3 weeks post BHR

Options
SusieG
SusieG Member Posts: 30
edited 25. Mar 2012, 06:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

3 weeks after my BHR I thought I would give you all an update.

All is going really well, I am now walking round the house without my stick, can go up the stairs normally, and only a couple of days until I can come down. The last pain killer I took was 3 days ago because I had toothache. :) I am walking about 15 minutes a day. Had a really good physio session yesterday and she has said if I work hard can start driving again after I see her next Friday.

On the downside my operated leg is about 1 cm shorter than the other one, although the physio thinks that it might have been like that before the operation, but it is making me limp more than I would otherwise. Also I'm not sleeping very well, but I think that is due to not doing a lot and after I go back to work next Friday hopefully this will improve.

So all looking good, thanks for your support and I will keep you updated on my progress.

Sue

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am so pleased to hear that it is all going well for you SusieG, but don't get too carried away you hear? :) I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Lovely to hear from you, SusieG and I'm so pleased all went to plan. You sound to be doing amazingly well. I had thought your pre-op fitness would be a help but I confess I didn't imagine you'd be doing so well so soon.

Leg length can be a problem although I found it more so after TKRs than THRs. I suggest you don't leave it too long before taking action as it could put pressure on other bits and that would be a shame when things are so good. Your operated leg might still lengthen a bit as muscles get stronger but yours seem pretty good already so, if it continues, I'd be checking out decent insoles or even ask for an orthotics appointment so that they can do the job for you. Your physio might be able to advise on this.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Options
    That's really good news Susie. Sounds like its all going well to plan.

Fols x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Sue
    Im so glad your op went well, and long may it continue...do you mind me asking....sorry but my brain isnt working properly these days but what is a BHR :wink: :oops:
    Love
    Barbara
  • SusieG
    Options
    Barbara

Thank you.

Birmingham Hip Resurfacing.

Sue
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    that's great to hear mi dear :D
    Really pleased for you... Hope the sleeping problems settle, are you phasing back into work?

Best of luck for the future............ :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • SusieG
    Options
    Tony

Not a phased return to work as such, but I work from home a lot of the time, and will be totally for at least a couple of weeks, so no travelling and can take breaks when I like.

I felt ready to start back about a week ago, but consultant made me take 4 weeks.

Sue.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    SusieG wrote:
    Barbara

Thank you.

Birmingham Hip Resurfacing.

Sue
    Well you learn something new everyday....thankyou...and you carry on improving...please keep us updated on your progress xx
    Love
    Barbara