Copper/ magnetic bracelets?

Options
littlemissmai
littlemissmai Member Posts: 28
edited 24. Mar 2012, 13:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried the copper/ magnetic bracelets and if if so, did you find it helped?

Or what are peoples opinions about these types of things? I would much prefer to try and manage my pain with complementarity therapies but im only just starting to explore the options.

xx
x X x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You name it jewellery-wise (and magnetic joint-support wise) I have it - and it all stays firmly in a drawer. Some find benefit, others don't. What we all soon learn is that what works for one person may not do a sausage for another. RA is caused by an over-active immune-system so these things won't tackle that, that is the job of the meds, but you may find that they could help with pain, and I hope they do. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I've tried various magnetic and copper bracelets which have unfortunately not made any difference to me. Someone I know swore that copper insoles 'cured' her OA pain but as I've had no luck with the bracelets, I'm loathe to spend even more money. I used to be a huge fan of complementary therapies but I am far less fond of them these days. My advice is be careful with your time and money but if it isn't too expensive, a bracelet can't hurt.

All the best of luck.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think, in the past, I've tried the lot but now I stick with the meds. No-one wants to take them but they do a job. As DD says, give it try if you wish. It's always possible. But, if you're taking supplements alongside prescription meds, make sure your GP is aware.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Ldyalb
    Ldyalb Member Posts: 85
    Options
    My Mum had one of these for a while (she has OA in her hands). Arthritis and Rheumatic conditions run in both her side of the family, and Dad's. I'm not sure how helpful she found it but it was a gift from someone on her side of the family who also had arthritis and found the bracelet helped her pain.

I'm not a big one for alternative medicines but I have to admit - when I was a child I had terrible bladder problems, infections, wet the bed until an age I won't admit to. I saw countless Drs, Psychologists (I also had sleep issues generally) etc. No-one could help. In desperation my Mum tried a herbalist in my local town. He gave me a tea to drink with some drops. It was nasty tasting but it made a massive difference. I hardly ever wet the bed after that :D

I don't see how trying a copper bracelet could hurt, unless it's ridiculously expensive. If it doesn't work you're no worse off, but if it does help a bit then great. But I would mention any supplements etc to your GP first to make sure it'll be safe with any meds you take.