Tomatoes and old wives tales

Options
JasmineTheodora
JasmineTheodora Member Posts: 21
edited 28. Mar 2012, 16:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
A friend of mine with OA in her hips, a similar condition to mine but not as bad says cutting out tomatoes from her diet has helped. Could this possibly be true? Has anyone tried this, or do you have any other old wives tales to suggest.

My GP says the best thing I can do is maintain a healthy weight. That's really what I focus on and some exercise too.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jasmine

Welcome to the forum. Your gp is correct about eating a healthy diet. By all means omit tomatoes from your diet for a time to see if it helps. I am aware that tomatoes make my OA a little worse especially if I eat a lots of the wonderful home grown ones from our garden and allotment, but they are so delicious that I do not stop eating them. :wink: There are quite a few other vegetables ie nightshade foods, that some people say aggravate their arthritis. Taking cider vinegar daily is meant to cure all too!

Exercise is good and I swear by doing my daily stretching exercises that this keeps me more mobile than I would otherwise be. :D

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    People react in different ways to certain dietary items. I know that my OA is better if I omit pickles and chutneys. :( (Needless to say it's always stuff you like that has to be ditched.) Others on here have cut out meat, dairy, wheat etc and it has helped them, so basically you won't know until you try. I think the cider vinegar works for those who like to think they have arthritis - for those of us that actually do, well, the fact the forum exists is testament enough to its lack of universal efficacy. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Tomatoes dont affect my OA but I have read that the nightshade family affects people with RA.....how true this is I dont know

Love
    Hileena
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    Tomatoes are a big no no for people for with RA.

However I have been told that Red Pepper is very good for RA.

I think we have should have a sticky for what foods are good for us etc?
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Around thirty years ago when I just had mild aches and pains, I stoped eating tomatoes and oranges and other citrus fruits, if I did eat them I could feel it the next day.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I have RA and avoid raw tomatoes , citrus , potatoes , aubergines , dairy foods and alcohol . Doesn't work for everyone ; but definitely helps me if I watch my diet . Jillyb