Strontium Ranelate - found to slow the progression of OA

Options
elnafinn
elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
edited 24. Mar 2012, 07:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.

Comments

• mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I saw this too, Elna.. Looks very encouraging!

Marion
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Options
    I saw this in a newspaper today but sadly couldn't buy it as I didn't have enough money left, so thanks for posting about it here. Really encouraging news.

Fols x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    I read about it today in the paper but also noticed that the above link was on FB (Facebook) so thought perhaps it may be useful/helpful to some people who look in here. :)

If you wish to learn more or ask any questions, the helplines (Tel no at top of the page) are waiting for your call. :)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • sturge8
    sturge8 Member Posts: 164
    Options
    A study of 1,683 mostly women patients with an average age of 63 found that for every three years of treatment, the drug slowed progression of the disease by a year.

from the express online site
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/309899/New-arthritis-cure-for-1-a-day

This from Arthritis Research UK -
    The phase-III study involved 1,683 men and women, all of whom were aged 50 or above and had been diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the knee.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/news/general-news/2012/march/bonestrengthening-drug-strontium-ranelate-slows-osteoarthritis-progression.aspx

Are there two trials here with the same amount of people, or a typo all sounds a little confusing. Can anyone shed some light on here?
  • elnafinn
    Options
    This is a link I found:

http://www.controlled-trials.com/ISRCTN41323372

Why don't you call the helplines with your question, Sturge?

Elna x

• sbolam
    sbolam Member Posts: 374
    Options
    I read this too, very interesting if it comes off, there maybe hope of some people...
    04_pain.jpg
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    I also read this with great interest, just hope it's licensing isn't too late to help me ... lol. But it will help many others.
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi,
    I read this with interest as I'm already taking Strontium Ranelate for my OP. To think it might help my OA is fantastic.
    However my GP wouldn't prescribe this because of cost but my consultant did.
    It will depend on NICE and if they will pass this as a drug for OA.
    Lets hope so......and soon.
    May
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Thanks for the link Elna, its so good to know that things are progressing in the treatment of OA...this is very encouraging :D
    Love
    Barbara