methotrexate question

Options
Star2001
Star2001 Member Posts: 96
edited 26. Mar 2012, 14:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
hello everyone. not feeling well but wanted to ask if meth side effects tend to mount up after a few doses? haven't had any effects as yet after my first dose, is this likely to mean i won't be like to ever have any? also i notice that lots of people are on 10 or 15mg whereas i have to get up to 20mg, do you know what determines dosage. i read somewhere that its weight related but i am not very overweight. so many questions pop up sorry. got to go as hands bad but hope you all can have a good day x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ah Star, who knows? Some have trouble from the word go but then their body adjusts, some have no trouble at any dose, others start trouble-free then hit a sticky patch. It's one of those individual things, like all the rest of it. What is your entry-level dosage? I think I began on 5, then went to 7.5 followed by 10, but then I got the rash and was taken off the tablets. I hope you soon feel better - what sort of not feeling well are you experiencing? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kathe
    kathe Member Posts: 183
    Options
    I take 20 mg, it has noting to do whit the weigt of the person....
    I`am very tinny and littel ..I started with 5, så 10 and so 15 and now 20. Took at first the tabletts but now i take the injections.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think luck plays a big part. I can't remember my starting dose but I think it was quite big. I went up to 22.5 for some time with no real side effects. I don't know about the weight-related thing but I'm not tall and hover just under 10 stones. I fyou've no side effects now let's hope that continues. remember, on here, it tends to be the people with problems who post. The vast majority have no problems and just get on with life.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Star2001
    Options
    thank you all :) it's a case of wait and see then. i started on 10mg 15 in 2 weeks and 20 in 4 weeks time. just my hands and upper back, xray of spine soon but hands are much worse than ever. mostly pain but often numb for a bit and that is better than pain but am still worried. thanks all x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I've never done numbness but as for meth results - I really think it's very early days for you. I can be weeks before it kicks in. I hope yours is sooner but don't be worried if it isn't.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Star2001
    Options
    thanks. yes i dont expect to see results anytime soon. just wanted to ask about dosage and side effect likelihood. am reading more about it all now, lots of good info in posts on here :) thanks again
  • Scarlet
    Scarlet Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi Star
    Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I've been on 10mg mtx for nearly 4 years now, and I've never had any side effects in that time, but I know lots of people on here have suffered. I guess it just depends on your body and how it tolerates it.
    As for the dosage....I honestly think thats down to individual doctors. My consultant has been fine with my dose for the last few years, but recently I saw a new consultant who decided I needed to go up to 25mg. I had an appointment with the nurse to discuss my change in dose, and even she said different doctors have different ways of doing things, and I can stop at whichever dose I am happy with, so we're going for 20mg. I've been increasing my dose on a fortnightly basis and I'm happy to say I haven't had any side effects in this time. Before I started mtx my arthritis was really bad, I have it in my wrists knees and ankles, I found it really difficult to walk, I struggled to lift things and hold things, I couldn't get in and out of the bath...but now I am at uni and work part time, and hardly anyone knows I have arthritis. I hope things get better for you soon :-)
  • Star2001
    Options
    Thanks Scarlet, glad to hear that mxt has been good for you :) despite the fact that i know it takes time for these drugs to take effect i think i'm just wishing it would hurry up and show :lol: there doesn't seem to be a painkiller that helps enough at times does there? still feeling fine side effects wise after my second dose though so am pleased about that. i increase dosage for first time next weekend. good luck with the 20mg x