Has anyone else had or having elbow replacements?

Options
AliceKay
AliceKay Member Posts: 6
edited 30. Mar 2012, 09:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there,

I'm new to this... I was dianosed with RA aged 10 and am now 23 which I have in every joint except my right ankle (Random!). Since the day I was diagnosed, discovering when I had my first blood test it was realised my arms don't straighten. This has got worse over the years that now they are completely fixed in a 90 degree angle - I have no movement, my arms are extremely painful and basically useless as have no strengh.

I have had 3 operations on them which includes removals of bone and clear out of joints but the disease is so agressive this didnt help. My surgeons have said its now time for full elbow replacements. My elbows have been custom made in America to fit my small bones and arrive shortly.

Has anyone else had elbow replacements or anything similar that could let me know what to expect with pain? mobility? outcome?

I am having my first elbow replaced on May 17th then second elbow replaced on July 3rd at the royal national orthopaedic hospital in Stanmore London.

Any information anyone has would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi Alicekay
    A very warm welcome form me, gosh you have been through so much in your young life,
    I do wish I could help with some advice, but I just want to add my support, and say we are always here for you to talk to, it really does help to talk to people that understand some of what you are going through.
    Hopefully someone will be along that can help, but I dont remember hearing of anyone on here having a new elbow, but I may be wrong
    I do wish you well with everything
    you take care xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Alicekay, oh lordy, oh dearie dearie me, I have no idea what to say that could possibly help. I am still making do with my 'original' skeleton (and what rubbish it is) and, despite being on here for nearly two years, I cannot remember anyone having this kind of operation. I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this at such a young age, and I sincerely hope that someone who knows about this will spot your post and reply. I reckon we can help with moral support and loads of encouragement but as to your specific circumstances, well, I am not so sure. :oops: I wonder if the Helpline would have any more information? It is a free phone call and the number is listed at the top of the page. I wish you well and please, talk to us - we can understand some of it if not all of it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hello Alice,

I'm afraid that I haven't spoken to anyone who has had an elbow replacement. I just wanted to say hi and to welcome you to this lovely place especially as we are the same age and live fairly nearish to one another. I'm so sorry to hear you've had so much to deal with and wish you nothing but luck with your upcoming operations. I hope someone can come along to help you soon. Have you spoken to or emailed the Arthritis Care Helpline? Also, NRAS have a fantastic helpline too and might be able to give you some more specific advice.

Take good care of yourself and keep us updated on your journey.
    Sophie
  • AliceKay
    Options
    Thank you so much for your supportive and kind comments. I never usually speak to people who go through the same pain and frustration so it means alot.

I havent really realised that elbow replacements are not so much heard of, although when doing my research on the operations online I havent had much joy finding out the information I wanted to know. I think I will take your advise and call the helpline and see if they have anymore information they could tell me.

I am actually quite excited at the moment at the thought of getting my new elbows although I will be a bag of nerves the day before! My elbows have taken nearly 6 months to make in America and to get here so its been a long journey. I am very much looking forward to be able to walk along holding my fiances hand for the first time and drinking from a cup normally, without the straw, after the operations - its the little things!

I may do a blog with updates of before, during and after the operations so I will keep you posted if i do.

I hope your all doing ok and enjoying this lovely weather :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    AliceKay wrote:
    I am very much looking forward to be able to walk along holding my fiances hand for the first time

Oh AliceKay, my eyes have gone all prickly reading that! Even after all these years of arthritis I still take some stuff for granted. In fact, if I couldn't hold Mr SW's hand I'd be extremely wobbly in some situations. Thank you for bringing me back to reality.

I'm sorry, I can't help with elbows either but, if they're as good as my hips and knees have been, you're in for a ball.

Hey, will you have dual nationality once they're in? :lol:

I hope it all goes brilliantly. And I want to know how it feels to walk along holding his hand. Please keep us in the loop.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • AliceKay
    Options
    Awh i'm sorry to make your eyes go prickly.... We are getting married next March and I plan not to let his hand go all day!

Hopefully my new elbows will be as successful as your new knees and hips, and yes I guess your right... I will be 'part American' - makes me a little unique doesnt it!

Thank you so much and I will posted on the outcome :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh, I envy you that prospect! I haven't walked along holding my beloved's hand for years, thanks to crutches and now the rollator. :( Hey-ho. I wish you the very best with the operations and let's hope your Yankee Doodle Dandy elbows prove to be just that! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben