Programmes about arthritis

Options
emsjane
emsjane Member Posts: 351
edited 29. Mar 2012, 09:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

It occured to me today, whilst i ambled around the park with my dog, realising that my thoughts are constantly dominated by the pain in my joints as i walk and arthritis, that we don't see many programmes on TV about arthritis and i was wondering why that is!!!

I, for one, would be very interested to watch a programme about the joint damage arthritis does and see what it looks like under the skin and they should do some programmes showing people that arthritis affects all ages and the struggle it is to live and do things whilst in constant pain!!!!

Ive watched lots of other programmes about other disabilities, all very interesting, but i haven't seen any on arthritis! :(
LOVE EMMA X

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I suspect, emsjane, that we are actually not that interesting to the programme makers. There's not much in the way of drama, there is definitely a lack of excitement about it, we don't exactly rate in the 'glamour' stakes of disease/quasi-horror (which so many of these things appear to like) but I appreciate your point: with so many of the poulation affected it would make for interesting viewing for us and those who know have arthritic friends. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I'd watch it :D
    Especially if operations were involved :shock: :lol: I likes a bit of gore lol
    You make a good point though :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barking1
    barking1 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    I think its a great idea,i dont think most people realise how much it affects people, :roll: i think i bore people all the time talking about it because its been on my mind constantly, thats why the forum is great i dont feel bad about talking to you guys because you understand . Jane
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi emsjane and people,

Well, clearly programme makers have missed a trick! As dreamdaisy says, arthritis isn't glamorous, but it is an interesting illness. The 'science bit'/gore factor would work well on telly, combined with stories showing how we cope with daily life. And let's have more arthritis sufferers in soaps etc. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but the only soap I watch is Enders. Janine's gran was a wheelchair user, but they killed her off pretty sharpish.

Great thread!
    Phoebe
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Options
    Hi emsjane & guys,

totally agree with you.........there is not enough know by the general public.......in fact i would go so far as to say some are ignorant about arthritis (in any of its forms).

I'm often asked if the rest is helping my knee, or if living in Spain would help! ;-)

As for the gorey Ops..........I will leave that viewing to you Tony :-)

Julia xx
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Options
    oh good, im glad im not the only one who'd like to see some programmes on arthritis!

I agree with you Tony, id love to see the gore of the operations too, lol.

It would be good to watch a programme that follows a person from pre hip op and the operation and then the recovery!
    LOVE EMMA X
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    :lol: You can watch all kinds of ops on youtube if that rocks, your boat. :lol: I prefer to be put to sleep when I have my operations and know nothing about it until I am back in the hospital bed.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,930
    Options
    Hi Emsjane.
    yes i agee and by seeing the ops we then know what we
    have to have done.
    take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx