Suspected PsA - think the P has appeared. See a Dr or Nurse?

Options
Ldyalb
Ldyalb Member Posts: 85
edited 27. Mar 2012, 13:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have suspected PsA with what looks like Nail P (pits). Since I saw my GP 8 days ago some of my nails have started to detach, but only by a small amount. I decided to see a Nurse about them as my GP isn't available for another month unless I queue up from 8am one morning to book an appointment when the surgery opens at 8:30. I booked to see the Nurse on Friday, decided that if she felt I needed to see a Dr at least I wouldn't waste a morning queuing. The main thing I wanted was advice about keeping them clean and to have them noted on my records.

My right elbow has been itchy, a few days ago there was a tiny patch of flakey skin half way between the inside bit and the outside bit on the side nearest my body. Today that patch is bigger (10 pence coin sort of size), with little white flakes and is itchy. There's a smaller patch nearby heading towards the outside of my elbow and a penny sized patch on the outside of the elbow, right on the joint. The patches aren't raised, and aren't red underneath, one is a little pinkish at one side, looks like a spot had been there.

I've photographed for my records (as an aside my pictures look freaky - as I have hypermobility my elbows bend backwards, taking a photo of my elbow bent backwards, but looking at the outside of it is odd - it's just a massive hole :shock:)

I rang the surgery to see if my GP is available tomorrow, he's on leave all week. The surgery shuts at 11am tomorrow and the two available Drs are my old GP who wouldn't take my swollen fingers seriously and another one who my parents see. I didn't like him much when I saw him but my Mum saw him that day too and said he was clearly having an off day. So I think I'm prepared to try him again.

Not sure if it's worth bothering a Dr for though? I have emollient creams (E45, Diprobase and Aqueous) already for my Eczema and dry feet. But if it is just Eczema then I'd like to know, and if it is P then it would be nice to know I'm not going crazy whilst I'm waiting to see the Rheumy.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    P is a whole different ball game to eczema and eczema creams may not be the best thing for it. P happens when the immune system goes into overdrive causing one's skin to renew itself every 3-4 days rather than the usual 28-31, hence the flakes and the redness: as it was explained to me the flakes are dead skin and the red is the raw, new skin. I have Dovobet and use aqueous cream to wash and moisturise - I find that E45 does not react well with me and the aqueous is a darn sight cheaper which is an added bonus. :) We cannot diagnose rashes etc as we are not docs, I think it best that you see someone and soon so that you can get 'proper' help. I get my P on my scalp, ankles, palms and soles - the latter is especially miserable but the sulphasalazine I take does take most of it away and stops it occurring. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Ldyalb
    Ldyalb Member Posts: 85
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks, I did initially treat the patch with E45 lotion to soothe the itching and burning a few days ago, it's now bigger and much more itchy and burning than last time. I'm reluctant to put anything on it in case it causes a nasty reaction. My skin can be quite sensitive.

My Mum has a patch of dry skin on her elbow which is red with white flakes and slightly raised (she showed me when I showed her my white patch). So I think if it is P we've found the original culprit lol :lol: Every woman in Mum's family is prescribed Diprobase for dry hands, except me - mine's for my poor feet which are always dry. So are my hands but I don't have to walk on those. I don't think that's P though as it responds well to a Ped Egg and there's no redness - just hard white skin. I am going to get Mum to speak to her family though and see if anyone's every been told they have P.

I will go and brave the 8am queue tomorrow and see if I can see a GP. If not then I'll just have to wait to see the Nurse on Friday morning as I'm away tomorrow. I have a similar recurring patch of flakey skin on my shoulder which has reappeared, right arm again and burning and itching. Hopefully the GP can prescribe me so itch relief, it's very irritating.