Pocket Duties for tomorrow please :-)

Options
JuliaHod12
JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
edited 30. Mar 2012, 02:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Guys

A bit nervous about seeing my consultant tomorrow morning.
As some of you might know, my 3rd arthroscopy on my left knee was only last July and revealed Grade 4 OA.
I'm not sure he will be overjoyed at seeing me quite so soon!

I've posted before about my indecision, and quickly came to the conclusion i think the timing is right for TKR............so will see what he advises and go from there.

Thanks in anticipation

Julia :-)

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Julia

I wish you all the best at your forthcomng appointment tomorrow. It is good that you have made up your mind as to what you would like and I only hope that he goes along with it and does not make some of the many excuses knee consultants do as to why it is best to wait as long as possible. :roll: As it is only 8 months since your last arthro at least he is aware how badly your knee does need to be replaced.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • JuliaHod12
    Options
    Thanks Elna, appreciate it :-) xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Count me in too! Let us know how you get on, please. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • JuliaHod12
    Options
    Thanks DD, appreciate it and will report back! :-)
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi Julia,

Well, I can't add anything to the lovely posts above, but my thoughts will be with you tomorrow and I hope your appointment goes well. It'll be good to know how you get on.

Best of luck!
    Phoebe
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Options
    Heya Julia

Good luck with your appointment. If you feel the time is right don't let them talk you out of it.

I shall be in your pocket with a home made cupcake to cheer you up.

Fols x
  • JuliaHod12
    Options
    Thanks phoenixe and thanks fols :-)
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    You probably wont need it but a little Spanish sunshine and myself will be present and correct
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Julia
    I will definitely be in your pocket..and I really do wish you well with it all..you do seem to be in the right frame of mind...and dont forget if you have any questions write them all down.xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • JuliaHod12
    Options
    Thanks tonesp and barbara :-)

I'm not really expecting much resistance to the TKR as he saw the state of my knee 8 months ago and pretty much suggested it might not be too long!
    The other benefit is i am privately funded via work, so i wont have the NHS budget constraints as the excuse for further delay.
    It's blatantly obvious the arthroscopies haven't worked for any sustained length of time and the "paindullers" are pretty much ineffective, so we've come to an impasse.

Julia :-)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I hope it all goes to plan, Julia. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JuliaHod12
    Options
    thanks sticky :-) xx
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    Hi Julia

Wishing you 'good luck' with the consultant tommorrow...

I too have OA grade 4 in both knees... :(

However, My GP took a long time to take the pain seriously and I was living on painkillers for 2-3 years before finally seeing a consultant... which obviously seemed to late... perhaps in hindsight something could have been done earlier...

I have been told by my consultant on my last visit that replacements are on the cards - it's just a matter of how long I can last relatively painfree.. thats a laugh..

Seeing him again in 3 months - in his words "if not sooner" I guess I'll have to see how I go...

I feel that if I'm offered replacements I'm going to take them, I don't see why any of us should suffer pain if there is a 'possible solution'

I'll be thinking of you GOOD LUCK xx
    hugs freesia xxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I'll be there too. Will bring Ra along with me..
    I've not bin around for a couple of days so I'm hoping that everyone assumes I'm available for pocket duties lol.

Best wishes
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Good Luck for tomorrow Julia,as Sticky said you must do exercises especially after op to give your knee best chance for good recovery.XX
  • JuliaHod12
    Options
    Thanks Freesia :-)
    I've had the problems for about 2/ 3 years too and push has come to shove now!

Tony
    It wouldnt be the same without you in my pocket doing the fandango.......hope you are recovering xx

Julia x
  • barking1
    barking1 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    I will be there in your pocket, hope it goes well for you xx jane
  • JuliaHod12
    Options
    thanks diamond, thanks jane :-) xx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    lol
    Fandango? I believe you're mistaken my dear.. That's the Arthurites Shuffle :D
    Best of luck for today..
    It's early yet but if I don't jump in the pocket now I'll forget lol...
    What's for breakfast? Ra likes Christmas cake :shock: I'll have jam on toast please, may as well have virtual toast, can't have wheat :roll:

Hope to hear from you later, telling us how well it went :D
    And, I'm not so bad thank you hun. My steroid injection is firing on all cylinders, I've got tons of energy, but.. My body doesn't think it can cope haha..
    JuliaHod12 wrote:
    Thanks Freesia :-)
    I've had the problems for about 2/ 3 years too and push has come to shove now!

Tony
    It wouldnt be the same without you in my pocket doing the fandango.......hope you are recovering xx

Julia x
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • JuliaHod12
    Options
    Were you lot having a right old rave up in my pocket? ;-)

Well the verdict is the TKR is inevitable in the left knee and he is suggesting the right knee is not far behind it, but we're leaving that one alone for now! ;-)

OH was with me and persuaded me to give the steroid injections a go, so that we can fully say all alternative avenues have been explored, had immediate injection in left knee............so time will tell! :-)

Follow up appointment in 6 weeks or so to assess helpfulness of injection and go from there.
    In the meantime i can excercise and lose weight in anticptaion of anything further!

Thanks again all for the support

love
    Julia xxx
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Hi Julia, now you rest up for next 48hrs to let steroid hopefully work its magic.Glad you are going to get tkr preferrable sooner,so that you can enjoy summer.Kind Regards.xx
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Options
    Keeping everything firmly crossed that the injection gives you some relief so you can get a few exercises in before the op. I got a few to do from the physio yesterday so I can remind you when I'm doing mine :D

Be good to get that knee sorted so you can get on with life a bit more.

Fols x
  • jaja
    jaja Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi julia.....Hope all goes well...I'll sit in the corner and support you...

JAJA
  • tjt6768
    Options
    as mentioned, rest as much as possible for 24-48 hours.. Gives em the best chance of working...
    Best of luck with it
    :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi again Julia,

I've had steroid injections in the past and they've worked wonders for me! I hope yours helps too :D

Best wishes,
    Phoebe
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)