Interesting meds info

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 24. Mar 2012, 17:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, I found it interesting. I had a routine rheumatology appt today and told her of my switch from Lansoprazole to Omeprazole (because I can take a higher dose). She said that was no problem. “It costs a bit more but that’s OK.” I said I thought it was the other way round. She said it depends which is bought in bulk by one’s local health authority. Mine buys Lansop in bulk, hence it’s cheaper here.

I mention this because I guess it also applies to other meds and is therefore relevant to all. Probably some of you already knew this but I didn’t. :oops:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi SW
    I certainly didn't know this...I have tried to get my doctor to change my Lansoprazole..but he he's not listening at the min...now I know why.
    So thanks for the info
    Love
    Barbara
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Sticky this is interesting and proves that some Pct's like mine refused to prescribe what I needed yet another close one did.
    Postcode lottery and money not what the patient needs seems to be common practice.
    Having said that I wouldn't of thought there was much difference in price of what is after all the same type of med.
    You live and learn.......May
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sticky
    No i didnt know that but when I changed GP's I was on omneprozol and when the repeat was due the new one changed it.
    Both the same area but thats possibly the reason

Love
    Hileena
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Options
    I had a similar problem. They took me off diclofenac which was brilliant and put me on ibuprofen which is a bit pants tbh. They said the diclofenac was hard for them to get as they don't use it much so I had to change.

Very annoying.

Fols x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    interesting one hun.
    What dose if the lanzoprazole were you on/wanting to go to? I just ask as I was taking three a day for a while, dunno if you can long term like?
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    May - I think the whole point is that it's not that one is cheaper than the other but that whichever one your health authority buys in bulk is cheaper than the other.

Tony - I'd been on 30 mgs Lasop per day for yonks. Before that 15mgs. The doc said I couldn't put up the dose of lansop but, because omep come in 20mg tabs, it was OK to take 2 per day.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I'm with ya hun.. X
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Ldyalb
    Ldyalb Member Posts: 85
    Options
    I had the opposite problem. I was given Omeprazole initially but couldn't take them as they were in gelatine capsules and I'm a Vegetarian. Some of the other drugs my GP considered cost a ridiculous amount more (like £100).

In the end we settled on Lansoprazole as she could give me a version which dissolves on the tongue with no gelatine. She said it cost about £6 more in the end.