ESA Appeal to move to Support Group. Need a bit of help pls

Options
Folara
Folara Member Posts: 568
edited 24. Mar 2012, 14:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
I received my ATOS medical report today but it doesn't have any points next to the descriptions etc?

Also, it quite clearly mentions my incontinence :oops: and the fact I am unable to move from one chair to another without help and that I am unable to walk more than 50 meters without being in severe pain BUT then they have put me in the WRAG. Surely I should be in the support group? I am unlikely to get mysteriously better in the next 18 months which is the only 'negative' bit of the report.

I saw my Dr today who has confirmed he is doing a letter of support for me, saying I won't be ok to work in 18 months and that I do 'fit' within the 3 descriptors for the Support group. I am very sad that my Dr, who has been so supportive and lovely will be retiring next Friday :(

So, when I get this letter from the Doc, should I write to the DWP pointing out that the ATOS medical examiner had said that I was unable to do the above etc and that it's supported by my Doc BUT that I disagree about returning to work in 18 months and I should be in the Support Group? I will enclose copy of docs letter to them.

Am I missing something vital or getting confuddled with the differences for grouping etc?

This is so stressful and I've had a really horrible 2 days which doesn't help.

Fols x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry. Can't help but bumping it up in the hope that others can.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Folara
    Options
    Thanks sticky. I've posted on the moneysupermarket forum and there's a great guy on there - rogerblack - who is very helpful. It's all so confusing and it seems if you do anything wrong then they can throw the appeal out. So much stress :cry:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have no experience of this Folara, but I am so very sorry that you are being stressed by those who are supposed to be helping. The whole system is a nonsense, the healthy really do not have a clue about ill health. They get better. We don't. They're all twerps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Folara
    Options
    Thanks DD. you made me laugh with the twerps bit. I needed it after a rubbish few days.

Fols x
  • Ldyalb
    Ldyalb Member Posts: 85
    Options
    I know someone (online) who successfully appealed a decision to place her in the WRAG. She's now in the Support Group.

You need to request the appeal within one month of the date of the letter, and it must be in writing. You should also fill in form GL24 and send that with the letter.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017514

You can download a copy from the link above, or get a hard copy from the Job Centre. I would advise you to put in the letter that you wish to only be contacted in writing about this matter. This is because the DWP have a habit of calling people up to persuade them to drop the appeal.

I'd also advise getting help from the CAB or a similar organisation such as Welfare Rights or DIAL. There is also a site called 'Benefits and Work', they do charge a fee for their info but do have some basic info for free, as well as their forum which you can read if you join as a free member.

The only thing to consider when making an appeal is that there is a slight risk they may remove your ESA altogether as they decide that you're not entitled at all.

The differences between the two groups are monetary, you get £94 a week for WRAG, and £100 a week (I think, exact amount may vary from £100). The main difference is that those in the WRAG are expected to make steps towards going back to work. These are things like interviews with the Job Centre to discuss your options. Those in the Support Group aren't expected to that although they can opt in to work focused interviews if they wish.

Hope that helps :)
  • Folara
    Options
    Thanks ldyalb.

The main problem I have is that they have NEVER sent me a decision letter in the first place. I only found this out when I had a telephone WFI and was told I was placed in the WRAG again.

On looking at the Support Group descriptors with my GP we are both of the opinion I fit within 3 of them and should therefore be placed in the Support Group not WRAG. He is writing a letter of support for me to send to them along with my Pain Management Consultants report. I will also complete the GL24 as suggested, thanks for the link :)

I am not so worried about the additional money as I am about trying to attend their meetings etc as that's a complete no-no for me at present. Of course any extra is always much appreciated.

We don't have a DIAL group anywhere near us and when I called the CAB they said they are now charging for information and help with ESA/DLA appeals. Surely that can't be right? I never even thought of Welfare Rights, so thanks again.

You've been very helpful.

Fols x