cracking knees

Options
freesia
freesia Member Posts: 409
edited 27. Mar 2012, 10:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
:?: What actually causes your knees to make that horrible loud "CRACKING" noise....??? :?:

I have recently been diagnosed with bilateral knee arthritis stage 4... had surgery (not replacements yet - I'm too young - NOT) in December, but the cracking seems to be getting louder and more frequent.... :(

Just wondering what I should do....??

xx
hugs freesia xxx

Comments

• Scarlet
    Scarlet Member Posts: 40
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi freesia
    A quick search on google suggests that there can be many reasons for joints 'cracking', and often it is harmless, but if it is associated with pain, its best to get it checked out. Perhaps you could mention it at your next appointment or make a phonecall to your GP/consultant?

Scarlet
  • Pherstun
    Pherstun Member Posts: 96
    Options
    Mine have cracked for years, especially my left. My manager often comments on it! I wear lightweight knee supports to keep them warm, they don't help with stability. My left knee particularly is out of line when I walk, which I think is why it does it more often. I get pain in my knees but not when they crack, so I'm not worried about it.

Some of my fingers crack as well, they do get a little achy and I find that releasing it helps. I think this is air pockets inside the joints, which could also be the reason for my knees doing it.

Debbie
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think it's something to do with the tendons and ligaments sliding over the joint. Even those without arthritis get creaky, cracking knees. It's entirely normal but if you are concerned then mention it to your GP. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Freesia, My knees have been cracking for years as well as other joints in my body as I type my reply to you my right shouder blade just cracked. wouldn't go rushing to the doctors or hospital because your joints crack now and again, I would go to docs or hospital if they cracked everyday!!
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    Both my knees crack most days now since the surgery.... :roll:

The worst occassion being about 1 week ago, when getting off the sofa and walking into the kitchen my left knee cracked '8' times in that short distance...
    It was uncomfortable / slightly painfull, but not extremely painful... should I be worried...??
    hugs freesia xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If you are worried then mention it to your doc. I sound like a firework display as I totter up and down the stairs! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben