If at first you don’t succeed….

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 9. Apr 2012, 15:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Following my tendonitis of the hip in mid-January, I have finally, FINALLY done 10 consecutive straight leg raises this morning. Every one was very low and extremely unimpressive :roll: .

What really impresses me is how long it can take to recover from something I wouldn’t have thought was a real biggie – well, not until my leg gave way. I was walking – just – 3 days into it and walking, when I had to, without the zimmer after a week. But those straight leg raises kept defeating me. It wasn’t a matter of forcing it. It was as if the connection wasn’t there.

Here’s the bit the horse riders will like. After about 6 weeks I threw caution to the wind and got back on my iJoy ride exercise ‘horse’ on the grounds of, why not? I might as well give it a go. Just a very gentle 5 mins. As I got off, a thought occurred to me. So I got on the bed and gave it another try. For the first time I actually got my leg off the deck. (You had to look very closely :) .)

I’m putting this up in the hope of encouraging everyone who feels they’re not getting anywhere. Keep plugging away. It’ll happen.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Excellent, every little helps. I have tendonitis in my hands/wrists and it's no fun so in the leg must have been really ouchies.

I remember when I first got back on board, I had to get straight back off as it was just too painful. So I gave it a week and tried again and managed to sit ok but not much else, so i again gave it a few days and I did little bits like that till I was ok. I can't rise to the trot cos of the knees and I miss having a blast up a hill but so long as I can amble up the lanes, the feeling of freedom is indescribably fantastic.

Anyway I'm waffling as usual. Just wanted to say well done for sticking at it.

Fols x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh yes, these things can take time and sometimes they do. :roll: Well persevered Sticky, it can ge very demoralising when you badly want summat to happen and it doesn't - no matter how narrow the distance you raised your leg off the bed and that is what counts. Hurrah! :D DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    Hi Stickywicket.
    you will get there i'm so pleased you can see a improvement.
    take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Well done Sticky.
    Great that you didn't give up.....you'll get with patience and perseverance.
    May
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Hi sticky,

Rounds of applause!

I've never had a big problem with tendonitis, but it took me a long time to recover from muscle weakness due to a long hospital stay last year so I appreciate how difficult it can be to get back on track. My daily physio sessions do exhaust me at times, but I power through with the help of my favourite dance tunes; do you exercise to music at all?

Many thanks for the inspiring thread,
    Phoebe
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • stickywicket
    Thank you everyone for your encouragement. Oh Fols, the number of times I've got on a horse and got straight back off again :roll: Phoenixe, I usually stick a bit of Chopin or Mozart on to relieve the boredom but I do virtually all my exercises either lying or sitting. Strenuous does not come into it :oops:
    Steven Wright
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Go you can do it Sticky. Good choice of music too. Have you heard Alfie Bowe I have just found hin and his last CD has lots of my favorite music - no boardem at all, I have just found Etta James too she is just super. I don't get out much these days :)
  • phoenixoxo
    You're welcome, sticky.

Nothing wrong with non-strenuous activity in my book! And Chopin and Mozart, how lovely. Before everything became too painful I used to play Chopin's Nocturnes on piano and Mozart's clarinet concerto, though not at the same time of course. And I like Etta James too.

Anyway... hope you're continuing to enjoy exercising success!
    Phoebe
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sticky you are getting there and its all down to your determination...carry on the good work we are all behind you....bet you can hears us shouting :D x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Thanks again, everyone.

lululu - I've only just come across him. I do like him. I'm a bit biased in favour of baritones.

phoenixe - You played Chopin Nocturnes :o ? Deep respect. When did you grow the extra fingers :lol: ?

Barbara - you're deafening me, bless you :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Well done Sticky :D
    I knew you'd get there, your perseverance has paid off :!: huge big hugs to you (((((()))))) Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi little and often and not giving up is the only way sometimes be proud you have not given up when that would have been so easy keep going well done val
    val
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixe - You played Chopin Nocturnes :o ? Deep respect. When did you grow the extra fingers :lol: ?

Well, extra fingers, that'd be, um, handy! :lol:
    It was a bit of a battle if I'm honest, but at one stage it was thought I might make it to music college. The joints had other ideas!
    Hope you've had another good workout today :D
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Ha but Alfie sounds so sweet!
  • stickywicket
    Thank you Barbara, Poppyg1rl and Val. It's now routine again. Not high. Certainly not with weights again yet, but routine.

Phoenixe, it must have been so hard if your arthritis messed up your hopes for music college. The piano was the first thing I had to give up but that was probably a kindness to all the neighbours :lol:

Lululu I do like Alfie Boe and all good tenors but my son's a baritone so I'm just a tad biased.
    Steven Wright
  • phoenixoxo
    Phoenixe, it must have been so hard if your arthritis messed up your hopes for music college. The piano was the first thing I had to give up but that was probably a kindness to all the neighbours :lol:

Well, fortunately they weren't my hopes! Just one week at Dartington summer school aged 17 was enough to put me off, as the performance aspects were so stressful. I preferred playing for pleasure and I'm sure your neighbours enjoyed your tinkling on the ivories too. A while ago someone suggested that gentle practice might be good exercise, for fingers, wrists, elbows etc., so I might look into keyboarding again as I miss making music :D
  • stickywicket
    I'm now doing gentle weights again. Only the wheat bag slung over it as yet. I'll leave the old oven gloves containing all my kitchen scales' weights plus a tin of French Onion soup until a later date, though I can now do that again - minus the soup - on the other leg. (I had to give up weights on that, too, as it dragged on the dodgy tendon.)

Anyone, thinking of taking it up - it doesn't have to be French Onion soup, or even soup. Tinned tomatoes work well too. :P
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Good on you Sticky :D

Exercising isn't easy is it .............(statement not question)

After I was so poorly last year I stopped doing mine as (a) I was never well enough and (b) I was losing too much weight.

Last week I tried the exercise bike again and woh I could barely do five minutes let alone my leg exercises. :shock: :shock:

Since then I've got on the bike more regularly and have worked up to 20 minutes again plus my leg exercises afterwards. I'm not at the stage where I enjoy them (I don't think I ever get to that stage) but I do realise I have to do them to keep my muscles strong.

I write this purely to encourage those who have had a break from exercising and find it difficult going back, it can be done.

Anyway we can keep it up together as part of the official 'Joint Revision Society' regime ...............and then go to the pub afterwards of course :wink:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • stickywicket
    lindalegs wrote:
    Last week I tried the exercise bike again and woh I could barely do five minutes let alone my leg exercises. :shock: :shock:

I never feel I'm doing much on my 'horse' exercise machine - until I get back on after a lay off :lol: I envy you the bike. My revision knee bends much better than the other so, when I tried a cycling machine I nearly dislocated the THR. One of those not-to-be-repeated experiences.

Right, I've done all today's exercises. I'll buy the first round.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Good, I've done mine too so just turn round for a mutual pat on the back.

And if yours is the first round mine's a G&T :lol:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • Folara
    Hey stickey,

I've been told to do an exercise to try and straighten my leg back out. My left knee won't go straight anymore and the leg seems to be shortening so the physio has told me to sit and raise my lower leg up until its almost straight, then push it a bit further, hold for 5' then lower. 30 times on each leg (dunno why both cos the rh one isn't bent).

I have tried and tried to do these but my knee just won't completely straighten anymore unless you grab hold of it push it, which is what the physio did. I'm still doing the exercise (I can 10 each leg now) but its agony on my hips and lower back as well as the knees.

Seriously considering giving up on these.

Fols x
  • stickywicket
    Oh, don't give up on it, Fols. If the physio can straighten it, it shows it will go. The reason you can't straighten it is because the muscles aren't strong enough - yet.

When I had the tendonitis in my hip, the docs could lift it up without a problem but when I tried it was as if the wire had been cut. It's only the exercises that strengthen stuff. Without the exercises it'll just bend more and become less useful. That's probably why the physio wants the other leg exercised too - prevention being better than cure. My ancient TKR doesn't straighten either but I do the exercises in order to hang on to what I've got and keep it in as good nick as possible ready for the revision which'll be sooner rather than later.
    Steven Wright
  • Folara
    Thanks hun, I shall stick with it for now. Seeing the physio again next week so might ask if there's anything else I can do.

You are right in that getting the muscles in as good a shape as possible will help in the long run.

Seems so ridiculous when I consider I used to be down the gym 6 days a week for 2 hours a time, with an hour spent on the stepper. Which, incidentally the surgeon blamed for my bad hips lol.

Fols x
  • stickywicket
    only one rule, Fols - you can't win. (But you can give the beggur a good run for its money. :) )

Right, I think the next round's on Legs. If she's paying I'll have a nice single malt.
    Steven Wright
  • Folara
    Hmm I will indulge in a small vodka and sprite then please legs. :lol:

I shouldn't but hey oh, you only live once.

Fols x