Ankle pain

Options
Pherstun
Pherstun Member Posts: 96
edited 27. Mar 2012, 11:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've had ankle pain for some time now, I'm not sure if it's due to the fused big toe I have. I have to strap my ankle to stop it from moving, which I worry isn't really doing the muscles much good. I walk with two sticks anyway so I don't put as much pressure on that foot, which is making the other side worse too.

If I feel round the ankle I can't find anywhere specific that it hurts, only when the foot is extended I get pain like a knife is stuck in it, or sometimes it's like really bad cramp.

I'm seeing the rheumy in a couple of weeks and will ask about it then but I wondered if anyone else get this please and if so how do you deal with it?

Thanks
Debbie

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Debbie
    Sorry I cant offer any help, I just hope your rheumy will be able to put your mind at rest.
    Please let us know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I'm sorry but I can't remember what, if any, other joints are affected. Certainly the toe won't help but anything above the ankle - knees, hips etc would impact too.

Have you had physio advice about strapping up the ankle? It's usually not considered good to support it like that semi-permanently. I used to do it whenever I needed to walk further than usual but, unless it was exceptionally bad, I tried not to in the house. Have you been given ankle exercises to help support it? I suggest you ask your rheumatologist for advice when you go. A physio might be able to give you some good exercises for it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Both my ankles are troublesome thanks to the OA in them. I also have plantar fascitis in my right food which rears its ugly head (via my heel) from time to time. It is definitely worth mentioning on your next hospital visit - an Xray could show what is going on. I no longer use ankle supports as they are too tight on the leg. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Options
    I agree with DD, you need to get an xray on your ankle! I have arthritis in both my ankles, my left is a bit worse than my right and the symptoms you describe are the same as mine!

It is possible that having your toe fused has had a knock on effect and made your ankle worse and before it would have done otherwise, so you do need to explain this to the rheumy and they may refer you to a podiatrist who could possibly help with some footwear to compensate for the fused toe joint! It is worth asking about these things!
    LOVE EMMA X