Nail detachment with PsA?

Options
Ldyalb
Ldyalb Member Posts: 85
edited 24. Mar 2012, 17:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
I haven't been diagnosed with PsA, I'm about 5 weeks into a 10 week wait to see a Rheumy about it. Had pain and swelling in my finger joints since last summer, gradually getting worse but my GP wouldn't scan them, despite my last Rheumy saying he needed to when she discharged me from her care in November. I think the GP I was seeing just thought it was a 'wait and see case' and that the pain was due to my Fibro and HMS.

Then my nails appeared with pits in January (hadn't noticed as they'd been hidden under nail varnish over Xmas). I sought a second opinion and my new GP referred me to a Rheumy, suspecting PsA. I do not have P. I do have Eczema and my GP thinks that one patch of it is actually P. I have noticed my skin becoming drier and sore, especially on the hands. I have also had some small outbreaks of dry, flakey skin. Some are pea sized and on my right upper arm and the joint of my elbow on the right arm too. Others are patches on my face. I haven't had them on my face since December as I switched skin care products to something I used a few years ago and never got flakey bits with. Last time they flared up was when the swelling and stiffness became much worse in my fingers. Prior to that I thought the slight swelling warranted investigation 'just in case'. But by early Jan one of my little fingers middle knuckle changed shape slightly and hasn't changed back, and the stiffness became much more noticeable. I could definitely tell it was in the joint, rather than the muscular stiffness I get with Fibro.

Most of the nails are now at the stage where the pits are close to the white bit of my nail. I've been pleased about this as no new pits have appeared in the nails so it looks like they'll soon have grown out.

However I noticed today that my first finger on my left hand's nail has more white on the right side than on the left. It's sort of slanting downwards from the middle on the right, but not on the left. I can fit another fingernail underneath it and feel the skin at the division between the white bit and the pink bit.

I'm pretty sure this is Onycholysis aka nail detachment. This is the nail which has the pits nearest the edge of the nail bed - I'm concerned the dectachment is being caused by the pits growing out and that the rest of my nails will follow suit soon. I'm also a bit scared my nail will come off (I'm squeamish about nails - sods law I'd get nail Psoriasis).

Anyone with PsA or suspected PsA had their nails detach? The pits I can deal with, they're only noticeable up close. But I'm concerned about how to care for my nails if they detach, I want to avoid infections etc.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think you need to see your GP as soon as you can. He is the best placed to advise you about this. My P is coming under control again as I increase my sulph, but my fingernails keep breaking. Hey-ho. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Ldyalb
    Options
    So far it's not too bad fortunately. Will try and see if I can get an appointment though. I woke up with a small patch of red skin at the base of the affected finger which had white flakes on it. It's gone now though, bar the white flakes. It's no longer red.

I'm getting itchy feet over my Rheumy appointment. I received a letter dated 20 Feb. It said I had to wait approximately 10 weeks and that they will contact me again approximately 2-3 weeks before the appointment to arrange it. I'm hoping they mean it'll be 7-8 weeks before they call and the rest of the 10 weeks after that. Not 10 weeks then a call, then 2-3 week wait.

When I was last referred to a Rheumy I had to wait 3 weeks. I've been diagnosed with other stuff since 2010 so it's weird being back in that 'I don't know what's wrong' box again. I've become used to knowing that XYZ is Fibro, or Dyspraxia, or HMS etc.
  • Ldyalb
    Options
    Noticed tonight it's spread to my right thumb. My GP has a 4 week waiting list usually so I'll have to be at my surgery for 8am on Monday to queue for one of the few same day appointments they offer :cry: