The Cost of living ££sss

Options
waddle
waddle Member Posts: 116
edited 30. Mar 2012, 03:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
is it just me or are prices going up on a day to day basis :shock:
bread round here is now nearer £1.50 a loaf, what happened to the 50p loaf, surely it wasnt that long ago, as for petrol, omg my local garage has gone from £1.39p to £1.48 in a few days, no doubt this is what the government planned and they are rubbing there hands with glee. they have really put panic out there about the fuel strikes. so they can rip us off even more.

utility bills will no doubt go up again etc.

what does everyone else think. are you sick of prices rises daily etc.?
whats the biggest price jump on food items you have seen in the past few weeks?

i think rip off britan has been taken to a new level :(
Waddle :)

Comments

• coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    i used to know roughly how much my shopping would come to each week and know i had enough. now i take what money i have and a shopping list of what i really need and hope i can manage most of it. Esa does not = luxury living, some weeks i have to choose between heating and bills and food. i worry about how many people are going to end up in real trouble if cost go up much more, gone are the days that beans on toast was a chheep meal.

i dont smoke or drink, go out to bingo or anything like that and often wonder how people manage to do these things, they cost so much now.

i too think the scare mongering over petrol is wrong. i am having to concider loosing my car as it is so expencive to run. then i will be house bound, so i dont know what is worse. broke and having a car there to use once in a while or house bound but a bit better off.

i fear it will all get worse before it gets better. sorry for the doom and gloom.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    If fuel prices rise then transport costs rise so food prices rise.

I think the 50p loaf was always a loss leader. Having said that, I've just bought a M'sons wholemeal for 47p and they weren't even trumpeting the low price.

The price rise that's puzzled me is tinned salmon. They usually have lots of bogoffs around Christmas wherever you go. Last Christmas it didn't happen and the price has been around £2 for a medium sized tin ever since. But I can still buy 6 fresh salmon fillets for £10. Personally, I love the fresh stuff but Mr SW only likes tinned.

As for petrol - last time everyone was panic buying and petrol stations were running out of it, one local garage, which had plenty, put their prices up about 5p per litre more than anyone else. People bought then but, as soon as the crisis was over, they avoided it like the plague and it went out of business.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    OMG - what a topic today - living near the seaside - we get really stung with petrol prices, the garages seem to rise their prices even more in the holiday seasons with tourist coming down ect... :(

And Tesco... well.... their prices don't make any sense, one week something might be under £1 then they double the price the next week, simply does not make sense at all... I don't have the energy to trail around all the shops to price compare...!! too tired...but our weekly spend on groceries has shot up... and we don't live on luxuries believe me...!! again don't smoke & don't drink - we splash out on weekend meals (at home) maybe a really nice chinese selection on Saturday night & a roast on Sunday, but apart from that we live / eat quite simply, we don't eat out too expensive....
    Sorry to lower the tone but even the price of loo roll is silly around £5 for a 9 pack of andrex....!!!

Rant over....

Have a good day ladies & gents xx
    hugs freesia xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Many items have been reduced in size but are costing the same as the previous larger amounts. Hopefully the public is not fooled.

Yep can still get bread around a pound from our local supermarkets. I suppose the high cost of petrol will result in even more price rises.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    The supermarkets still sell their own make of sliced loaf for about 60p - 70p. I agree food prices rise on a weekly basis.

Went in to buy their own brand of 12 minute cook pasta and the last lot cost £1.18 and this week cost £1.75. What the supermarket had done was charge the same for both the quick cook and the 12 minute cook pasta. Grrrh. :wink: Still bought it though.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    As per tkachev....

I too have noticed that there is less product in the same packaging... I got some Bold 2-in-1 liquid the other day, exactly the same size plastic bottle but with less ml's in the bottle - meaning less washes... CHEEKY marketing...

I will be more vidulant in future...

:o
    hugs freesia xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Waddle

l agree it seems like things go up, not by a penny like they used to, but by 30p or 40p a time :shock:

I have noticed them putting a price up from it's original.....then a few weeks later dropping it back and calling it a price cut :x fibbers!

Love

Toni xx
  • waddle
    Options
    its all a con these price deals that they do. sadly my nearest super market is miles away so i have to rely on my local shop and spar and they can be silly prices. mind my last trip to the super market wasnt much better,

the government wont have to worry about cutting benifit costs soon, we will all have become house bound (petrol to high) and starve. or is that there secret plan :shock: :wink: ( im messing :D )

we have a charity food bank set up near here to help people who are struggling to cope. there client numbers have gone up 75% in the past 12 months and its not just those on benifit that are turning to them now. next it will be soup kitchens.

proud to belong to a country which send billoions and billions of pounds over seas to aid the poor and turns a blind eye to the mess they are creating and poverty that is growing daily in this country.
  • waddle
    Options
    sorry rant over :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: