A meds question.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 23. Mar 2012, 18:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
During a rather strenuous and tiring morning doing the cleaning I came across a bottle of Docusate caplets which had fallen down behind my desk. It contains just under 100 of the little 'unblockers' (which are a very cheery yellow-and-white combo) and they were issued to me in May 2011. My query is this: what is their expiry date? That is not mentioned anywhere on the little brown bottle, not a sausage. Do they expire? Most things do so I assume they might but I doubt they have done so yet. Do any of you have any ideas as to how I find out? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi DD the only thing i can think of is to phone the local Chemist, However if they have been stuck down behind the desk for a year what have you been taking.

Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oooh, let me see, curry, beer :) and other ones from another tub! That tub has the original info on it, the found ones were decanted into a little bottle by the chemist herself. I also have some 5mg steroids in a similar container but as I am no longer taking those they have to go back to the pharmacy. To be on the safe side I'll return these too. Thanks for your reply. DD
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I'll try one :D lol :? :wink:
    And for a minute there, by the name of your thread, I wondered who ahmed was and why he couldn't ask his own question :shock: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Unless they're very out of date my usual attitude is suck it and see :oops: I know it's not PC but I'm guessing most meds either get weaker or possibly stronger. I must add, however, that I have no medical qualifications though I do my bit to keep many health professionals in work.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi DD,
    I would be on the safe side and return those and get more when needed.
    All the best.
    Numpty
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Maybe a daft question DD but does this bottle come in a box? Reason I ask is cos when I was struggling to find an expiry date recently, I finally found it "etched" (rather than printed) into the bottom of the box.

Tillyxxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry DD cant offer any help..I go with the suggestion of asking a chemist.
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Stick with the curry and lagar DD lot better for you !!Mig
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,942
    Options
    Hi DD.
    i not sure what they would do the chemist might be interested in them.
    take care and have a good weekend.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi DD,
    If you haven't done it already I would definately take them back to the chemist.
    Better safe than sorry hun though why expiry dates aren't put on all meds is a mystery.
    May
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Options
    They probably are still in date but better to err on the side of caution and take them back.

Fols x
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    My policy is to get rid of anything 6 months past its
    issue date.
  • sugarbuttie
    sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
    Options
    Take the buggers back! Don't risk it - you are too precious!!
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hiya,

When 'loose' capsules or tablets are decanted into an amber bottle, the chemist won't put an expiry on them as they assume they will be taken from the date they were dispensed (unless they are due to expire soon).

In hospital pharmacies they put an expiry date on bottles with loose tabs in them. It's usually 6 months from when they were dispensed, unless the manufacturers expiry i.e. from the original bottle, is less than 6 months. If this is the case, then the correct expiry is put on the bottle.

The capsules will be expired, so please take them back to your chemist. They won't do you any harm but the efficacy (sp!) will have diminished.

Magenta x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh my word, bless you and thank you all, especially Magenta. I have had a very trying evening and I am grateful for your responses. I am facing a difficult morning (professionally) and, to be honest, life generally is not that hot. I sincerely thank 'whoever' that you, my AC friends, are here, no matter what. Big hugs to you all. DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi DD
    I agree with everyone ...take them back the chemist, query the expiry date with her as well....I find a lot of the time that the expiry is etched onthe bottom of the box {which you dont have now}
    Better be safe
    Love
    Hileena