I know spring is here because..

Options
Numptydumpty
Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
edited 29. Mar 2012, 05:54 in Community Chit-chat archive
I know spring is here because my tortoises (what is the plural of tortoise? anyway I have two) are out of hibernation and are frolicking around the garden. You can't beat a good frolic!
Numpty

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Numpty
    This took me back to my childhood, I used to have 5 tortoises...and do you know I never lost a one in hibernation....it so good to see them come awake at this time of the year....I adore spring :D:D:D tanks for bringing back memories...
    Love
    Barbara
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I know spring has sprung because I feel happier ! The good weather makes such a difference . Jillyb
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    Hi Barbara, I've had one of my tortoises for 47 years! The other one was given to me by someone who found her and didn't know how to look after her. I'm pretty sure she's as old if not older than my original. I looked after a neighbours tortoise (a male) for a while lasty year, and one of my girls laid eggs. I kept them in an incubator for 12 weeks, but sadly they were not fertile. Even sadder the neighbours tortoise has since died. Maybe it was the excitement of meeting two ladies after all these years.
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Thank you, Numpty. I'm with Barbara. Happy memories of dandelion leaf gathering on my way home from school. :)

I know spring is sprung because, for the first time this year, Mr SW and I sat out in the garden with a bottle of wine yesterday. Magic.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Barbara, I've had one of my tortoises for 47 years! The other one was given to me by someone who found her and didn't know how to look after her. I'm pretty sure she's as old if not older than my original. I looked after a neighbours tortoise (a male) for a while lasty year, and one of my girls laid eggs. I kept them in an incubator for 12 weeks, but sadly they were not fertile. Even sadder the neighbours tortoise has since died. Maybe it was the excitement of meeting two ladies after all these years.
    Numpty
    blimey..numpty I never had one that laid eggs, what a shame they didnt hatch..that would have been lovely to see..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's dark in the mornings :( but lighter in the evenings! :) It's daffs a go-go round here, crocus too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    I feel more alive.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Robert Browning wrote, ''Oh to be in England now that April's here'', and although it's not quite April yet, I know exactly how he felt. Springtime in England, especially when we have such glorious weather, cannot be beaten.
    My garden is full of beautiful colours at the moment, with daffodils, primroses, and blossom on the trees.

I have a lovely magnolia tree, which was given to me by my mother just before she died in 1989. Then it was a tiny twig, but now it's a mature tree covered in pink flowers which gives me joy every Spring. My Mum would have been so pleased to see how it has thrived and grown, and it's a wonderful living memorial to her.

th_Dec07-April08807.jpg

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Wow! That's really beautiful, Joan. I must tell Julie, our pink flamingo, to have a look. I know she's currently trying to paint magnolia blossom.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I love magnolias and would dearly love to have one like that gracing my garden! What a lovely picture, thank you Joan, it cheered my day. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've been wondering, Numpty, just how does a tortoise frolic? Is it like me? Slowly but happily, snout to the air scenting the blossoms? DD
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    Yes DD, that describes it exactly!
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I've been wondering, Numpty, just how does a tortoise frolic? Is it like me? Slowly but happily, snout to the air scenting the blossoms? DD

Quick everyone! DD's escaped from Galapagos again.
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    DD, do you hibernate as well? I've often thought that would be rather nice!
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Frequently. It's the only way to cope! :) DD
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    I love the cosiness of hibernating over winter but also enjoy the cool of winter.
    Although I think I would love to stay in that state forever,..when this beautiful weather happens I feel new and fresh again.
    We are planning the nursery for my daughters first child ..my first grandchild and it is heaven.
    Spring from now on will always remind me of this lovely time I am experiencing.
    Preparation, newness and life. (sigh)

:D:):):):):D:)
    Ruby
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I know spring is here 'cos there's a frog orgy going off in my pond :shock: :shock: :shock:

Luv
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    Ooh I love frogs! We had a huge pond but had to fill it in last year as it was too much to manage, (husband too busy, me unable). We put a smaller one in closer to the house, but sadly no frogs this year.
    Numpty
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I know spring is here because my OH has started buying plants for our garden which is now very close to being finished! And I have my raised herb garden!! WooHoo!! :D