Just had acupuncture from my physio on NHS

Options
Folara
Folara Member Posts: 568
edited 5. Apr 2012, 04:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am really surprised! I didn't think NHS did acupuncture. Moreover I have another appointment with the physiotherapist on Monday for more treatment.

Last time I was referred to the physio I had a 10 min session where I was shown some exercises that were impossible for me to do and told to go away. That was it.

Oh and forgot to say, there were no needles used! It was done with a squeaking machine thing that felt like small electrical charges.

Physio was a bit surprised when he asked me what bit needed treatment and I rattled off the long list so he settled for the left knee for now as it refuses to straighten without then getting stuck.

So I am now waiting to see what happens.

Fols x

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Fols
    I was offered acupuncture by the pain clinic, but I turned it down, I wished I hadn't now there are quite a fw people on here that have been helped by it...must say I havent heard about the machine, please let us know how you get on with it...I do hope you get some relief from it.x
    Love
    Barbara
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Options
    Excellent news Fols..........hope for a good outcome for you :-)
    I havent been offered any alternative therapies, maybe it is a regional thing x
  • jaja
    jaja Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi fols...thats very interesting...i presume it was done to help with pain relieve but....i was listening to the radio the other day and a doctor was talking about the very good results for alergies and that its used to lower the bodies ummune system which attacks itself (which is what an allergic reaction is) and i thought Oh like meth? and wondered if it could be used in this way for us?
    has anyone had this suggested?

JAJA
  • jaja
    Options
    Hi fols...thats very interesting...i presume it was done to help with pain relieve but....i was listening to the radio the other day and a doctor was talking about the very good results for alergies and that its used to lower the bodies ummune system which attacks itself (which is what an allergic reaction is) and i thought Oh like meth? and wondered if it could be used in this way for us?
    has anyone had this suggested?

JAJA
  • jaja
    Options
    Hi all....sos for that i dont know what happened....i know im batty and dont have full control of me hands but never the less...

JAJA
  • Folara
    Options
    Lol I do things like that too so nvm.

I have to say I was sceptical but in all honesty my knee really does feel less stiff and sore today. Don't know how long it will last for but I'm enjoying it while I can.

Fols x
  • jaja
    Options
    Hi...Oh thats really good these things are really worth a try arnt they...Im glad you'v got some relief constant pain is so grinding....

JAJA
  • Folara
    Options
    Thanks JAJA. I'm of the mind that I will try anything once, if it might help. You just never know.

Fols x
  • ValOrient
    ValOrient Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Just a little input from me on this. Having suffered from OA in my neck since I was 28 (am 46 now) I was intrigued to be offered acupuncture a few years ago as part of private physio following a rear-end shunt (done through our insurance company). I found it left my neck feeling the best it has done in years and I would not hesitate to have it done again, I just can't afford to pay for it privately :(

It also is pretty much painless and leaves you feeling so relaxed you can hardly bear to sit up!
  • Folara
    Options
    Had my second lot today and I have to admit it hurt. He did my left hip and used the needles not the little box, he told me when to say I could feel it but I didn't need to as I almost leapt off the bed. Was like severe sciatica but only for a second. He said that's normal when everything is so badly locked up but I'm not too sure I want to have that done again.

Fols x
  • BikerAngel
    BikerAngel Member Posts: 122
    Options
    I had it and ended up with 36 needles in me all over and it worked for my first lot of sessions and she fazed it out instead of just stopping after 6wks we went to fortnight then 3 week then month etc till it stopped then when I went back for another course it did not work even after she hooked me up to the electro pulse with the needles. I have to say if it works then keep going as it is good and I got mine from my Dr so it was only £1 to help with cost of needles as she only gets funded for the treatment has to buy needles. I would gladly pay more as it was good when it worked. Good luck and hope you get relief.
    Tracey
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    Hi and lucky you, its been several years since had my sessions which i enjouyed and benefited from immensly.

I lost count as drifted off bikerangel, dnt know if that was thedesired effect but felt great after.

hope all goes well, and if anyone is offered and in doubt, what have you to lose . It doesnt hurt and you may benefit.

Take care.xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • Emily
    Emily Member Posts: 124
    Options
    I have just got back from having acupuncture from physio for my neck he put needles in my thumb area of both hand on my left hand where I had injury that was painful when he putting needles in but the other thumb was OK did not feel anything. I got three needles in my neck area. The needle he put in my left side of neck was painful when the area where he was inserting it. The needles he put the other two of my neck was OK. I felt good afterwards but it did not last long.

The physio said that the acupuncture would relieve the pressure in my neck

I also had acupuncture for my back in 1996 this in the NHS hospital Royal Free. It was the same felt good afterward but only lasted a little while.
  • Folara
    Options
    I am NEVER having acupuncture into my hip again. It caused a really horrible bout of sciatica and I have had back ache (in a different place) ever since. I don't get why it makes my knees feel better but it did that to my hip/back.

I am now a bit wary of having it done on my right shoulder as I don't want that nerve aggravated cos then I can't even use my crutches.

Fols x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Fols,

I agree sometimes you don't want it done eh?! I had it on my neck for a bit and that was ok but he branched out and did the lumber and then attached the electrodes to the needles.... It kinda activated it somehow so I stopped going.

Its one of those things you don;t know if it will help till you try it.... my therory is it depends how advanced it is... though it helped with the trigger points of the neck a bit... I think..... :wink::lol: Cris x