here you can.

I've got an extra bannister on the stairs, got a "grabber" I have also got a cushion for the car {and inside} but just use it for the car. Thick foamy thing {sorry not very good explanation :lol: } My OA is in my hips and spine and it helps when driving the car all day {I used to drive all day when I worked} I've got a handle for the bath but its a sucker one that I bought so that I can take it off when I dont need it.

When I had a hip replacement I had a raised loo seat that was brilliant, a trolly so that if i was on my own in the house I could put my sticks down and push the trolly to the kitchen, make a cup of tea and bring it back. Had loads of other thins at that time but i sent them back when my recupperation period was over. Now I have got a scooter {2nd hand} which i bought and a 4 wheel rollator {which I also bought}
    So you get in touch with them and see what they can do
    Love
    Hileena
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    they got me my long handled shoe horn, it's excellent, also the ergonomic style crutches and walking sticks as my pandies are bad lol, I can ring them when my wrist straps start to fall apart and they'll post them to me, but I do my best to get to chapel allerton (where mine are based in Leeds) to get them.. (only bad thing us that the physio/ot dept is at the furthest reaches down the longest corridoor in the hospital lol)
    They've been great. She did give me a catalogue so that I could but my own stuff as well.. I have a wet room shower/loo and live in a ground floor flat but that was already done when we moved here but I'm sure they would have helped with the rails etc. I really must enquire about the loo seat, my hips hurt a lot when prone for a while :shock: On the other hand so do my knees which is why I'm not sure if it would be the best thing.. Maybe a foot stool? Lol
    Sorry, I've rattled on haha....

In short, you shouldn't have to pay hun..
    Best of luck :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    If the OT advises anything its free.....you dont have to pay.

I'm not sure that's quite right, Hileena. What mine told me, when replacing my bath lift, was that they'll pay up to £1,000. Perfectly adequate for most of our needs. However, anything above that is, I believe, means tested.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sticky
    Sorry if thats not right but nonee of them have mentioned money to me???
    Remember I had a bath lift at one time as well.....she said if it wasnt suitable she would try a different kind of bath lift
    Dont know if its different authorites
    Tony seems to think its free as well

Love
    Hileena